How to Deal With an Ebay Buyer Scam? (swapped pickups on return)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Musekatcher, Aug 18, 2019.

1. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

If you know for a fact he modded it, he now owns it per ebay and paypal. Let them know. They'll tell him to get lost.

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I sold an old Bassman head a few years back and the guy similarly said it wasn't working properly. I didn't even haggle over it and ate the cost of shipping just to get it back. I'd try to get it out of his hands and give him a refund. Hopefully you're only out a little bit in the end.

bloomz, Wildcard_35 and telemnemonics like this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's possible that rather than a scam, you are dealing with an idiot who made a string of mistakes and is too dumb to see it is his own fault, not yours.

I find it easier to assume for example that a driver who cuts me off is a scared confused elderly person, rather than assuming it's a nasty aggressor with a personal vendetta against me.
    Doesn't matter if I'm right or wrong really.
    Saves me the stress of getting mad...

Rowdyman, bloomz, JayFreddy and 5 others like this.
  4. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago , when I sold nice Klusons to a scammer.
    He sent me back ugly and worn out Klusons , kept the originals and got a refund from idiotbay.

5. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

I recommend that you give him absolutely zero benefit of the doubt, and treat this like a setup for a scam (and it sounds like you’re already doing that). Take whatever steps you need to protect yourself, and concede nothing to the guy.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

To the OP - since your post was detailed and vague at the same time I’ll only say this as a flat fact :

If this purchase involved PayPal - you have no choice .

If you sell on EBay and you accept PayPal , you can be forced to make a refund for 6 mos/half a year.

For NO reason.

They will NOT rule in your favor.

Good luck - hopefully the the imbecile gamer doesn’t know to go through PayPal if that’s how the transaction was handled.

bloomz and JayFreddy like this.
  7. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

"But the fact that he attempted to put it back stock, and has already "worked" on it,"

That voids anything on your part. Once he's worked on it the ebay "warranty" is void. Get ebay on the phone and have them look at the messages. This happened to me (as a seller) and I got my money back within minutes.

Wildcard_35 and LunarSlingShot like this.
  8. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Two sides to every story.
    He claims it wasn't as described.
    You say it was well described.
    Explain it to the eBay folks.
    Let them sort it out.
    They are charging you a fee, make them earn it.

bloomz, Wildcard_35 and telemnemonics like this.
  9. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

I've said it before, & I'll say it again...it is incredibly foolish to buy a big ticket or personal item like a guitar online. Nothing but problems. Only thing I buy online is pedal steel stuff, like strings or accessories 'cause local music stores ain't got 'em. I dunno; maybe it's me...but I gotta play a guitar personally for a long time before I plunk down the Benjamins. I am very particlular about what I play (vintage original or Custom Shop ONLY). And I wouldn't even THINK about buying a vintage guitar online. This rule goes ESPECIALLY for vehicles.

Milspec likes this.
  10. Mike Eskimo

Buyer vs Seller ?

On EBay ?

:lol::lol::lol:

Sort it out ?

Explain it to them ?

Make them earn the fee they charge ?

People on this forum are usually so jaded and cynical and “been there/done that” and experienced and professional and full of common sense and then someone brings up EBay/PayPal and -

suddenly people think that life is about kittens and sunshine and justice will prevail and hold someone’s feet to the fire , etc.

It’s really kind of cute.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    bloomz likes this.
  11. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

How do we know it’s a scam until the guitar is returned?

I had 2 deals like this, one was a pure scam, long story not worth getting into but ruined my holiday season. Scammer was banned from eBay about 2 weeks later.

The other was similar to described on a perfectly described by me Tele. Guy obviously wanted a try out. He’d tweaked it a bit but it was all there on return. I set it up again and sold it locally instead.

I no longer sell any item on eBay at over $250.

Op pics plz when it comes back? Good luck with it. Easy for me to say but try not to get too worked up about it. If it’s paypal as others have said methinks all you can do is hope for the best.

If he threatens you of course that’s a whole different deal involving law enforcement.

12. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Mike
    Years ago, on my very first eBay transaction, the buyer filed a claim against me.
    I went through the eBay arbitration process and was found to be the one in the right.
    Admittedly, I haven't used eBay in years but when I followed through on a tour deal it worked for me.

I do not doubt others have been unsatisfied. I'm sure the crazy lady who didn't get her way against me is one.

stinkey and ladave like this.
  13. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

Consumerism at its worst...
    I think it has grown a lot with on line trade: people are now used to buy with no second thought, knowing they can return the item. And, on the other end of the line, some merchants sell more and more crap, hoping several buyers won’t take the time or effort to return the item.
    There is so much satisfaction in buying the right item after having taken the time to make the right purchase.

Milspec likes this.
  14. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Ill probably regret it, but i agreed to have the guitar shipped back. If it has been modified or stripped, i think i can reduce the refund, or ship it back to the buyer. This was one of ebays options. Im prepared for a damaged pickup(s) from sloppy soldering. Used replacements arent cheap, and not many available. Odd option for ebay to offer, but will allow me to confirm if the pickups are ok, and the wiring is at (his) fault. I know, probably sucker bait.

15. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Yeah EBay has subverted the basic premise and concept of the Auction. An auction used to be well-understood to be a means where a buyer could get some good bargains, and/or find items that were no longer sold via retail. Offsetting those advantages it was accepted that the buyer was always taking more risk than the seller, because once your bid was accepted and you took ownership, it was final.
    Online auctions have turned that around and mutated it into a free-for-all, at least the eBay auctions.

Telekarster, FloInPA and EsquireBoy like this.
  16. Mike Eskimo

Years ago.

And - like I said, forget eBay.

If the buyer has paid with PayPal they can screw you royally and many do.

There is a written statement by PayPal that they cannot guarantee the return of your item even though they have found against you , the seller, and already refunded the buyer what he paid.

Speaking of years ago, EBay found out years ago that the strategy of finding for the buyer in disputes the vast majority of the time worked for them.

985plowboy likes this.
  17. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

I would definitely contact Ebay CS dept. and let them know ASAP. I've had good exp with them regarding things like this, and they will duely note your account about your complaint. I'd also ask them specifically what they recommed you do. Be SURE to get the names of any/all CSR's you talk to. I haven't sold on there in years, but I've bought plenty... even recently. I've been a member out there since they started. Given whatever they tell you to do, I wouldn't refund anything until the thing is physically back in my hands and I can inspect it. If ANYTHING is bonkers then I'd contact ebay again immediately to let them know... including pics before and after, and let them deal with it from there. And... if something is missing/broken then I'd be putting that on ebay to take care of too... that's what they have insurance for... Just my 2 cents...

FloInPA likes this.
  18. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I had a guy buy some new cowboy boots, leave positive feedback and then a week later send a threat of a lawsuit against me if I didn't give him a full refund. o_O
    I offered a refund if he shipped the boots back and they were in the same condition as when I had sent them. Never heard back from him again. I think he just tries it on a week after sellers auctions have ended hoping I was no longer checking my ebay messages.

If a guy pushed his luck scamming me I have his address from posting the items. It wouldn't be unlike me to take a trip and pay a personal visit for something like that.

guitphil, stratofortress and Milspec like this.
  19. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

You've flown in the face of lots of good advice here. It's on you now.

JayFreddy and Telekarster like this.
  20. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

My advice is to not even open it without a camera filming the unboxing. Preferrably, I would open it up at the local luthier shop and let that person evaluate the condition. Everything else will just be heresay and that means you will never win the argument. Having the professional present to evaluate the situation on camera will trump the buyer's claims in any court. Do that, and you can box his ears back if he continues to muck with you or your feedback rating.

Telekarster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.