How to date a Hot Rod DeVille?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Telecaster Joe, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Telecaster Joe

Telecaster Joe Tele-Meister

I would like to find out the manucfacture date of my DeVille. Is there a way of reading the serial number or would a date be stamped somewhere? I bought the amp used a little over a year ago. It is American made.

2. 94bamf

94bamf Tele-Meister

I was expecting the "other" kind of "date" when I read the thread title. I couldn't probably help with that one either, but the thread might have been a more interesting read..:D

Sorry, I can't help with your question.

3. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

What's the purpose of knowing the "date" of a non-vintage piece?

4. Telecaster Joe

I all ready got to home plate. I just want to know how old she is.

Doorlord likes this.
  5. Telecaster Joe

It would serve the purpose of me knowing the age of the amp. What, you've never been interested in knowing the age of a non-vintage item? What about your car or house?

For starters if I ever want to sell the amp, it would be helpful to know how old it is. It would also give me a good indication as to when I should get the amp serviced.

Not for nothing, but I don't post alot on this forum these days. The reason being is that the level of snobbery is quite off putting. For the most part most members are pretty helpful and quite freindly, but why do so some people find the need to nit pick and read into everything? If you don't have anything helpful to add, give your fingers a rest, and let someone who does respond.

Sorry for the rant. I'll go back to lurking now.

DDickens likes this.
  6. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

If you're happy now, do you really want to know her age? Or think about her previous owners? ;)

- Scott

7. ThermionicScott

Sorry about the unhelpfulness. I don't know much about the newer amps, but you might try scrutinizing the circuit boards for revision numbers or copyright dates, which would narrow it down a little.

- Scott

8. sjhusting

sjhusting Tele-Afflicted

kookaburra likes this.
  9. Telecaster Joe

No, don't misunderstand me. Humor is totaly cool.

10. johnny7

johnny7 Tele-Meister

I have been happily married to my HRD for the last 5 years. She is a little older than the new ones and she was made in the USA. After rescuing her from the EBay pimp that was cleaning his stable, my strat just fell in love. The next thing I know she needed a tube job and then one of those fancy cases to protect her from the other amps that got jealous.

John

11. Telecaster Joe

THANKS!:lol: Now that's what I'm talking about. I really do appreciate the help.

Acording to that site my amp was made in March of 2001. Cool.

12. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I wan't trying to be snobbish, I honestly don't understand how it could be helpful information. It's not like you're going to miss its 50,000-mile service check if you don't know. It's not a piece of information that is ever likely to affect the value of the piece.

You service a tube amp when it needs it, not based on some schedule according to age.

13. Telecaster Joe

Yeah, I like this amp alot too. Alot of people dog these things, but I love mine. Some say it's too loud. I combat that by turning the volume down and useing the second input. If I want it to break up a little at a low volume I just use the drive channel with the master way down. Don't get me wrong this amp can get pretty loud, but is that really a bad thing?

One thing I do wonder about though, is if I should have gotten the 410 version instead of the 212.

14. sjhusting

sjhusting Tele-Afflicted

Ugh. I've got a 2x12. I can't imagine schlepping a 4x10.

steven

15. Telecaster Joe

Why do you have to understand my reasoning? Does it really matter if you think it's helpful information or not? Weather I wanted to know to satisfy my own curiosity or because I want to make a friggin' birthday cake for my amp WHO CARES!?

As for not trying to be a snob, you are only proving my point by further nit picking and reading into what my reasons for asking are, and finding a way to contradict me, still.

My question has been answered. Let it go.

kookaburra likes this.
  16. Guitar_Ninja

Guitar_Ninja Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

If you look on the back of the amp chassis there should be a Quality Assurance sticker inside with two letters written on it. The first letter denotes the year the amp was made, the second letter denotes the month.

1990 - A
    1991 - B
    1992 - C
    etc.

January - A
    February - B
    March - C
    etc.

For instance, my Twin is stamped KK, meaning it was manufactured in November, 2000.

Edit: Beaten. And what's with all the thread****ting recently? This site's developing a real HC vibe.

kookaburra likes this.
  17. ShortBuSX

ShortBuSX Tele-Holic

Finally, somebody who gets it! That second input really makes this thing more useful at lower volumes. And the drive channels are great just as you described...I dont get why everybody "dogs" the drive channels.

I love my 410 so much that Im thinkin you should have gotten the 410...but then again I havent tried the 212 :lol: Its just that damn good!

I think thats 54 lbs vs 63 lbs?
    I dont have to do that often, but when I do, the trick is momentum and having somebody open doors rapidly. I also find if you heave it up by the handle, throw your knee under it and then grab it by the sides its easier than limping along.

FWIW when I bought mine used 3 months ago and seeing "made in America", yeah, I wanted to know more about it...first thing I did was find Justin's site and then that mine was made in September 96. I would have never guessed it was that old, aside from the handle being busted(since replaced) it looks new-ish, but its age would explain the OEM Fender red labeled tubes and not Grooves that were in it.

kookaburra likes this.
  18. sjhusting

sjhusting Tele-Afflicted

I put on pop-out casters and two extra handles on the sides. That made it a lot easier to lug. It's not just the added weight of the 4x10, it's the cab size too. But I never used to complain about moving a Super, or a Twin, but like so many of us, I don't seem to be as young as I used to be. I hate it how that happens. Right now my slightly overweight tweed deluxe seems too heavy sometimes.

steven

19. Strawfields

Strawfields Tele-Holic

damn, I was going to suggest a nice bunch of flowers and saying how lovely she looked

20. ThermionicScott

That's too old-fashioned. Hot Rod amps prefer bad-boys. :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.