how to connect 2 onange mini amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by markfresh, May 29, 2020.

1. markfresh

markfresh TDPRI Member

Hi,
    I ordered some 1x8 orange speaker cabs.
    They only have 1 speaker input.
    I have a "Hotone Heart Attack" micro amp , which apparently auto selects from 4-16 ohms depending on what i plug into it.

Would i have to use a radial cab-link etc to connect them?
    And if so would anyone know if the Hotone can auto detect 2 cabs not just 1?

Also are there any alternatives to the cab-link .

And apparently the Hotone is the loudest at 4 ohms so i would be running in
    parallel?

Thanks Mark

https://www.deluxeguitars.com.au/products/hotone-heart-attack?variant=15315195822191&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlpapstXY6QIVkx0rCh0T2wAFEAYYASABEgLpDvD_BwE

https://www.turramusic.com.au/orange-ppc108-1x8-cabinet

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  2. markfresh

markfresh TDPRI Member

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Radiocaster, after walking and getting some oxygen to nap my brain cells, it occurs to me that one would want speaker cable in such a Y adapter rather than instrument cable. I always just make up my own rigs like this, so that did not immediately come to mind. And yes.....building a patch box as Mark suggests would be a better alternative in the long run as there would be stress placed upon a Y adapter that the box would avoid.

4. markfresh

markfresh TDPRI Member

Thanks for the reply.
    Making a box seems easy enough, but just a thought , would it be just as easy to add a second jack to the back of each cab and connect them in parallel?
    Would be neater .

5. Wally

Actually, one would need a paralleled jack only in one cab to get this done.

6. markfresh

markfresh TDPRI Member

Yes , my mistake.
    So add a second jack in parallel to 1 cab connect the 2 cabs with a speaker cable and problem solved?

[​IMG]

7. markfresh

markfresh TDPRI Member

Thanks

8. Wally

Apologies....I got confused as to who was the OP, Mark. Yes....daisy chain from that ‘double jack’ cab to the other and you are good t9 go.

9. fuzzmullah

fuzzmullah TDPRI Member

10. markfresh

markfresh TDPRI Member

Great thanks for the help.
    Also i looked at the Palmer merger , looks great and a good price , but it seems they dont have them in Australia

11. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

:D

Actually, if you can find one of the used version of that cab, the older ones have two jacks on the back and the problem would be solved.
    [​IMG]

A second option would be to pair it with a Vox 1x8", those have two jacks and more bass and I bet it would pair quite nicely sonically.

Wally likes this.
  12. markfresh

markfresh TDPRI Member

Hi,

I did look at the vox 1x8 cabs i was going to pair them with a vox mv50 but changed my mind, it would makes things easier, i didnt consider the better sonic option as im an amateur :)
    I have ordered the 2 orange amps though but they havnt been sent yet, i may be able to catch them in time, but still like the mini orange stack look.

And yes i couldn't find the dual output orange ones.
    Apparently orange changed them to 1 jack and also the micro terror from 4-8 ohms or similar as they were causing problems

Could i wire these stereo cliff jacks for mono for this project?

upload_2020-5-30_17-51-58.png

upload_2020-5-30_17-52-20.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  13. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I don't see how wiring those to mono would solve your problem in any way, but maybe you can elaborate upon that.

14. markfresh

markfresh TDPRI Member

The only other 1/4" jacks i could find were not insulated (see below), and i couldn't find the rubber grommet to put on the jacks they had either.
    I thought i may be able to wire the ones above to use instead of the standard jacks and mount them in a box.

[​IMG]

15. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Sure, that non-isolated jack will work fine on a speaker cab.

Just mind polarity when making the solder connections.

Wally likes this.
  16. markfresh

markfresh TDPRI Member

I bought the 6 lug cliff jacks pictured a few replies up the page.
    I was going to wire them into a metal box.
    Just googling to find how to wire them opposed to the 2 lug one., whilst doing so it says they take both stereo and mono and also used in marshall amps
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BPVY900/?tag=tdpri-20 "Solder terminals, switched. Used in modern Marshall amps."(not sure if this is correct),

i imagine they go into a pcb but i just wanted to mount either 1 to the cab or make a whole box unit with 1 input and 2 outputs.

Im a novice at this iive only made a volume pedal and used the 2 lug jacks

17. Wally

You just need to use the tip connection and one ring connection in order to use those stereo jacks for your purpose. If you insert a cable into the jack and use an ohmmeter you can find out which connections to use....or just looking at the connections will tell you which connection is for the tip and which is for the ring.
    Those Switchcraft type metal jacks would be fine...preferable from my point of view because of the connections. There is no need for insulation of the metal jack in this application.

18. markfresh

markfresh TDPRI Member

Hi,
    I just plugged a lead into it , and i can see the tip connects at the end furthest away from where i insert it, and the the other 2 touch both touch the sleeve, do i just the choose any of the sleeve contacts?
    Ifnot i might have to take it around to the old mans as he is better at this stuff than me, i have a multi meter but usually just use it to bell things.

Wally likes this.
  19. Wally

You could tie the ring and sleeve tabs together to insure a connection if you wanted to go to that trouble. One would want to make sure that one wired leads to the correct side of that jack. Inserting the plug disconnects one side from contact with the plug’s tip/ring/sleeve elements.
    I am giving you as much info as possible Since you express inexperience....but I am also trying to have you do some of the investigation on your own and thereby hoping you are learning to fish for a lifetime rather than my simply handing you a fish for the day.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    Tim S likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.