How to Change Gloss Shiny Pickguard to Matte Flat Dull Finish

rcboals

Tele-Meister
Posting this in case it helps one of the three people in the world that want to do this. :) I searched this subject of dulling a shiny pick guard and mostly found advice that using abrasive sand paper, steel wool, was the way to go. Nobody was really pleased but most said they were satisfied with "pretty good and ok" results. For me like the commercial on television indicates no body is really pleased with "pretty good".Here is my experience with going from a gloss black to a matte black finish pickguard. This worked for me I used 1200 grit wet dry it did dull it and made it look "pretty good". It still had annoying scratches, it looked pretty good but up close it wasn't good. I would skip any sanding and go directly to what I did. I used a wadded up paper towel soaked with lacquer thinner and then wrung it out so it is still wet with lacquer but not dripping all over. Wiped it across the the pick guard in one direction and for me it dulled right up and left a very smooth matte black finish.
29 Matte Black Pickguard.jpg

Last edited:

Bang

TDPRI Member
Did I misread, just lacquer thinner? Or thinned lacquer?

rcboals

Tele-Meister
Did I misread, just lacquer thinner? Or thinned lacquer?

Yes, Lacquer Thinner worked great. Guitar turned out perfect for what I was going for. RCB Twangmaster V "The Barn Burner"

Attachments

• 23 Finished Body Front.jpg
    23 Finished Body Front.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 4

scottser

Friend of Leo's
i was going to suggest wet sanding.
i like wet sanding.
i just discovered it recently and now i think everything should be wet sanded.
i used to be a 0000 steel wool man, but now it's 2000 grit all the way.