How to carry everything in one trip?

maxvintage

Poster Extraordinaire
Good gig bag. Small stuff in the pocket of the gig bag. Carry the amp and the mic stand in one hand. Boom, done, and you have one hand free.

If your guitar is too expensive for this, which I think is silly, get a cheaper guitar. There are millions of guitars out there. A significant number of them are cheap and great. Nobody at some lunchtime coffee house is going to think "oh if only that dude had spent more on a guitar with fancy inlay"

If you can't manage the mic stand and the amp in one hand, attach a strap to the mic stand and sling it over your shoulder.

All the problems in your scenario come from the case

dswo

Tele-Holic
The problem with trying to "hold" everything in your hands is that when you encounter a door or "obstacle" where you need a hand, you're stuck. The appropriate-sized dolly is the best way to go. You can simply stop and deal with any problem, and then continue pushing/pulling cart without fumbling to pick everything up again.

Ditch the mike stand and traditional Shure mic. Get a clip on or headset mike instead....Even better than that? Just play your acoustic guitar unplugged, and sing without a mike.

All the problems in your scenario come from the case.

Much to think on here. Thank you.

What's a good clip-on or headset mic?

What's a good soft case? (I know the brand name Mono, but that's it.)

maxvintage

Poster Extraordinaire
Much to think on here. Thank you.

What's a good clip-on or headset mic?

What's a good soft case? (I know the brand name Mono, but that's it.)

I have a couple expensive instruments and I made a kind of unique hollow body tele, and and I bought Glenn Kronhite bags. He kind of invented the gig bag, and his bags are simple, extremely well made, extremely well and closely fitted, they balance perfectly, and have a substantial layer of very dense padding. They're great. Glenn retired but bags are being made from his patterns, in leather or cordura: https://glenncronkhite.com/

They are really expensive though--more than they were when Glenn was making them. I think they were half that price when I bought the ones I bought.

The mono bags seems pretty good: also TKL and Skb both make semi rigid foam cases that I've heard good things about

Daytona.57

Tele-Meister
81r6chh7BWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I use a Radio Flyer, with wooden stakes, to hold my pedalboard, as I sit down to play.

Every pedal is at the right height and I store tool, cables, slides and pedals in the bottom.

Very handy to move around, as I am mobility impaired. When contractors, come into the house, I put the cover on and wheel it out of sight.

I also have an aluminum 2 wheel hand cart, that I bought from a surplus tool store. I use it for moving guitar cabs, garbage, and fire wood, it is very lightweight and efficient.

Edit: update content.

Last edited:

kookaburra

Friend of Leo's
Ditch the mike stand and traditional Shure mic. Get a clip on or headset mike instead.

Even better: Get a tiny portable PA (which is often packaged with a headset mic), and leave the Boss behind too.

Even better than that? Just play your acoustic guitar unplugged, and sing without a mike. 1) It's all you need to get the job done, and makes your life much, much easier. 2) As a person who walks a lot on streets in the city, I will tell you honestly that the only thing worse than a street performer with a guitar is when that street performer with a guitar has amplification – especially for his or her voice. It's horrible. Really. Almost nobody likes it, and many people actively hate it. More volume won't get you more fans; it will just get you more negative attention.

Don't neglect to eat lunch on your lunch break too.

I don't mind street performers, but this is spot on re street performers being amplified.

dswo

Tele-Holic
All the problems in your scenario come from the case

As soon as I read this, it clicked. I've ordered a Taylor "hard bag."

Even better than that? Just play your acoustic guitar unplugged, and sing without a mike. 1) It's all you need to get the job done, and makes your life much, much easier. 2) As a person who walks a lot on streets in the city, I will tell you honestly that the only thing worse than a street performer with a guitar is when that street performer with a guitar has amplification – especially for his or her voice. It's horrible. Really. Almost nobody likes it, and many people actively hate it. More volume won't get you more fans; it will just get you more negative attention.

De gustibus non disputandum, but one of many things I like about Rome is the amplified street performers. I can think of only time I was annoyed, by a dude playing "Wish You Were Here" in the subway, and not getting it right. I don't tip everyone I hear, but I did these guys. There were between 20 and 30 people listening:

Buskers at Piazza Ponte Sesto.jpg

Last edited:

dswo

Tele-Holic
Build a "Busking Buddy", notice how he includes advertising space for his next gig.

I dig that. Unfortunately, my building skills are even poorer than his painting skills. That's ok: watching the second video, it occurred to me that he spends almost as much time packing as I expect to spend playing. That makes sense for what he's doing. Me, I'm just aiming to do three or four songs between class and office hours. My goal is to make the whole thing simple enough that I actually do it. I think a padded gig bag will do that. Next step, if it goes anywhere, might be a Shure headset so I can ditch the mic stand too.

Ron C

Tele-Holic
A good quality double gig bag and a mic stand that folds down small is a terrific combination.

I used the area intended for the 2nd guitar for the mic stand, mic, cables, even a small pedalboard. My amp’s cover has a pocket for a little more stuff, too. So it was the guitar plus stuff on my back, amp in my left hand, right hand free.

I used the Gator Pro Go electric double bag. I think that both Gator and Mono make acoustic + electric double bags.

bettyseldest

Friend of Leo's
Headset mike, guitar and cables in gig bag with shoulder straps. Street cube in one hand. The other hand deals with whatever life throws at you. SM58 is rarely the answer. When it comes to answers, the only givens here on TDPRI are Vox Pathfinder 15, Joyo American Sound, Fender Twin, 10's, and yes buy another guitar.