How to break in a speaker?

Swirling Snow

Tele-Meister
I'm interested in buying a celestion heritage g12 65. I hear they are great but only get really good after they've broken in.

I don't have the ability to play really loudly. Is there any way I can artificially break in a speaker?

Alternatively, does any manufacturer sell a g12 65 clone that is pre broken in?
When it's new, the heritage g12 65 will amaze you.

Then, it will get better.

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
As mentioned earlier, Weber will break-in a speaker if asked. So will Avatar (if asked). I had them break-in the Creamback 75 I bought from them. They normally just break-in their “Hellatone” line.

FWIW, IIRC, Avatar calls it a “partial break-in” because it’s only run overnight rather than several days.

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
I dunno about what to do exactly. I just played mine. It finally "broke in" a couple of weeks ago, I believe. It sounds markedly different than it did just a month ago. It actually sounds a lot better today. It actually sounds like I expected it to sound when I got it. So I'm pretty satisfied with my Stage Right 15w combo from Monoprice. I've always liked it since the first day I got it. But it sounds tons better today.

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
Play it. A good hour at decent volume will get it a good way there. The rest will take years, or as long as your psychoacoustics affect what you hear.
I don't play at high volumes nor do I play full songs. I just play whatever I feel like playing or learning at that moment. Saying that, it took 16 months of daily playing for my Celestion Seventy/80 to finally break-in decently enough to affect how it sounds. I had considered "break-in" when I got it but never worried about it after that. I just played the thing.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's

"Speaker break-in will vary from model to model. It can even vary between two of the same model. The degree to which a speaker has reached break-in is a very subjective topic. Some players like them right out of the box and others want to beat them to within an inch of their lives. Most players hopefully fall somewhere in-between. There really is no "magic" inherent in speaker break-in methods. The speaker will continue to break-in naturally throughout its lifespan, but the most noticeable amount will occur early on. Some of the most widely used techniques for break-in include: Playing music through the speaker at moderate volumes for a few days (some players even have specific songs they use), Using a Variac, Hanging the speaker with the cone facing downward to promote suspension sag, and Physically moving the cone up and down. We often use a noise signal generator at 20Hz with enough current to get the speaker moving smartly for a few hours, but without abusing it. Guitar speakers are generally not accustomed to very low frequencies and it is easy to harm them if you are not careful. The most highly recommended and safest way is several hours of higher volume playing. "

zhyla

Tele-Meister
I used a drum pedal (Digitech Trio) to break in a Cannabis Rex speaker. These are known to take a long time to break in and are very dull sounding until they do. Just plugged the pedal into it and let it sit in the garage all day beating on that speaker. I didn't crank it up super super loud but loud enough you wouldn't want to be in the room with it.

Did the trick in no time.

LightningPhil

Tele-Holic
The souround in celestion speakers is much stiffer than the spider. I've cheated with the break in phase a few times by getting the driver, sitting face up on a mat and running a 30 Hz sine wave through it. Frequency chosen to get it out of audio or at least quiet as its not on a cab. Then leave it humming away for a few days with a big cone excursion. This lowers the resonance a bit.

For a greater effect, very carefully with a dropper, dampen the souround with isopropyl alcohol, then turn it on and leave it running. This will soften the black adhesive that gives the souround its stiffness. Leave it running while it dries. Perhaps repeat a few times. Can have a huge effect on resonance and greatly change the low end response.

Lastly, have also removed the paper souround and replaced it with a foam one with almost no stiffness. Really like this effect. Can play bass and guitar really well with same driver. It will lower the power handling.

dspellman1

Tele-Meister
Check with Avatar Speakers dot com. They've been putting Vintage 30's (and some other Celestions) through a break-in process for 15 hours. They then restickered the speaker as a Hellatone 60. There's also a Hellatone 30, and they may provide break-in services for other speakers as well. https://avatarspeakers.com/shop/speakers/avatarhellatone/hellatone-60/

I have an older Carvin Belair that came stock with Vintage 30's, and you can definitely hear a difference between those and a new Vintage 30. Perhaps more than any other, that speaker benefits from some voice coil exercise.

LightningPhil

Tele-Holic
jeez, I'd just...play through it for a while... 🤨
That would be the sensible option ;)

But sensible sometimes gets ruled out for the fun of experimenting. Head over to diyaudio.com for loads of tinkering with drivers and everything else being taken far too far.

Audio is like cooking, once you've been doing it for long enough, yoi known what you want and how to get it out of what's in front of you. For most around here, that's musical skill, but I'm more in the tinkering with the kit camp. A few musicians use my faffed about with amps, some with modded drivers. They're so far from stock that pretty sure their resale value is zero for anyone after an origional. Worth it though as its fun and more fun is more good.

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
That would be the sensible option ;)

But sensible sometimes gets ruled out for the fun of experimenting. Head over to diyaudio.com for loads of tinkering with drivers and everything else being taken far too far.

Audio is like cooking, once you've been doing it for long enough, yoi known what you want and how to get it out of what's in front of you. For most around here, that's musical skill, but I'm more in the tinkering with the kit camp. A few musicians use my faffed about with amps, some with modded drivers. They're so far from stock that pretty sure their resale value is zero for anyone after an origional. Worth it though as its fun and more fun is more good.
Fair enough! We all choose our rabbit holes to go down; one of the beauties of this hobby/calling/profession is that there are so many to choose from. :)

marshman

Poster Extraordinaire
Well, I unhooked the ipod from the 12" bass cab I mentioned earlier (post #15, this thread) on and plugged in a bass. The test is loaded with variables (different bass, different amp and different location) but it sounds much better now having had music played through it for 8 days alone in the garage.

Hardly conclusive evidence, but I will definitely keep it in mind for the future.

InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Holic
Ted Weber used to recommend running the amp at a moderate volume with a cable plugged into the amp at one end and loose at the other. The hum will loosen everything up pretty quickly. All speakers get better with break-in, and I've noticed a dramatic change even with aftermarket car speakers, headphones, etc. That said, I do subscribe to the idea that if you hate a speaker out of the box, adequate break-in probably isn't going to make you love it.

Renown

Tele-Meister
Just don't use a square wave. I foolishly tried breaking in a cheap set and almost burned them up. I forgot about the power in a square wave being greater than a sine wave. D'oh. Luckily I checked them just when they were getting too warm.

The RMS for SIN wave is square root of two divided by two or 0.707 times peak AC volts for DC equivalent . Square is surely higher. Sawtooth waves are closer to SIN waves but they use a different RMS. Root mean square for equivalent sawtooth Watts DC is not 1.414 divided by two or 0.707

I didn't know speakers needed breaking in. Blast em like you stole em if there new. Use finesse and grace if they be delicate.

To the op , if you can't break them in now then just play them as often as you can at respectable level until you can play them like you stole them

Disclaimer: I've gotten advice from drummers tho so blow out new speakers