How to break in a speaker?

itsGiusto

Tele-Afflicted
I'm interested in buying a celestion heritage g12 65. I hear they are great but only get really good after they've broken in.

I don't have the ability to play really loudly. Is there any way I can artificially break in a speaker?

Alternatively, does any manufacturer sell a g12 65 clone that is pre broken in?

Masmus

Tele-Afflicted
I never worried about breaking in a speaker. When I bought large amps new many years ago there were always people in the house that would not appreciate a cranked amp so I waited until no one was home before I turned it up, so maybe I did unintentionally break them in. I don't remember anyone at that time (40+ years ago) giving any thought to it.

itsGiusto

Tele-Afflicted
I never worried about breaking in a speaker. When I bought large amps new many years ago there were always people in the house that would not appreciate a cranked amp so I waited until no one was home before I turned it up, so maybe I did unintentionally break them in. I don't remember anyone at that time (40+ years ago) giving any thought to it.
Haha, I think most of the people in the 80s were already deaf from the 60s and 70s. No one could probably hear it.

But seriously I do think that our modern culture is less tolerant of loud electronic instruments than it used to be.

Jon Snell

Tele-Afflicted

"How to break in a speaker?"

Do you meant, How to damage a loudspeaker?
They do not need breaking in.
What actually happens is; a state of mind asks, 'Should I have spent all this money on the new Speaker or "cryogenic super duper rippoff valve, (tube in the US)" and your mind gets used to the new sound after a short while.
You are breaking your hearing in. Not the other way around.
That is a phsycological fact. Ask any phsychiatrist.

noname_dragon

Tele-Holic
Breaking in requires getting the suspension moving which relaxes a newly manufactured speaker somewhat. Sometimes,before I install a speaker in an amp, I hook it up (facing up)with alligator clips to a boombox and let it run somewhere isolated (like a closet or the basement). Leave it on all day with bass heavy pop music, noticing some cone movement. It's not very loud to disturb anybody and you don't wear down your guitar amp tubes while you loosen up the speaker. Don't run it hard enough to notice exaggerated cone movement or the magnet getting warm. After a couple days of that, it's ready to install. I think it helps a little, but not like pounding it at an outdoor rock jam.

On the other hand, if you don't much like a brand new speaker right out-of-the-box, you probably won't ever much like it

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I'm interested in buying a celestion heritage g12 65. I hear they are great but only get really good after they've broken in.

I don't have the ability to play really loudly. Is there any way I can artificially break in a speaker?

Weber builds a clone and does a break in. Frankly though, I think you just have to play it. Some speakers sound great right out of the box. My impression of a G12 65 is it does sound good out of the box.
My only real experience with break in being needed is speakers built with a very tight voice coil gap. This is one thing that can make a louder speaker, but due to tolerances it needs some wear in.

Friend of Leo's
fwiw, my opinion is breaking in a speaker is akin to running in a car... No longer needed given modern production techniques.... And, certainly regarding combos I've bought in the last 20 years ... Never passed my mind.... But...
Late 90s had a small/low power 400w (Kustom I think) PA. Basically went into storage c. '99.
'02.... New beginnings... Out of storage, 1st rehearsal went full out... EVERY CONE BLEW!
So, it's probably more to do with storage environment. ie if it's been stored in an unfriendly environment.... Then it might need' gently' reviving, but if it is truly brand new and stored well, then it shouldn't be an issue.
Perhaps? ;)

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
Some speakers sound better after some push and pull from when new. I stuck a speaker out in the garage and hooked it up to a doorbell transformer and left it for a month. Had two that I bought cheap and did not know what they were, ended up being for a Fender 25W Frontman, which is known to be a so-so speaker. There was some difference between the worked in speaker and the 'new' one. As the guys say, just play it.

Wayne Alexander

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Celestion speakers (in particular) benefit a LOT from breakin. Before they'll be comparatively harsh/bright. After they'll be warmer, more pleasing midrange. Even the Celestion website refers to this, here's the breakin procedure they suggest:

In my personal experience, I'd say that most Celestion speakers will be most of the way broken in in about 100 hours of live-gig volume. There's definitely an audible difference between a brand new one and a well-broken in one.

marshman

Poster Extraordinaire
I got a new-to-me 1x12 bass cab recently and the seller said the speaker was pretty new. When I played through it the tone was very mid-dy, no real bass and no sparkle, so it's been it the garage for a few days with some moderate level music through it. I'll report back if it helps in a few days.

Billy3

Tele-Holic

Just don't turn it to 11 on it's first run. You will know when she's ready. Doesn't take to long.

dan40

Friend of Leo's
Avatar sells new speakers and offers a break in service. They normally have the best price in town on Celestions so I would look there first.

I just checked their website and it looks like they don't have the g12-65 right now. You may want to email Dave and see if they can get it for you though.

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
Crank the (rhymes with itch). It is not going to overheat because it is new (more than if it was broken in) and it is not like you will damage it by over excursion. It is too stiff as it is.

Old Verle Miller

Tele-Meister
The only speakers that even remotely need an initial break-in period are sub woofers. Those have significant mechanical travel and shouldn't be blasted with something like kick-drum reproduction until they've been subjected to a few minutes of gradually increasing low-frequency sound level to loosen things up.