How to book corporate and private party gigs

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Rockerfeller, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Rockerfeller

Rockerfeller Tele-Meister

I've been booking my cover band for 18 years. About 13 years ago, we stopped playing bars. There was no money in it and the hours were horrible. We chose to concentrate on weddings, the corporate and private party world and concert in the parks. Those gigs are far more fun, there's more of them and they pay way more money! Enough money too make playing music a great paying part time gig doing what you love. I've turned it into a full time thing.

For the past year or so, I've been thinking about teaching other musicians HOW to book these big $$$ gigs. The recent posts on how much bar bands are getting paid shocked the hell out of me. A live band is worth far more than $300 a night and we shouldn't settle for that!

There's only one reason to put up with crappy paying bar gigs when you want better gigs: Not knowing HOW to do it! If that describes you, I've put together a free mini-course to help you get started. If you want to learn how to book better private party and corporate gigs, check it out here. I hope it helps!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  2. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

I'm sure you are right and can be very helpful , but you are assuming that nobody wants to play the bar gigs . I've played tons of corporate gigs and weddings, yep the $$$ is great, but , my opinion, the fun level was approaching zero.

Two different worlds, totally different musician requirements , totally different LOVE of the music we are performing. Whats great love and fun for one is totally opposite for another.

I can only comment for me, doing this well over 40 years, this is not a part time job for money, its what I do, who I am.

And no, I don't play late night gigs anymore,( 10 - 2 am) I hand them off to someone else. I've been out till 3 AM long enough in my life. Theres plenty of GIGS that are earlier, I know this first hand !

But your offer to assist others is really good. :)

3. Rockerfeller

That's true. I think it's important to differentiate between dive bars and clubs. We play a couple upscale club gigs every year. They pay GREAT and they pack 400+ people into the venue. THAT's a lot of fun AND you get paid well. But the typical dive bar, play till 2am for next to nothing, that ain't fun.

T, if you enjoy playing the bar scene because of the freedom you get musically, you should pursue your local concert in the parks. Those gigs always pay more than bars, better hours, and they're a lot of fun. Do you guys do many shows like that?

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

yep

rand z likes this.
  5. Rockerfeller

I don't know what kind of event style gigs you guys have done. My experience is that sometimes corporate gigs aren't that fun. Maybe 25% of the time. Very very rarely do they suck. All the other type of event gigs have consistently been far more fun that almost any bar gig I've ever played. Although I've played some pretty bitchin bar gigs in my life.

What I've seen playing the high end private party world over the past 15 years is that there is no comparison in the fun level. But we went from playing dive bars to that world.

6. blowtorch

i guess i just don't care for the high dollar party vibe

all the grey poupon and all....:)

Rockerfeller likes this.
  7. Rockerfeller

Now THAT's funny! Where I'm at, we get pretty sick of pulled pork by the end of summer. It seems like we eat it every week at some gig!

I know it's not for everybody. But I've been surprised by all the interest in the course. It's been overwhelming and it has confirmed there's a huge need out there for this. A lot of the brotherhood of guitar players want to get out of the bars and into these private party /corporate world gigs.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  8. blowtorch

word to the wise there, "Rockerfeller", you may wanna get yourself a vendor status.
    because it sure at least seems that you're sellin somethin

9. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

I was about to say the same thing. This "post" is an ad. The OP is here to hawk a product, not start a conversation. I think we need a moderator to step in here.

10. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

It indeed is a promotion for something he is selling. I never accessed the hot link, I just assumed it was a typical conversation.

Kinda like get rich in Real Estate by sending Carlton Sheets $399.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.