How to bind a Fender style headstock?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by torodurham, Oct 22, 2021.

1. torodurham

torodurham Tele-Holic

I'm sure this subject has been covered, but was unable to find any reference...
    I am going to bind a Fender bass style headstock and am ok with everything but the curved section transition from the nut to the headstock. Can anyone who HAS done this share a few tips or tool reccomendations...THANKS!

2. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Friend of Leo's

I don't think I have ever seen a bound, fender style headstock. The only thing I found on a quick search was this

https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=30260.0

I am assuming the whole neck will be bound? If you can cut the channel on the curve correctly, I think you will be able to use a little heat to bend the binding to fit the transition. To cut the channel I think your best bet may be to use one of these from stewmac.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-too...y-job/tools-for-binding/binding-router-guide/

Practice on a cheap or test cut neck first.

3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I have NOT done it but I have bound a lot of different parts of guitars. In my experience it will be very hard to bend plastic binding on the long axis and almost impossible to bend wood. When I do bend binding for sharp curves I make an inside/outside mold and just keep heating and working it into shape. At sharp transitions plan to miter the

I'll be interested in seeing how someone actually does it.

4. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Friend of Leo's

It will be interesting to see. when bending along the long axis, a couple of small relief cuts on the bottom edge, using an exact blade, may facilitate it. Might be a fun experiment.

5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    TN Tele and ale.istotle like this.
  6. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I've bent that little hump on the inside of the horn of a les paul which is no where close to the radius of the Fender head and its a bit of a hassle. I think the important thing will be how to jig it up. And Marty is right, they do sell special extra tall binding for the horn but then you have to plane all the rest of it down.

I've also bound an F style mandolin, tight curves but all on the narrow axis.

7. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Afflicted

This is on my list to attempt soon. I have had good luck bending white binding on the longitudinal access, black or ivory turns white on the outside curve, even with heat. As far as cutting the channel is concerned, I will try different things on the neck to headstock transition curve. Including, chisel, scraper, dremel. I will make a few test pieces.

8. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Afflicted

No idea how you could do the "cove" short of a CNC machine to cut the groove and hand-cutting the contoured binding from sheet stock.

GFS had bound "fender-style" headstocks that were flat with a "Gibson-style" nut and tilted back slightly for string tension.

I suppose you could cut the cove away completely just behind the nut for a flat headstock face right up to the nut.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. torodurham

torodurham Tele-Holic

20211022_105220.jpg Looks like we all have been scratching our brains from time to time on this one. Just one of those quirky little areas.
    Here's the rout channels I did for the 1/4" neck binding and 3/16" hdstk ...showing uncarved cove that needs the binding channel in question.
    I think it's going to be a hand cut channel...

Moodivarius likes this.
  10. Rick53

Rick53 TDPRI Member

You have to probably piece it .
    Go to that warmoth link with pictures and contact that user or what I have done is found people on Youtube who have made a video on binding . Ask them how . Most people that make Videos on DIY love helping someone . Good luck

That link of teh place who did it for him : Is Out of business . Bummer

11. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

There is quite a bit happening, all at the same time, in that transition with the compound curves.

It's very similar to a hand rail on a curved staircase ;)

A nice clean job would be a pretty darn good skills test :)

12. LuckyJinx

LuckyJinx Tele-Meister

Having never actually installed binding, what comes to mind is:
    - Make binding and acetone goop, put a dam around the binding channel, pour in the goop and let it set/offgas?
    - Otherwise, lots of kerfing and repair the cuts with acetone.

13. torodurham

torodurham Tele-Holic

20211022_195325.jpg 20211022_195149.jpg Went after it with mainly an xacto..just couldn't come up with anything else.
    Came out good...now to heat and bend binding. 20211022_195325.jpg

14. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

Homemade tool similar to a purfling cutter: a sharp hand blade with a spacer that maintains the distance of the cut from the edge.

Extra tall strip of binding material, bent in only one direction, not two – trimmed to the proper "scoop" curve based on a handmade manilla folder template taken from the binding channel. Then trim it down to flush after it is glued in and dry.

tomasz likes this.
  15. tomasz

tomasz Tele-Meister

+1. I think for the headstock to neck transition area a gramil could be used to start that cut cleanly, before you default to clean with chisels. It has a flat and a curved side, that you can register with and is a pretty easy tool to build for scoring/cutting clean lines around curves. Here is mine:
    IMG_20211023_073125-01.jpeg

IMG_20211023_073159-01.jpeg

IMG_20211023_073149-01.jpeg

For the tiny curves mentioned, it would be too large for the job. An idea maybe would be to use an undersized template, that is placed on the headstock and can be used to register an exacto blade against. This could deliver a clean first cut, that you may want to continue with a chisel. I didn't do a headstock bind though yet.

EDIT: might it be, that the bound headstock was an angled headstock? That would have a flat reference surface and simplify the job a lot

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    Moodivarius likes this.
  16. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I think you've done a great job of cutting that channel by hand! I'm interested in seeing how you get the binding to bend now. Obviously you will need to heat it but that will require a real sensitive touch because you don't want to warp the flat bottom edge of the binding that sits in the channel. Good luck.

17. torodurham

torodurham Tele-Holic

Thanks..it will come in handy!

boneyguy likes this.
  18. 10orgtr

10orgtr Tele-Meister

If I am not mistaken, always a huge possibility, Buckocaster's "emeraldcaster, son of melloncaster" thread shows him binding Fender headstocks. If it's not in this thread, one of his others show it. He was doing it with B/W checked binding.
    Cheers,
    Woody

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.