1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

how to avoid hitting knobs and switches

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by plymman, Mar 26, 2013.

1. plymman

plymman Tele-Meister

I recently picked up a used MIM strat, put in some Toneriders and I love the sound but coming from a tele I find it hard to play.

The neck is great and the action nice and low but no matter what I do when playing rythym I always seem to be hitting the switch or volume knob. I guess I've just got used to the Tele being so uncluttered. Any tips on how to avoid this?

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

keep practicing!

3. PineBomb

PineBomb Tele-Holic

Yep. Practice a little more restraint, or, alternatively, one pickup wired straight to the output jack. No more switch, no more knobs, no more problems.

4. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You can turn the plate around so that the swich is at the rear, but that won't help with the knobs. Something I saw recently, a Pbass thumbrest mounted just above the control plate. 'Course, this particular guitar also has a bottle opener just behind the bridge, too. Wish I had taken a picture of that one.

5. Nub

Nub Friend of Leo's

You've just gotta move your right hand slightly towards the neck, and get comfortable strumming there.

dsutton- we're talkin' Strat, but you're thinkin' Tele... ;)

6. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Right on both counts. :cool:

Ever see those pictures of Buddy Holly's Strat with the p'up covers worn through (softer material back then) due to being played with the right hand further forward? There's really no way around it if you're going to be strumming much. You'll get used to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. mechtech

mechtech TDPRI Member

The volume knob on a Stat is horribly placed.
    It looks lousy, but you could take the knob off.
    Or, move the vol pot to the middle tone position, and have only one master tone at the bottom.

Pete Townsend would have a problem with the pup selector switch, but you have to be really aggressive to hit it when playing.
    On Teles, I can't get in there to switch the pups - it's too tight to the volume knob.

8. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I know folks that take the remove the knob and take the cover off the switch..
    fyi
    I have problem with m strats

9. tfsails

tfsails Friend of Leo's

Warmoth sells a pickguard on which you can specify the volume control location. I have the same problem sometimes with my Strat; I wish I'd gotten the alternative location. Right now I'm just too lazy to put another pg on it, so I live with it.

Had I known when I modified this Strat, I'd have put the volume control in the alternate position.

Click on the Warmoth button at the top of the TDPRI page and then go exploring. Or, just click on this link: http://www.warmoth.com/Pickguard/StratPickguard.aspx

10. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I have lots of experience of this kind of thing. Try wearing the guitar a little - or maybe more than a little - higher, so that in playing rhythm the pick crosses the strings near the neck pickup, or even closer to, or indeed over, the end of the fingerboard. Lots of enthusiastic strumming may over time cause a bit of wear to the pickup cover, but it should help greatly in avoiding the situations you've described.

11. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Afflicted

Yup, it's just a matter of modifying your picking trajectory. Ashtray bridges on teles used to bother me a lot as well, but after playing teles with ashtrays for years, I feel strange on a tele with a flat plate type bridge like a Gotoh.

And oddly, after getting used to playing teles with ashtray bridges, I seem to have less problems with strat volume knobs and switches as well--the strat vol knob would be in the ashtray bridge area of a tele and I seem to have learned to avoid that area while picking.

In the past, I had considered having a strat pickguard made with only 2 controls, a master vol and master tone, where the two tone knobs are on a strat, but this doesn't seem quite as necessary any more.

George

12. dhuber

dhuber Tele-Meister

I move the volume down one hole. Home Depot sells the hole plugs. I also use a a push pull volume so I can either use the neck and bridge pickup together or series feed the middle pickup with the neck or bridge. I use a TBX tone control. It's adjustable up to 1000K ohm which you need if your feeding all three pickups off of the same tone control.

[​IMG]

13. plymman

plymman Tele-Meister

I think it's just down to me practising more and getting used to the layout. The tele is so uncluttered I think I've developed some bad habits and my strumming hand has got looser and less controlled. Re-learning on a strat will probably do my technique the world of good.

14. Delta63

Delta63 Tele-Holic

This.

15. Chautauqua

Chautauqua Tele-Holic

Give it time and practice... I was doing this when I first got my Strat a month or so ago, but it's gone away for the most part. Still think I might "flip" the pup switch so that down and back" is the neck position and vice-versa. I don;t d it as much, but every so often I will nail the pup switch and end up on the bridge pup (not my favorite place on a Strat). The Volume knob is no longer an issue and having it where it is is just REALLY handy.

Good luck and keep on practicing...

Cheers

Dave

16. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

I've been playing a Strat for more years than I care to think about and I still do this.

The trick I've found is to take the plastic knob off the switch - makes all the difference.

17. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I don't have a problem with the knobs, but the middle pickup always gets in my way. I dropped it where it's almost flush with the pickguard.

I agree with the adjust your technique crowd.

18. TeleDrifter

TeleDrifter Tele-Afflicted

On a couple non vintage strats I've moved the jack to the back of the body & moved the switch to where the jack was. You'll never hit the switch again but no help for the knobs.

19. Thymatronic

Thymatronic TDPRI Member

Totally agree. It's not unusual to have to adapt your technique a bit when picking up a different guitar model.

I had similar "playability" issues years ago moving from a Strat to an ES-335. The shorter scale length of the Gibson and the feel of the bridge under my palm took some getting use to, but enough practice took care of it. :D

20. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Learn to play a Tele with a box bridge. It will reign in any extraneous hand movement.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.