1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How to avoid changing settings on Mooer pedals with your foot?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by nwinkler, Dec 23, 2014.

1. nwinkler

nwinkler TDPRI Member

I've got a Mooer Trelicopter and I think it does a fine job - the tremolo effect ranges from subtle to whacky, perfect for many styles of music.

Here's the problem: It sits on the second row in my pedal board. Due to the pedal's small size, it happens quite often that I accidentally change the setting of the big "Speed" pot/knob with my foot (or shoe), leading to changed settings in the middle of the song.

Is there a way to avoid this? I know it's a lot to ask - I should probably use a bigger pedal :p

Maybe there's an easy fix that I'm not aware of - looking forward to some suggestions. Smaller feet are not an option for me :eek:

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

A strip of gaffer tape over the knobs.

image-3678740227.jpg

3. nwinkler

nwinkler TDPRI Member

The downside is that it won't allow me to easily change the settings between songs.

4. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Yep. But it's not too hard to lift up the tape, tweak a knob, and re-secure it, and with gaffer tape, you can do that a few times. I actually did this trick for a performance where we had six songs. We had a sound check, and then I had to clear my stuff off the stage. I taped the knobs down so things wouldn't get messed up when I moved my pedal board. I didn't have to make any changes over those six songs, but maybe you can develop a similar system that would be easier to release and secure, like velcro?

5. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Attached Files:

6. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

I found something that works really well for this (I have to give credit to Travis from Wampler as he mentioned it in one of the Chasing Tone Podcats)!

Go to Home Depot and get some little neoprene washers. Take off the knobs, put the washers around the base of the pots. Then put the knobs back on and press them down tightly against the washers as you tighten them up. Voila! The knobs still turn freely and look clean but have a good deal of resistance so they won't move if you hit them with your feet. You've got to deliberately twist them to get 'em to move.

7. TheletterJ

TheletterJ Tele-Afflicted

8. nwinkler

nwinkler TDPRI Member

Thanks - this looks great, good idea. I've got a couple of empty beer bottles sitting around - I'll give the washers a try.

9. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Could you possibly add some height to the stomp switch by putting something on top of it and get the knob out of range that way?

10. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Small Rubber bands, the o rings that go on boss pedals by the battery compartment screw.. I dropped my Malekko Delay pedal a while back and it bent the pot that adjust the time just enough to make it stiff enough that it won't accidentally move but free enough that I can still easily adjust it.

11. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

... But don't buy these from guitar people, buy them from beer home-brew people, who charge 8 cents each instead of 43 cents each. Amazon is a good place to start. That's where I bought my bag of 100. Ought to last a couple gigs at least...

12. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

Take the knob off. You could still adjust the shaft, but it will be less likely to be changed inadvertently by your foot.

13. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Don't buy mini pedals.

14. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Uze smaller knobz

15. bricksnbeatles

bricksnbeatles Tele-Afflicted

You could try putting a metal block bar like they have on hotone pedals and some ehx pedals. They probably have them at your local lowes or Home Depot. [​IMG]

16. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Or just go to your local hardware store and get rubber faucet washers....
    Also, use a tie-wrap to secure mini pedals to your board.

17. nwinkler

nwinkler TDPRI Member

Lots of good advice - I'm going to try the rubber/beer washers. I noticed that the Mooer pedal's knob doesn't have a screw - how do I get it off without breaking it?

18. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

^ pull it straight off. Might require some pliers but most likely by hand will do.

19. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Put it in a true bypass looper and put it's switch on front row.
    [​IMG]

20. nwinkler

nwinkler TDPRI Member

Good point. The Mooer was my first mini pedal, and I'm aware of the downsides now. The small size is nice for saving space, but definitely has some usability drawbacks.

I don't see myself buying many of these in the future.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.