1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How to apply Tru-Oil for a bare wood finish on a neck?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by thrashmetl, Apr 21, 2014.

1. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Tele-Holic

I've Tru-Oiled a few necks before and it's always turned out great, but I've never gone for a bare wood type finish. I don't even want to know that the Tru-Oil is there, I just want to seal the wood. I've always just applied 100% Tru-Oil and sanded back with 320 and then some synthetic steel wood.

My guess is that cutting the Tru-Oil with mineral spirits will give me a thin enough coat, but what ratio should the mix be? 50/50? 25% Tru-Oil/75% Mineral Spirits?

2. fretman_2

fretman_2 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere on here's a thread where Colt thinned tru oil and sprayed it on a neck. That might be a starting point for what you want to do.

3. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Also OpenGcapo4 use alot this technique at his builds. Once I ask him the same question and if I remember right he told me he use 50/50 ratio, but also I might don't remember correct, send him pm and let us know.

4. Tom Pettingill

Tom Pettingill Tele-Holic

As per Birchwood Casey, you can thin Tru Oil with mineral spirits up to a 2 part Tru Oil to 1 part mineral spirits. For spraying, I find that a 4 to 1 or less works best in my rig.

In that case, I'd finish sand to 320 - 400, wipe down with naphtha, let dry, then absolutely slather on the Tru Oil letting the wood drink what it wants. Immediately follow up with a bunch of clean rags and vigorously / aggressively wipe / rub all off the surface. Work in manageable sections and if it starts getting too sticky before its all rubbed out, add a bit more fresh Tru Oil to loosen it up.
    If for some reason you need something more aggressive, naphtha or mineral spirits will cut it back before its cured.

5. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Afflicted

Tom - At what PSI are you running your spray rig? Thanks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.