How the heck do I choose speakers?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by GroovePuppy, Jun 15, 2012.

1. GroovePuppy

GroovePuppy TDPRI Member

It's a stupid question I know, it depends what sounds good to the individual, but I have limited experience and need a starting point. I play mostly Teles, mostly single coil but occasional humbuckers. I like full Fender clean tones and when I need it all my drive comes from a TS-9, Big Muff and Jeckyl & Hyde. I currently play through a HR Deville 4x10" which is not bad to my ears, just not great.

I'm planning on building 2x10" open and 1x12" closed cabs to run from an AA165 Bassman. As I said I like fender cleans, but I like fuzz and distortion too. Not looking for modern tones pretty much ever. Punk crunch is good, not numetal crunch. I don't know that I need speaker break up. I think I need something that just does what it's told by the amp and pedals.

I know I probably want the SPLs of the cabs to match. Guessing the 10"s should be around 3dB less than the 12" so the levels are similar with a pair, although the closed cab will probably mess with that. The 1x12" may end up being open back too. So many choices! :confused:

I'm a hack, not much of a guitarist in the first place, playing mostly post/proto-punk stuff. I'll probably end up experimenting as I figure out what I like about my setup but in the meantime where do I start? What's worth trying out maybe in the $50 per speaker range?

All opinions gratefully received. In the meantime, Happy Friday! :D

2. GroovePuppy

GroovePuppy TDPRI Member

Oh yeah, where to buy 'em would be good too. :D

3. onenotetom

onenotetom Tele-Afflicted

The $50 part is going to be your challenge. You need to search the local ads and/or ebay and see what you can find in your price range then research that specific speaker's reviews and see if it matches your requirements. At that price you should be able to re-sell the ones that do not work for you.

4. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

Eminence Legend 10s (model 1058) are a great choice for a 2x10 cab with a Bassman head - this is one of my favorite gig rigs. Great speakers, and very affordable. I got a pair (used) for $75.

An Emi Legend 12 might also work well for you, or a WGS Veteran 30. Maybe not $50, but not expensive. Both Eminence and WGS (aka Warehouse Guitar Speakers) have some affordable offerings.

5. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

For what you describe, a Greenback will fit the bill, both 10-in and 12-in.
    A pair of G10-30 will handle 60W but a single G12M-25 will only cope with 25W, but next-up is the G12T-65...
    Point, the Greenback is The classic rock speaker and does sound good with a Bassman, and does precisely what you were asking.
    Fender cleans? - the amp does that, the Greenback is faithful. It can be a little lush at low volume but gives a good rich sound cranked up. It won't break up as such unless you drive it through the roof. And they just sound better as they get older.

The G10-30 Greenback does work closed back but the G12M-25 seems to prefer open/semi-open back.
    A 10-in is 3-5dB less than a 12-in but two of them adds 3-5dB more so they're about equal.

But you have problems with the $50 per budget. For that you will just get a $50 speaker.
    Me, I'd go with 2x12 cab.

6. GroovePuppy

GroovePuppy TDPRI Member

Thinking about a couple of 16ohm Jensen C10Qs in the top for 8ohms, then maybe an 8ohm Warehouse Guitars 12" Retro 30. That will give 4ohms overall. I'm thinking the Jensens in an open cab for the Fendery sparkle (seems they're long associated with fender amps) and the WGS in a sealed cab for some punch. Also leaning to an open-backed cab for the 12" and a different speaker. Ah how I love wading through the opinions on the web. :D

7. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Weber Sigs are in that $50 range and less otherwise used.

8. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, the 105s rip. Great low buck speaker for guitar! Beats a lotta high buck speakers IMO.

9. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

The Retro30 sounds like it is a Vintage30 wannabe.

Now the Vintage30 is a high volume sound reinforcement speaker intended for 4x12 closed ext cabs, it sounds very harsh at low volume (as 1x12 would be). It is mainly human hearing frequency response to loud sound volume that requires this, a single speaker working hard is simply not loud enough.
    What it is good at, is driving a guitar voice through the mix with clarity on a big stage, for that it needs a lot of top end. For lower volume one needs a speaker with a smoother more faithful response, and better bass response.
    This one reason why a Vintage30 is often mixed with a 55Hz G12H-30 bass speaker in a 2x12 combo. On its own it can loosen fillings.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.