1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How talkative are you?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BigDaddyLH, Nov 7, 2019.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I believe smart lonesome philosophers also conclude we never really know life until death.

Interesting how often philosophers entrusted with defining the human condition live lonesome solitary lives.

Toto'sDad and blowtorch like this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

They are the only ones that can hear themselves think, without a bunch of blahblahblah going on all the time

telemnemonics likes this.
  3. telemnemonics

And yet those of us who chose it even for as long as we could stand it did find some attraction in the source of all that noise!

4. Kaitlyn_D

Kaitlyn_D TDPRI Member

I'm an introvert so talking to people I don't know well is difficult for me.
    I have trouble starting a conversation and keeping that conversation going.

Charlie Bernstein and 8trackmind like this.
  5. telemnemonics

As a kid, and in school youth peer groups I found this challenging since there is so much sort of cruelty as currency, and even friends will back stab for a social step up the ladder.

But in the bigger world, not everybody is going to like us and if they don't we can move on, since we're not trapped in our peer community. College or jobs have these microcosms and the risk of peer abuse, but with time we get used to being a legit human being who will take some crap from some jerks no matter how well we protect ourselves.

To hell with the jerks, get on with life and they will see that they have no power over us if we just walk away from their stupidity!

6. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

'Zackly!

7. Charlie Bernstein

Amen! The only thing worse than hearing people talk about their feelings is hearing people sing about their feelings!

8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Not in every case.

9. Teddyjack

Teddyjack Tele-Afflicted

My Dad's motto is 'why use four words when twenty will do." Even now that he has dementia he still talks a lot, we're just not sure what he's going on about sometimes. My Mother is very reserved. I think I fall somewhere in the middle.

10. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

Only behind the wheel!

11. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Afflicted

i am an introvert but can play extrovert when required.my step father is unbelievable.he can talk to anyone in any situation.thing is,no yammering.he is a great conversationalist.i am envious.

12. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I'm extremely talkative and in fact an excellent conversationalist. I get tired of carrying you quiet people! At the same time, my job, by choice, involves huge amount of solitary time, which I love, so go figure

13. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I've been in several fields where talkativeness is more or less valued. So I just tried to fit in. If you talk too little or too much, people sometimes look askance at that.

The quietest I've ever been is with my wife's artist friends. Whenever a group gathers, they go on and on about people I never knew from 30 years ago. Virtually never any "art" talk, just gossip. I try to jump in with an occasional "yeah, that was a pretty cold winter" or some thing just to keep a hand in, but geez.

Now at home, pain calls the shots. More pain, less talk. Less pain, more talk.

14. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

And according to my wife the Bible says the husband has to make his own coffee .

Hebrews 1:2

:D

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    BigDaddyLH and P Thought like this.
  15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

If they live long lonesome solitary lives, what else have they got to do? After a while you probably start to see visions and everything.

telemnemonics likes this.
  16. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Six pages in two days?

B*tch, please...

17. Toto'sDad

I took my wife shopping this afternoon. We got her a couple of pairs of shoes at the Sketchers store, then we went to Kohl's and bought her some more stuff. A poor woman happened to hear my wife and I talking about golf, she joined in with a golf story, then......

18. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, I've heard that one before, though with reference to the title of the book itself ("He brews," for those who are Biblically challenged), not to a specific verse (I found no reference to caffeine, coffee or brewing in chapter one verse two).

See? Like I said before, "Bi-polar."

My father was a minister. (If you didn't know that factoid about me, that probably explains a lot.) He was a gregarious, loving, people person. So my ability to turn it on, to put on a show, and still be genuine and sincere is part nature, part learned behavior. Mom, OTOH, is painfully shy. She was the youngest of five girls, growing up in an orphanage during the depression. Her quietness is part nature, part emotional scars. I am pretty much an even mix of them both, so, yet again, "bi-polar."

And I relate all too well with the very self aware realization of my importance not being what I thought it would be in my youth.

And I once had a good friend "jump me" about my proclivity toward verbosity. David didn't mean to; he was actually talking about another Dave, a friend of his, a man I've never even met. He was in a meeting with this Dave, and described him with this sentence: "And there he was, being Dave, having a million words for any subject." When I heard that, for some reason, I internalized it, and realized "He could easily say the same thing about me!" It took me years to own up to David how his offhand comment impacted me that day. I wasn't resentful or bitter; I was embarrassed.

P Thought likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Sometimes I'm reminded, by my own stupidity, that I often seem to be Bud Aldrin in the movie First Man, when he's spouting off about a fallen comrade, and says, well I'm just saying what everyone else is thinking. Neil Armstrong quietly says, "maybe you shouldn't." I used to be painfully shy, then I had to because of my work get over it, maybe I got too far over it.

20. Charlie Bernstein

Elvin is one of my heroes. He can do no wrong.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.