How stressful is it for you to buy a new wallet?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Jul 22, 2021 at 12:23 AM.

How stressful is it for you to buy a new wallet?

This poll will close on Jul 29, 2021 at 12:23 AM.
  1. How dare you ask? This is a five year male commitment. Screw you. So stressful.

12 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. It takes me months until the old wallet is falling apart. I can deal with it.

22 vote(s)
    30.6%
  3. It’s like buying underpants........I’m very careful.

14 vote(s)
    19.4%
  4. Kmart or Walmart are fine....not a big whoop..

15 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. If I have lunch money in my front pocket I dont care.

9 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Meister

My wallets have evolved over the years. There's a collection of them on the top shelf in my gun safe. One holds emergency cash, one holds credit cards I don't use often, one holds expired credit cards (why I save 'em I have no idea), and one is a "rodeo wallet" with a built-in checkbook.

Years ago I carried the traditional "baseball" wallet in my back pocket. I call it that because it had so much crap in it (band aids, coupons, receipts, etc.) that it was about the same shape as a baseball - and about as comfortable to sit on all day.

Then I found out back pocket carry made you a target for pickpockets AND was really bad for your back, so the baseball migrated to my front pocket where it stayed for decades.

A couple years ago the wife and I went to Scotland to visit all the places her illustrious ancestors haunt (her bloodlines go back to Robert the Bruce and William Wallis). I decided not to carry the baseball, and ordered a "minimalist" wallet from Amazon - it came two in a package, one black and one dark brown - because I prefer to travel light. Minimalist wallet holds a half dozen cards, a couple IDs, a guitar pick, and a few bills. And it's about a quarter the thickness of the baseball. Makes no telltale bulge in the pocket and weighs practically nothing. Plus it's supposedly RFID shielded.

So once we got back to the good ol' US of A, I continued to use the minimalist wallet, which I use today. The baseballs sit in my safe and archive all the stuff I don't need to cart around on a daily basis. Plus, I have a full-blown medical kit in my truck among other things, so why carry that on my hip?

Wal-Mart has some cheapo minimalists wallets for under $10 if you're interested. Once you go light, you'll never go back.

SonicMustang likes this.
  2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

getbent likes this.
  3. SonicMustang

SonicMustang Tele-Meister

Just replaced my wallet. Carried the same one for 15 years. From 15-30 years old.

don71 likes this.
  4. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

I just go into a store and pick out one that I like .

5. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I don’t carry a wallet anymore. I transport everything in the same manner as Captain Koons got a particular watch out of Vietnam. :eek:

Just kidding…
    Actually, I just need a slim bifold with enough card slots for the stuff I HAVE to carry.

6. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Holic

I bought mine at the Van Gogh Museum gift shop in Amsterdam.

it wasn’t stressful at all. I had no intention of buying a wallet, but they had one for sale, it looked kind of cool, and I bought it.

I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if buying a wallet is a source of stress for you, you are unequipped to deal with the most minor of hardships that will eventually come your way.

7. Greg70

Greg70 Tele-Meister

Great thread! I'm glad I'm not the only one that has trouble changing wallets. I use a leather bifold. My first wallet was a trifold but I found that they get too thick when folded and aren't comfortable in a back pocket. I generally go about 15 years on a wallet. The kids got me a new one for Christmas? Birthday? Father's Day? I forget but anyway they got me a new wallet because my old one was completely falling apart. It took me several months to finally use it. Now that I'm moved into my new wallet I still don't have the heart to throw out my old one.

8. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

My current one is a marvel comics one my mom bought me so.e tears back. My previous leather one was ragged, but had no holes. My wife complained about it, so I switched to the new one.
    I use them until they're pretty near the point where the holes are too big to keep it. I might snag a pulp fiction one, now that @Stanford Guitar reminded me of that. My stepdad bought one off ebay some years back. I'm sure it gets giggles periodically.
    Also, back pocket. A few times in far away cities I move it to the front. I'm skinny and my Jean's are tight. I'll notice if it comes out, but I wont always be able to catch whoever took it.

I dont think too hard on buying a wallet. I haven't had to buy one in awhile. It's like socks, grab whatever looks acceptable and move on in life.
    Much pickier about shoes, boots, jeans, and phones. Those can all really impact your daily comfort, mobility, and general temperament if they're not good.

9. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I don’t stress about it but I am picky about my wallets. I have been caring the same one for seven or eight years and it was pretty tattered. I just went to Oklahoma a couple weeks ago for one of my brothers funerals. My first day there I broke down and bought a new one in target. A couple days later I ended up getting my brothers wallet which was in almost new condition and almost identical to the one I just bought so I went ahead and used his. I lost my target receipt of course so now I’m stuck with an extra wallet so I’m probably good for the rest of my life.

10. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Tele-Meister

I use a ridge wallet. I have two. Used them for several years now. Swap between the two as I feel like. Change is usually carried in my pocket, notes tucked into the elastic of the wallet.

11. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

12. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

great thread. I got a wallet from my then wife weeks before I got married. When I got divorced, strangely, I got a new wallet. The new wallet was what I really wanted. Tiny. Leather (good leather) holds cash, my very few needed cards, DL. Its been with me 10 years and I suspect it will be with me til the end.

I hate the idea of another new wallet. But, I am glad I have this 'new' one and I never liked the other one, but felt compelled to carry it. There are some things that I think you can only get for yourself.

13. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I like a small front pocket wallet.
    One or two card pockets and an exterior money clip apparatus.
    I keep them until they disintegrate then go buy one that is about the same.

getbent likes this.
  14. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

Recently I’ve been putting my money in a ziplock bag. I cannot find a wallet I like. And that’s saying something, as I’m living in the land of accessories.

Pax/
    Dean

15. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

For about 4 or 5 years, I got a new one every Christmas. I still have 4 spares. I made a comment at some point that I only like brown leather tri-folds with the license compartment in the middle, pictures on one flap and credit cards on the other, so I got a bunch.

posttoastie likes this.
  16. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I actually carry around a 'man purse' (tote bag) every where I go- just a lot of gigs, driving, and I guess a lot of stuff!
    My true wallet:
    20210722_102844.jpg

So my black leather wallet is kept in there now, but in great shape- probably 10+years old now and see many more to come

* my 'purse' is actually navy blue- note front zipper pocket- great as a 'file cabinet' for checks, some cash to pay out to band, important papers, Set Lists, letters to mail- this bag rocks!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021 at 10:41 AM
    bgmacaw and Greggorios like this.
  17. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Worn, tattered and bulging. At least 10 years old and with plenty of tread left.

Changing wallets is a deeply personal and spiritual rite of passage. It generally entails the universe reaching out to me in some subtle gesture to indicate "it's time". It may fall apart as I'm trying to extract some meaningless scrap of paper with a phone number belonging to someone named "Dave" (I think he was selling Radon abatement systems?) or I might suddenly spy a new one, on sale, having been strategically placed near the checkout line at some department store by a mysterious figure wearing a store name badge who in some reality is an Illumanati initiate. But...more times than not Mrs. G gives me one for my B'day.

Stress over a wallet? Nah, but that scratch on the lower bout of my dreadnought...Ahhhh!:confused:

upload_2021-7-22_10-7-46.png n

18. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

I've had the same exact style wallet for 60 years... picking a replacement takes about 30 seconds... it's a male thing... conversely, I've watched my wife try to pick one... for hours, and hours...

Personally I think Dante' got it wrong.. he missed the 10th.. Shopping with a woman....

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021 at 10:42 AM
    Greggorios likes this.
  19. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't bought a wallet in decades. I used to get one (leather, same style) as a gift every Christmas or so from my Dad. I think I have 4 or 5 still unopened in a box around here somewhere.

Greggorios likes this.
  20. Despres

Despres Tele-Afflicted

My wallets got smaller and smaller for a while - I have just used one of these for the past 3-4 years. Don't need much more and it is handy for opening boxes and things like that:

[​IMG]

Greggorios likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.