How stressful is it for you to buy a new wallet?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Jul 22, 2021 at 12:23 AM.

How stressful is it for you to buy a new wallet?

This poll will close on Jul 29, 2021 at 12:23 AM.
  1. How dare you ask? This is a five year male commitment. Screw you. So stressful.

12 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. It takes me months until the old wallet is falling apart. I can deal with it.

22 vote(s)
    30.6%
  3. It’s like buying underpants........I’m very careful.

14 vote(s)
    19.4%
  4. Kmart or Walmart are fine....not a big whoop..

15 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. If I have lunch money in my front pocket I dont care.

9 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

Buying new wallets used to bother me because I couldn't believe how fast they wore out. $50 down the drain every few years. The problem was solved twenty something years ago. My wife and I stopped in Mulberry Leather in Paris and I bought what I thought was an astronomically expensive wallet. I still have it, but now it's in my night table drawer. Last pass through Heathrow, I bought a new one at the Mulberry store in the BA terminal. It'll last until I die. We found a Mulberry store in the states in the premium outlets in Palm Springs. I don't need another wallet but my wife bought a handbag. It'll last forever. A man needs a wallet. My wife needs handbags for every occasion.

Greggorios likes this.
  2. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

Stanford Guitar likes this.
  3. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

This is funny. If I was lucky enough to live in Greece, I'd carry a cheap empty wallet in my back pocket with only an obscene note in it at all times. I'd go into the details but this forum frowns heavily on obscenity. I'd be creative and likely use photos.

This is one more reason why cargo shorts are awesome - I carry my wallet in a velcro'd pocket that is tight enough that I fight with my wallet to get it out sometimes. A pickpocket would have to knock me senseless to get it out easily.

4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

For years my wallet was a rubber band. I wrapped it around the cards, and folded the bills twice and tucked that under. Cheap, doesn't take a lot of space in the pocket (no huge 'wallet lump'), and automatically pick-proof.

The only reason I carry a real leather wallet now is because my dad gave it to me. Took me forever to get used to it, and I still only carry it when absolutely necessary.

Nightclub Dwight and Greggorios like this.
  5. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Holic

Don't want to hex it but I have had the same wallet for 25 years. One those biker style leather ones with the two snap buttons and a chain if you want it. My wife gave it to me as a gift. No need for a new one yet.

6. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Mine has got to be 30 years old. It's not even a wallet, it's the card holder that goes in a wallet. License, credit card, health insurance card, bank card.

7. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

cheap ones, fold with a chain.

8. runstendt

runstendt Tele-Meister

It has never been stressful for me, because I’ve never done it. I’ve had the same wallet since I was about 10 (I’m 33 currently.) It’s a cheap, black single fold that is at least half duct tape by now, but I plan to never replace it, if possible. It’s perfectly worn to the shape of my back pocket. I’ve received other wallets as gifts, but I only use them long enough to say that I tried a new one before reverting back to old faithful. Other wallets just feel too unfamiliar and uncomfortable.

LutherBurger likes this.
  9. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yep when pickpocketing and crime started happening in Athens in early 2000s (because of the obvious reasons but this is not the place to discuss them) many locals used to do this exact thing to piss off the Eastern European gyspsy gangs (they are the same all over the EU) that are the usual culprits...

But the fact that we locals are practically forbidden to use cash makes now the tourists the only victims.

drmordo likes this.
  10. Skyhook

Skyhook TDPRI Member

Back pockets are hell-spawn. They're only good for losing stuff from or getting unwanted stuff put into by others. So.. I carry my wallet in my front left pocket. It's really thick(from old crap, not money) but in the front pocket it can be without having to sit lopsided. But to answer OP... yeah it's stressful! There's almost never a good fit for my needs(lots of old crap) which results in my wallets usually falling apart and trailing debris long before they get replaced.

11. Skyhook

Skyhook TDPRI Member

That I am! But I'm alpha enough not to care that deeply about being beta. :)

12. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Last wallet I bought was 20 years ago, it still works fine and looks much younger than its age. I never keep money in it, just license and a couple credit cards. No papers, no business cards, no money. It's never in my pocket unless I'm actually in a store to buy something. Otherwise, it's in my truck or overnighting on the little table by the front door. I'm pretty sure I won't ever need another wallet.

Greggorios likes this.
  13. 41144

41144 Friend of Leo's

A wallet for cash is becoming increasingly redundant with only the smallest/low cost retailers wanting only cash payments.
    I do use one but can't abide big / thick ones....
    Mine now mainly just has debit/credit card, driver licence and membership cards.
    ie a wallet for me now us more about carrying cards than cash and if those cards have a mobile phone option I'll use that in preference.

But, I'm not yet ready, perhaps too old, to trust all my 'cash' payments to a mobile phone "wallet".

Greggorios likes this.
  14. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Yet to find a wallet worthy of replacing my 20 odd something year old Timbuk2. Love this thing!

D1E8F0B8-AC71-4152-AC86-921A544F3311.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021 at 8:06 AM
    basher likes this.
  15. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

It's been many years since I bought one, so I really can't recall if there was any stress involved.

In fact, I have a few brand-new ones still sitting in a cabinet, awaiting their time in service.

My current (standard, utilitarian, brown leather) wallet is a gift from 12 years ago, and it's holding up fine.
    (photo attached)

I have sold five guitars and one bass guitar in the past week, so for once it's fat with cash.

:)

brown wallet.jpg

Rustbucket and Greggorios like this.
  16. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I always bought wallets at Marshall’s. I only went to Marshall’s with my ex. I’ve been divorced for 11 years. That’s how old my wallet is. Think I’ll buy one on Amazon today. Thx John.

Greggorios likes this.
  17. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I just don’t.

The one I had before was my dad’s. And my mother in law got me one like ten years ago I still use.

For Christmas I may ask for one of those fancy thinline ones that can fit in your front pocket and is like the size of a credit card basically. Those do look cool.

But I won’t buy one for myself, haha.

18. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

When my last store-bought wallet wore out I made a semi-minimalist version replacement.

A fold-in-half kind just a little bigger than US bills when laid open with a single card sized pocket on both sides that can stuff a maximum of four cards per side. I used a single thicker layer of leather on all pieces rather than the industry super thin leather with fabric liner approach. I have access to an old 'black iron' sewing machine from the 1950s that can punch through leather projects, so don't break your wife's modern plastic machine trying this, or just stitch by hand like the saddle-makers.

19. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

I always buy the Buxton Tri Fold Leather wallet. Never let me down. I like the credit card orientation of sideways like this. Still keep in back pocket but trying to change to front pocket.
    [​IMG]

Greggorios likes this.
  20. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have one my son bought me ten years ago with the pouches and whatnot. My jeans have faded squares where I put it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.