1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How Soon Before a Gig Do You Change Strings?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Paul in Colorado, Jul 29, 2016.

1. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Me too. Sometimes it feels like they're too slippery when I first put them on. I change them after about 5-6 times playing (rehearsal + gigs), sometimes longer. I rarely break strings (I use 11s) but if I do I always change the full set.

Cheers,
    Doug

2. BungToad

BungToad TDPRI Member

I change mine once a month, and am currently at about 5 - 6 gigs a month (but many practices in between).

Using d'addario's; If I were still using Elixir's it would probably be 3 months til I changed them

3. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I change them a few hours before the gig. I change strings every 10-12 hours of playing anyhow even at home.I hate dead strings especially wound ones.

4. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

I detest the sound of fresh strings, well played in ones work best for me, I usually change them only when I think the guitar needs a fresh setup, fret board cleaning and fret polishing. I can't remember the last time I broke a string playing but if I do I'd change the whole set.

red57strat likes this.
  5. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I'll put them on the day of the show... play it just enough to get them stretched so they are stable.

6. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I like to gig with strings that are at least a week old. I change them when they sound dull, intonate funny or the high E starts making sitar like sounds.

I seldom break strings. If I do, I replace the whole set.

7. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

I've changed them from anywhere to minutes to months before the gig. Telecasters are not temperamental or delicate with regard to string changes. Basically anything is acceptable.

8. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I am kind of similar to Brian Eno & Frank Zappa as I will leave guitar strings on until they break. The duller the better(isn't that what the treble & presence controls are used for?). I don't gig or tour anymore, but I probably change strings more often now than when I was playing on average 10-12 shows/month during the '90s & '00s

9. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

My only string changing guideline is "change them when I feel like they need changing." Time or # of gigs is not part of the equation. I just know when it is time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.