1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How smart is your dog?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BigDaddyLH, Apr 21, 2021.

1. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

one must ask ones self how smart are humans? Harlo has command of 15 hand signals and about 30 verbal commands , I talk to him like I would tlk to a human , at 6 years old he is very smart . I realized I have command of one word in dog Bark , he is communicating with me all the time through visual signals but as a human we're not trained to see it.

Having said that if there is a bear in the yard he chases them away by instinct and is uncontrollable ( I havent had a bear in 5 years ) since we got him

deer , horse, cattle he has no interest

Fendereedo likes this.
  2. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Our dogs are pretty smart, they understand a lot of words, although my wife's not fond of what I teach them. She'll ask them "Who needs to go potty?" All three get excited and, of course, want to go out. I'll say "Who needs to take a leak?" or "Who needs to drain the main vein?" and, yes, they know it means "Who wants to go out?" Just because they can't verbalize and don't have opposable thumbs, they're intelligent creatures in their own right

Fendereedo, dougstrum and getbent like this.
  3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

This is Sadie. She is fast and lean and can jump high enough to see over our 6’ privacy fence and when she was younger she cleared it a few times. The scars are from foxes, raccoons and armadillo. There was a squirrel who used to sit in the tree and bark and hiss at my dogs. Sadie caught it and stood over it and peed. That is a mean but intelligent message that absolutely has no instinctual purpose. She kills things. That is not my preference, especially when the victim is a skunk.
    I can say “Sadie, get your ball and give it to mom”. And she does. And that is a 2 step command. Say what makes you feel good but dogs are smart. Most animals are a lot smart than we want to admit.
    upload_2021-4-21_10-27-11.jpeg

Nubs, bgmacaw, Fendereedo and 4 others like this.
  4. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

We say "it's a good thing she's cute, fluffy and not mean" a lot. Our current dog is always a surprise on where and when she's smart or dumb. We think it's rooted in not having that wanting to please the boss gene our Labrador Retriever had.

If it's about mountain biking, bunny killing, trips to cabin, meat or skunk poop she can amaze people. Just don't ask her to fetch. She knows clothing and gear items for mountain biking. I have to have a kid's gate by my side of the bed to not be woken at 3:30 AM by a dog who's asking to go to trails or dirt jumps or bring me what she thinks is a biking item.

She talks like none of several dogs we've had. In these photos she's asking to hurry up and head to trails, and to either join a work conf call or for me to leave working and get on a bike.

For your original message - she can be really stupid about in or out and weather but very smart about it if someone's making dinner. For example, jump the fence in back and go to front door.

On the whole, all she does is driven by meat, the possibility of hitting the trails, and bunny hunting. The smarts are selective. We got a Portuguese water dog for no shedding but strong and athletic. We're very much convinced she'd have been up for rescue adoption or dead in other families if not one of those dogs who rules the family.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

Not the sharpest pencil in the box, but awfully sweet, knows not to jump up, and comes to sit by me whenever a car goes while walking on the gravel road. What more could you expect~ 16190198118721331824445.jpg

6. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

Kramer, our dog for the last 13 years, died unexpectedly last week. This is something my wife an I will probably never get over and I can't stop thinking about it. He was our son.

He was the smartest dog I've ever encountered. He would do anything you told him and never destroyed a single thing. Never met anyone he didn't like either. I never heard him bark at a human.

I had a red and a blue ball that we would play fetch with. I would throw the red ball to the right side of the yard and the blue ball to the left. I would then say "Right Red" and he would bring the red ball back; likewise for the blue ball. Even when I would change the colors and location he would always get it right.

Fendereedo, Bill and BB like this.
  7. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Dogs can be plenty smart, but there is spectrum, just as there is with all the creatures.

Sometimes they can figure out what you want on the first guess. Sometimes, a little snack training is required. And some are definitely smarter than others - whether or not that is trainable smarts is another issue.

What always gets me is how they seem so capable of unconditional love. Way more advanced than humans on that trait.

Fendereedo likes this.
  8. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Rocket knows that people love him on sight. Other Dogs know they bug him. Maybe they're making fun of him for being a people person.

He spent his first 10 yrs as a backyard dog. Wasn't allowed in the house for any reason. We moved here and we didn't have a fence, so he had to stay inside. He learned his boundaries (can't go in the master bedroom) in just one session. He's never even looked like he might soil the floor indoors (he got sick this past weekend and puked...looked embarrassed). He had never met the cat until we moved. He understood it was "family" almost instantly. Worst thing he has done is stick his nose up the cat's butt. He can't help that...but the cat cusses him when it happens. No fight, just a verbal warning. A 17yr old cat isn't going to do much anyway.

Rocket.jpg

lmjmitchell, Fendereedo and BB like this.
  9. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Our Granddog Coco, a Boston Terrier, is one year old now. This past year has been a blast with her. She is sooo stinking smart it's scary. She is also very stubborn when she wants to be. She makes us all laugh with her antics and she's so darn cute you can't help but love her.

I've had and loved many different breed of dog's in my life time, but never experienced a Bostie. I always thought they were a weird looking little dog. Well, shame on me! These dogs are pure joy and I would have another in a heartbeat.

Fendereedo likes this.
  10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

At a former job, I told a coworker who owned a pug that you had to admit they're pug-ugly. (Harley is 1/2 pug.) She fixed a look on me! I don't think she smiled at me once after that :lol:

Fendereedo and BB like this.
  11. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

My border collie was extremely smart until Feb 2020 when he got bit by a snake (I think) and died.

Fendereedo likes this.
  12. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

My dogs as dumb as a rock .

Fendereedo likes this.
  13. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

He's smart about some things, not so smart about others. He never poops or pees in the house, but he'll eat poop off the ground if I don't stop him.

Fendereedo likes this.
  14. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

They sleep like 15 hours a day. I suspect the rest is "Something different, something different, eat, bathroom, something different".

Fendereedo likes this.
  15. g-Paul

g-Paul Tele-Holic

Mine does the same - she knows the names of certain objects and toys and the names of her people and can deliver the right object to the right person.

She also figured out how to get out of the pool by climbing up the ladder - with no training on my part - so she swims and climbs out at will. The other dogs I've had couldn't figure out how to get out - even after I installed a dog ramp.

Fendereedo likes this.
  16. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Are you sure he’s not a cat?

Fendereedo likes this.
  17. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Jackie Chan is smart for a dog. If he was a person, I’d still hang out with him for entertainment value, cause he’s super fun, and a real nice guy, but I wouldn’t expect much out of him past that. Kinda like some of my other friends.

He’s a good friend to the family above all else, and that can go way further than brains. Middle kid ain’t feeling so good today, so Jackie is on duty. Didn’t need to be told, and she didn’t have to call him. He just knows.

8FB97299-3C7E-4C86-A020-9704E69464A9.jpeg

18. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

serioustrim.jpg

he is wary. I like that about him.

Chiogtr4x, BB, Jakedog and 3 others like this.
  19. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My beagle had a habit of laying on the back of the sofa to watch out the window.
    When I saw this I would tell him to get down and he did. Eventually he came up with a new strategy. I would walk in the door and see him climbing down off the sofa back. He would then run to the dining room and circle through the kitchen so that he could be seen walking out of the kitchen as if to say “No I wasn’t on the sofa” I found it to be very funny and he did avoid a scolding. So I guess he was pretty smart in a dumb sort of way.

Fendereedo likes this.
  20. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

Kind of dumb, but kind of genius. This was his way of telling me that he was ready to go home.

3C322CC8-6CBA-405B-AF76-932499CEABE9.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.