1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How smart is your dog?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BigDaddyLH, Apr 21, 2021.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Harley ... not so much.

It's sunny but cool this morning -- 0C [32F]. After breakfast, Harley goes out in the backyard to do his business. The yard half in sun, half in shade and he lasts about five minutes before he's barking to come back in. He runs to the front door where sun is streaming in. In warmer weather he'd nap on the welcome map because it's in full sun, but the idiot was just outside and he knows it's cold! I have to let him out the front, he stands there a couple seconds. Yup, it's still freezing ... then he turns around and comes back in. If I hadn't let him sniff the air out front he'd whine at the door until I do.

We did this yesterday, too.

SoOOooo... no so smart? Should I expect a dog to know if it's cold in the back it will be cold at the front?

2. farmcaster

farmcaster TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

He's got you feeding him, cleaning up his poo, footing all his medical bills & providing a warm house to live in-not to mention running you around from front door to back...I'd say he's pretty darned smart! ; )

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Well, it's a good thing he's cute. Plus, when I take him for a walk we have great conversations.

4. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

She’s smart enough to know she can get away with anything.

Skydog1010 and Fendereedo like this.
  5. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I vote smart because he has trained 'his master' to do whatever he wants.

our old dog is like a person. he doesn't ask for much, but he insists on a few things.

the puppy... he'll bark to come in, then when the door is open, he just stands there and stares at you. I think he is saying 'hey, come out back and throw the ball' but, I'm in a zoom meeting or reading a tdpri thread....

6. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

Smart at being a dog; yes.
    Willing to do anything you want him to as long as he understands what you want.
    Only had to tell him to get in the truck once. Got it the first time.

7. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Every time I think a dog of mine has done something dumb, I have a reflection later on that makes me realize I wasn't paying enough attention to their "language." Or maybe Harley just thinks front yard and back yard are different worlds with different environments?

8. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Mine can count, but he can't measure. He knows how many possessions he has and knows how many treats he gets but has no awareness if I break the treats into pieces instead of giving whole ones.

9. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Afflicted

He’s quite dumb. Being dead might have an influence.

9960CDAD-39D6-43A4-B3A9-5314CC323D60.jpeg

Fendereedo likes this.
  10. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

Well, he's not our dog now but Ron was Very Smart. A Labrador/ Golden Retriever cross: we puppy walked him from 8 weeks old:
    20200826_152335.jpg

In March 2020 he qualified as a Guide Dog and is now working with his blind owner. We're immensely proud of him and his trainers.
    Ron Graduation Pic.jpg

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  11. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Our Yorkie-Poo is very smart, easily the second smartest dog I've owned. The only one smarter was the border collie I had when I was a kid.

(Obligatory cute photo)

20180705_130337.jpg

12. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

I'm a cat guy by accident, "The" cat does the same. He yells to go out in the garage. I'll open the door and nope, he'll have no part of it in cold temps.

Pets are fickle as humans. NO reason, pure whim.

Fretting out, Fendereedo and effzee like this.
  13. effzee

effzee Tele-Meister

We caught our dog hiding in the cat's covered litterbox. We had been finding litter in weird places around the house and couldn't figure out what the cat was doing. Apparently, the (dumb? Smart?) dog was hiding in there, waiting for the poor cat to come by to use her toilet. The dog would then explode out of the litterbox and chase the poor cat around the house. The point being, presumably, to stop her doing her business in the house (?). No clue.

I had to put a latch on the door of the spare bathroom where the litterbox is, so the door can be left open just enough for the cat to fit through, but too narrow for the dog <facepalm emoji>

14. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

We have an 11 month old Wheaten terrier. We gave her a nickname, goddamdog. We also have a 15 year old papillon who isn’t too bright. Tiberias, the Wheaten has as many toys as a child. She has one, a stuffed sloth that she plays with like a doll. Pillows get eviscerated. The sloth gets held and cuddled. See her with her doll below. She knows her friends and plays with them differently from dogs she doesn’t know. She immediately sits in the center of the back seat of my car to get her seatbelt restraint connected to her harness. She knows his and mine and doesn’t move in on our 873BF825-75AE-470D-B538-7FB033E4459C.jpeg papillon’s dinner until he walks away. She brings toys if she wants my wife or I to play with them with her. She sits by the door when she wants a walk. Her “brother” does none of this.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  15. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

"The Genius Of Dogs" is a great book. Highly recommend it.

16. effzee

effzee Tele-Meister

I just played a round of Kitty Kat Carousel yesterday evening. She gets us to open the front door for her, then basically walks around the house to the back door to be let back inside. She then goofs off long enough for me to get comfortable on the sofa, and starts yammering to be let out again. Round and round we go ...

Also refuses to go out the back door. It was wide open yesterday afternoon, but she came and got me to open the front door for her.

17. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Back in February we had an unusual amount of snow and ice for Austin and lost a lot of branches. I cut a stick for my dog Silas. He is not a “chewer” so he does not destroy things. It’s mid April. Most nights when he comes inside I throw that stick into the darkness. In the morning I say “go get your stick”. He starts ‘top left’ and methodically paces the yard until he finds it and drops it at the door to tell me it’s time to play catch. After a few tosses I say “time to get (son’s name) and he sprints to my kid’s room and wakes him by bouncing and slobbering.
    upload_2021-4-21_10-17-38.jpeg

18. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

We have multiple dogs and it seems like they display the full spectrum of all possible intelligence levels.

One of them, a young female Spinone Italiano, does this spooky Blair Witch Project thing where she stares intently into a corner. It’s pretty creepy, until you realize she’s wagging her tail stub and seemingly enjoying it.

Special imaginary friend? Mice in the walls? Trans-dimensional gateway existing outside the spectrum of visible-to-humans light?

Fretting out and Fendereedo like this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My son likes Alex, and installed him a nice doggie door to the back yard so Alex goes in and out as he sees fit. He does not do his heavy duty business though until we take him on a walk, and yes we clean up after him. He's a quick learner. When we got him, he would take off if you let him out front. He wouldn't go far, but I'd have to go get him. I worked with him for just a short while, broke him of running off, and now he can be trusted off the leash. I let him loose the last hundred feet of our walk every day, he enjoys that. He can now be trusted to greet people and see them off now and just come on back in the house when it's over.

We keep his leash and harness in the hall closet. When I open the closet, he comes running over and looks in at his harness and leash. I used to kneel down and put the stuff on him, then I thought why not have him get up on the piano bench? Okay, get on up there Alex, he did and now when I get the leash, and harness out, he jumps up on the piano bench. What's cool is, when we come home after his walk, he comes in the door, hops up on the piano bench and waits for me to take his harness off.

Alex was pretty aloof when he came to live with us, but he's adjusted to having old people for his family now. Every morning we have "pet the dog." He knows what "pet the dog" is too. Momma will say lets pet the dog, and he'll run and jump on the couch in my office. We feed him some treats, throw a toy for him to chase, and the world is right.

I won't ever forget Toto, and did not intend to have another dog after he passed away, but Alex has helped fill a hole in my heart that was awfully empty. Like the woman who gave him to us said, Alex is a good trained dog, and that he is.

20. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

Dogs eat stupid things and have stomach issues. My other dogs would have their dump on the carpet which you’d find the next morning. My buddy Frankie has had a few issues in the 3 years I’ve had him but he always lets me know and does it outside. He has a special whine and I know exactly what it means. “LET ME OUT NOW!” Pretty smart! 1DE29C71-2571-433A-A172-D0D2D65CC2A2.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.