How safe is reverb.com

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by golfnut, Jul 23, 2019.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I am thinking about buying an expensive item from Reverb.com. I've never bought anything from there before. Just wondering how safe it is to deal from there. Is it safe to trust anyone selling there or do you still have to be wary?
    Are there any extra fees I need to know about like ebay?

2. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

Just bought by Etsy, so.........

3. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

I’ve done quite a bit of biz on Reverb. The most fee stacking I’ve seen went to the sellers, with lots of things “deducted” from the sell price.

Sellers don’t actually get their money until the item has ac actual shipping number. Usually works well but some larger retailers get your tracking number as made available thru Reverb, but don’t actually send for a couple days.

4. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

I've done some deals on Reverb. I think they have their act together.

djh22 and FenderGuy53 like this.
  5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

There are no fees for buying, only selling. Read the seller's 'shop' policy first, be sure of the return terms, re-stock fees, return shipping costs, etc. The same thing with ebay applies: is the seller experienced and well-ranked? Is the description above and beyond, or is it shoddy? Good pics or fuzzy ancient cell phone pics?

Some sellers are actual shops, and in those cases I will call them to get feel for the business. I once bought a guitar this way, because the shop was too busy:rolleyes: to put real photos on the Reverb listing, just stock ones (bad idea shop, wtf). They had two in stock, emailed me real photos and I was able to buy the lighter one with a darker, more even fretboard.

rich815, djh22 and FenderGuy53 like this.
  6. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've bought a number of guitars from Reverb, a couple of pretty expensive ones. Never had a problem.

- D

djh22 and FenderGuy53 like this.
  7. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

They were bought for $275m. Not bad for a startup by a music shop owner, less than ten years old.

Flakey likes this.
  8. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

depends on your level of paranoia.. define safe?
    read the terms of the service agreement, look at the sellers history.
    use common sense its not magic, its just an online market place like dozens of others.

have you ever bought online before? you seem like a newbie...

9. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Safer than ebay. I haven't seen many direct scams of the types that are common on ebay.

By the way, you've already been ripped off on ebay because buyers don't pay extra fees on ebay, but some sellers extract them illegally from buyers.

Unless you are talking about international customs fees, in which case your comment defies logic as it has nothing to do with ebay in particular.

10. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I'm in Canada and its an item in Canada so there won't be any customs fees.

radiocaster likes this.
  11. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

just saw this

12. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Do your due diligence and you'll be fine.

As a Buyer, always check the Seller's feedback ratings: Is he a preferred seller? Does he respond quickly to messages? Does he ship quickly?
    Also, check the reviews he received from prior sales.

As was mentioned, check the Seller's shop policies: Does he allow returns? If so, how many days after delivery? Are shipping costs refundable? Are restocking fees imposed?

Check the images in the Seller's ad. Are they stock photos or actual photos?

No hidden fees. Reverb has a very simple, straight forward approach to fees, and they're readily available on the website.

In the unlikely event that there IS a dispute, you can request that Reverb intervene. They will; they are fair; their decisions are final.

I consider myself to be a very fair and honest person. I always try to things out with the other party; that said, I have asked Reverb to intervene one time, over the years. They ruled in my favor.

Reverb has a huge following, which makes it is a great venue for buying and selling gear, especially used gear.

Good luck!

rich815 and StrangerNY like this.
  13. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Meister

Never had a problem.

14. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Restraining myself from posting a picture of Laurence Olivier giving Dustin Hoffman a dental exam...

I have bought and sold a bunch of stuff on Reverb, and haven't had a problem yet.

Blrfl likes this.
  15. Jonzilla

Jonzilla Tele-Meister

In my experience (as a seller for the last 3 or 4 years), you as a buyer have nothing to worry about in the case of receiving the item not as described, or damaged. Worst case scenario is if this happens and the seller isn't cooperative then you will file a claim and you will definitely get a refund within a few days. Also pay attention to the sellers return policy. Many sellers allow returns within a certain number of days (you may have to pay return shipping). But many sellers list the item "sold as is." This still means nothing if you receive the wrong item or something was misrepresented. You can still file a claim and basically force a refund.

16. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Think of each seller as a shop in real life.

Would you buy an expensive instrument in a dark alleyway in the sketchy part of town?

In the same way - You would be nuts to buy from a seller with no feedback, hastily written descriptions and blurry photos.

Alter and telemnemonics like this.
  17. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

Bought 6 things on there, sold 1.
    Returned 1 thing ever, and it was to a Samash in NY. USPS dropped a guitar i bought, but no other shipping problems. Also, the guitar I sold ($600 or so) was at a low offer, and I the guy probably didn't think I'd accept. It took him a few extra days to pay, but he was upfront and we communicated, but Reverb was badgering him after a few days, so they seem to be on the level.
    I haven't had any big disputes with them, as I woulda only been put $5 shipping if Samash hadn't tested the pedal and pretended it was fine. Make sure you're comfortable with the return policy for the seller and that the item doesn't have its own restrictions. Also make sure theyve sold a decent amount of stuff. If they try taking the money and running, reverb will stop it, but if they sell a not as described item (like the tremelo channel doesn't work on an amp or something) it might take longer to resolve, tying up the money for a bit.

You get deals, people who need X more than Y make that happen, but it seems safe. No idea what impact etsy will have, but reverbs app is more intuitive, hopefully that remains true.

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Reverb allows ebay sellers to sell on reverb, so reverb is the same sellers as ebay, if that helps.
    Sellers who prefer reverb seem to do so because reverb is more likely to side with the seller in a dispute when a deal goes bad.
    This may or may not hurt the buyer in an iffy situation, like "not as described" WRT condition or quality, which are subjective.
    I find prices are better at auction on ebay but I doubt guitar owners selling their gear are really any different.
    Jerks and decent people are everywhere.

19. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

I quit selling on ebay and Reverb. Too many test-drivers. People get around the "no returns" policy by saying an item wasn't as described, and you're forced to refund and eat the return shipping. It cost me way too much money.

For a buyer though, it's three thumbs up.

20. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

I bought my Gretsch 6120 DSW Black FSR in 2014 on Reverb and it was a smooth transaction. I have since bought and sold lots of items on Reverb and haven't had any major issues.

Whether the sale to Etsy changes things in the future, I don't know but I doubt they'll mess up a good thing in the near term (but then you never know...). If things do change, then so will I.

6120dsw-couch-b.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.