1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How Quiet Is Your Tele?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by scottser, Feb 6, 2020.

1. sugarinthegourd

sugarinthegourd Tele-Meister

OP, do you have a 4-way switch? The way they’re wired, both pickups are always connected to the hot output. So even when one of them isn’t making music (as the switch removes its ground connection) the unused pickup coil is acting as a mile-long antenna which contributes significantly to noise/hum in my experience. One of the reasons I don’t like them. 3-way switches don’t have this problem.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    scottser and Dismalhead like this.
  2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Gotta wear those tin foil hats. I use 'em to stop the voices in my head, but I bet it'll stop your noise too.

[​IMG]

scottser likes this.
  3. SithTracy

SithTracy TDPRI Member

Shield all cavities and wire routes (I used pipe cleaners with the shielding paint to snake it into those wireways) with 3 to 4 coats of shielding paint. Copper tape and ground the pick-guard to the control cavity and ground the bridge. Twist/braid your pickup wires going into the control cavity. My Tele with 4-way switch is quiet as a mouse until I play a chord that sounds like crap!

I ended up shielding my MiM Player Strat the same way and it made a huge difference (as well as the twisting/braiding of the pick-up wires). I also practice in my office where I have a Ubiquiti UniFi WiFi Access point on the wall and other cellular and bluetooth waves. Before I did that, I was getting lots of hum in my strat even with quality cables. Was thinking about grabbing a Noise Gate, but not going to bother now.

There is so much radio interference today with all these bluetooth/WiFi devices, and various lighting solutions, it makes it more challenging.

scottser likes this.
  4. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

hey there, no mine is a standard three-way switch.

sugarinthegourd likes this.
  5. milopera

milopera TDPRI Member

Kinmans, sound great and dead quiet!

6. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Here is an old thread detailing a "safety circuit", that, when installed in my guitars, makes them dead quiet without changing their sound.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/safety-circuit-tone-aand-more-or-less.249637/

The original web page with the diagrams no longer exists, and I can't even find them in the wayback machine, but I have paper copies at home. I will get them here and share them.

This may help, if you're willing to try it.

7. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Update: here is a pdf of the web page:

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.