1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How powerful can single ended amps be?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jakedog, Apr 23, 2021.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

What I've read about the idea of bigger SE amps is that while you can go to KT88 or the massive KT90 but the returns diminish, in that before the amp can keep up with a loud drummer it weighs more than a 100w Marshall and costs similarly high(er) per watt.

The good news is that you can buy a second same Supro amp easily!

There are some single ended multi power tube amps too, like I forget which Laney I think the lionheart 20, where they are true class A not the fake class A that's only really cathode biased.
    Again, expensive and heavy for the wattage.

2. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

How bout putting a SM57 in front of it and running it to the PA?

voskarp, PhredE, mcfm2n and 1 other person like this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

If the goal is for the entire audience to be able to hear the guitar, it's possible that more dbs in one location isn't as good as almost the same dbs in two locations.

Filling a room so all can hear by having one amp putting out twice the spl is a lousy solution, but then that's R&R too!

Jakedog likes this.
  4. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

[Deleted due to misleading information on the Supro website]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  5. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

[deleted]

6. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

I'm shocked JD! Shocked I tell ya! Are you feeling ok? LOL!!!:lol::D

Jakedog and VonBonfire like this.
  7. VonBonfire

VonBonfire Tele-Meister

A bigger version, even otherwise identical, would put out volume enough to change the perceived tone as your ears compress the sound as volumes rise. Best bet is mic the amp or buy some sort of re-amping equipment.

Pure heresy. Post reported.

Kidding of course!

BobbyZ and Telekarster like this.
  8. markal

markal Tele-Afflicted

I have Laney Lionheart 5watt, single ended Class A with one EL84. It’s a great amp. So I wonder if you should consider the Laney Lionheart 20w mentioned by @telemnemonics above? I think it’s 2x12 and will weigh a ton (the 5 watt combo is 42 pounds!). Maybe the 20-watt head?

Also, I think the Mesa Cali Tweed goes parallel single ended in one of its lower wattage modes. Might check that out.

Edit - never mind...the Mesa switches between pentode and triode. I don’t even know what that means.

telemnemonics and Jakedog like this.
  9. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

What about using the line out to a power amp and cabinet? It will change the character somewhat, but so would the other solutions offered.

PhredE, The Angle and Jakedog like this.
  10. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

Powerful SE output transformers are very heavy. I have decided to build about 30W SE guitar amp and bought VDV-1324-SEE which is toroid OPT designed for HiFi up to 25W SE so it should easily produce 30W to guitar low notes. It weights reasonable 1750g (3.9lbs). I use KT150 and set impedance to 2,5k ohms. For PT I use TSTA 0120/001 toroid which outputs 330VAC/0,25A and weights 1370g (3.0lbs).

11. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I checked out that Dr Z-plus just now. Looks pretty great. But if you're gonna spend two grand on an amp I suppose all the options would be pretty sweet.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  12. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

It’s not always an option. In the bigger rooms I play it’s a no brainer. Same with festivals and big outdoor events. There’s a house PA and an FOH guy to mix. At the majority of small bar/pub/house party gigs we do the PA is a pair of EON610’s on sticks for vocals only. Amps have to carry the room.

Newbcaster, goonie and BB like this.
  13. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Nobody is more surprised than I am. I’ve used a lot of different amps (I still have and use my 120 watt SS DV Mark beast), and they all have their place. But Marshalls have always been my favorite. I’ve always said if I could only own one amp it would probably have to be a Marshall. But now I don’t know. This little amp has just crammed itself into my heart.

BB, Esquire Jones and Telekarster like this.
  14. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

Most powerful SE OPT I know is 90W HiFi rated toroid VDV-HQ-5090-SES (mennovanderveen.nl) so for guitar amp it should produce over 100W but it require very high operative voltage around 1000V because of its high impedance.

TTG-KT88PSE (toroidy.pl) is 50W HiFi rated toroid OPT which should be good for 60W guitar amp using two KT120. I have not finished mine because I made a mistake designing it fixed bias and it would became unstable and wait inspiration to get finished cathode biased.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    Mouth and Jakedog like this.
  15. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Yep, I hear ya! I read your other post too regarding your situation in clubs etc. I found this old TDPRI thread, thought maybe there's some info in it that might help? Good luck man! Hope you can find a solution!

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/increasing-tube-amp-power-output.317782/

Jakedog likes this.
  16. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

There are some big tubes out there.

I'm drawing a blank on its number at the moment, but there's a big beam tetrode with a bayonet base, looks like a 211 triode but with a plate cap. Almost a foot long. You could probably get 125W out of one single-ended. As long as you're not afraid of power supplies in the KV range...

17. bebopbrain

bebopbrain TDPRI Member

Bigger cab. 15W with a full stack is louder than 100W through a 1x12. Doubling the cab is exactly equivalent to doubling the amp.

18. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Nope, that's not how it works.

tubeToaster, tubedude and PhredE like this.
  19. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

The THD Bivalve is (I think) considered a parallel single ended 30 watt amplifier, and can be run with or without the attenuator. I may be using the wrong terminology. I dig single ended amps too.

Jakedog and black_doug like this.
  20. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

Have you tried running the line out into your Marshall? I know that is not exactly what you are after but it might sound cool.

zeke54 and Jakedog like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.