How old were you when...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chick-N-Picker, May 19, 2018.

1. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Holic

I'm 42. And I'm grey.

2. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Had a short-lived goatee in 9th grade. Mustache at 20, beard at 23-30. Without it, I looked 10 years younger, but a little jowly (read an interview with a bartender who says the guys start to go a little jowly around 30). I have colleagues who have kept their beard for 40 years. I imagine they are a little afraid of how jowly they will look without it.

Sideburns in the late 60s often tended to be longer, down to the jawline. It worked with long hair, but disproportionate with short hair (especially hair trimmed so it doesn't touch the ears.)

I've been growing beards through not shaving. Duh. My hands and arms have now been affected by my illness, and sometimes I am really stingy with using my hands. If my hands are going to hurt, I would rather play guitar than shave. After a week, it starts looking bad. I have been disheartened to know that it appears to be very light, practically white. Don't care to sport white facial hair at all.

OP, don't give it a thought. You might be descendent from warriors. At least that's how I think about guys that don't have a lot of facial hair potential.

3. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I went to a private school. All male, tie, blazer ( jacket), full uniform, even the shirt had to be the correct colour light blue.
    We were not allowed to grow long hair and had to shave. Most of us started shaving at age 14 and had a full beard growth by the age of 18. Then the army, the same. That was late 60s early 70s.
    Had to have a beard in my early 20s as I had a skin rash, it was summer here and HOT, hate beards and still don't like them to this day. I guess I've been brainwashed. Retired now and still shave daily.
    BTW a certain ginger haired young man got married on Saturday in Dress Uniform with a beard- not cricket.

4. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Started shaving at 12, mustache at 14 full beard at 15 and sneaking into bars at 16 (legal drinking age was 18 at the time). Only time I was stopped at the door by a bouncer was to pay a cover one night. :lol:

5. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

First day of eighth grade, the teacher is taking attendance and assigning seats (alphabetically, I'm a C so there's only 1 person ahead of me). Calls me up in front of the class, turns me to face everyone, wipes his fingers across my upper lip, sideburns and chin saying "This, this and this is not allowed."

Never been so embarrassed in my life (at that point, more embarrassing things would happen later).

So 13, shaving almost every day.

Later when I was in high school wrestling I'd keep a rechargeable electric Norelco in my gym bag. My opponents would complain about my rough chin, the referee would call an injury timeout and tell me to shave. 2 minutes and if you're not ready to compete its a forfeit.

I'd go to the bench, pull out the razor and shave. Come back and my opponent would complain again. I'd say "I just shaved. You saw me."

Referee sometimes wouldn't even check my face, just tell us to get back to it.

Also back then, I'd get these long (2-3 inches) dark chest hairs randomly popping up on an otherwise hairless chest. They didn't look right so I'd pull them out.

Now I have a full beard that starts at my big toe. And the older I get the more the hair on my head starts sliding down my back.

6. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Oh, I know that one. I've gone from salt & pepper to Gandalf the Gray to Gandalf the White. That doesn't mean I do something as drastic as cut it off. As the saying goes, "I don't care if it turns silver...just so long as it don't turn loose." ;)

Nowadays, whenever I sing Fred Rose's song "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain," after I sing the line "Now my hair has turned to silver..." I pause, remove my hat to clearly show my silvery mane, and blurt out, "Tell me about it!" :twisted:

7. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

I was about 14/15 (mid-70s) when I started getting enough hair on my face to warrant starting to shave. At that point, I just started to get hairier and hairier. By my early 20s (1981 onwards) I had a full beard and moustache - got bored with it and shaved it off. Repeat, ad nauseam, for the next 35 years. Only thing that's changed is that I've gone completely grey, so a beard tends not to be so obvious until I've had it a few weeks.

8. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

I had a big beard by the time I was 17. When I was 18 i shaved it off and kept big mutton chops. Now I'm 33 and I keep fairly prominent sideburns.

9. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

At least you don't have to trim much.

10. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I started getting some grey hair at 18. It runs in the family, my dad went total silver-grey at 35. I'm 53 now and have just a little dark brown.

11. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I always loved the look of lamb chops, so a couple of years ago I let them grow!

You can't tell from this pic, but I also have a pony tail that just about reaches my waist. I've had it that long for about 15 or more years. I had long shaggy hair in my teens, then got a respectable job and went short. But now that I've been in my job for over 30 years, they can either accept it, get over it, or watch me retire early!

FWIW, I've never shaved my mustache, ever. Of course when I was a young teen it just looked like I had dirt on my lip. I've grown a beard a couple of times, but never cared for it.

Cheers.
    Doug

Doug_deWerd_square.jpg

william tele likes this.
  12. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Started shaving at 15, added a mustache at 17 and barring Boot Camp, it's never been shaved off. Added the beard in 1985 and it's never been gone since then either. I keep it trimmed short and around the chin, because its that thick, wiry stuff that damages turtlenecks and collars over time. If I let it grow out, it's about a week-and-a-half before I start getting "... is that you, Santa?!?" comments. My hair went white when I was in my 40's, starting turning in my early 20's. Starting disappearing in my early 50's, making me re-evaluate my earlier complaints about having white hair.

13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Every time I read this thread title I think it's gonna be along the lines of Alan Jackson's "Remember When."

14. Rythameen

Rythameen Tele-Meister

Grew a mustache when I got married 35 years ago....wife wanted our portraits taken and when I saw the proofs I realized I was a dead ringer for a blonde Ritchie Cunningham so I shaved it off. I have had a "soul patch" for the last 10 years.

15. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

Despite my Native-American ancestry, I was
    shaving every day at 18. In the Army I shaved twice a day.

But I’ve never tried to grow a beard or mustache. In Ranger School, our RI told us “Y’all are gonna shave every day, 365 days a year!” He added “If I ever catch you with hair on your face, I’ll shave it off with the bottoms of my boots!”

To this day, I shave every morning.

16. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

About 25 or 30 years old, nothing really grew before then....

Now I wish it would stop... ;)

17. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

~40 and I can't grow chops. Then again, I've got no bald spot, no widow's peaks, and no gray that can be seen from 3' away so you take the good with the bad. Anything I do try for takes a month and is seriously mousey lookin'.

18. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Holic

I love playing that song. :cool:

Toto'sDad likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Me too.

20. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sideburns? What century do you think I'm from?

Here's me with a beard, in the peak of my hiking years... I was a slow starter, and today, I use clippers with no guard on my head, and clean shave my face, once a month. In that time it only grows a half inch.

moosie firetower 4.jpg

william tele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.