How old were you when you learned to tie your shoes?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Aug 17, 2016.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Me: It was required before my parents could drop me off at kindergarten, 1978.

Today's Story!
    The wife and I planned to visit our nephews the other day (wife's brother, sister-in-law, and their two sons). They are in 1st grade and 4th grade. As the aunt/uncle that don't care what others think, we always stop to get the boys something on the way over to their house. I usually pick something useless and stupid (Silly Putty?) and the boys love me for it. However, the wife wanted to get something more practical this time. So we stopped by a shoe store and got a pair of black Converse All-Stars for each of them. I thought it was cool anyway. But when we gave them the shoes we discovered that NEITHER ONE OF THEM KNOW HOW TO TIE SHOES. What tha... ?

Nope - I have never noticed that they both always wear boots (even to school), or when they have to wear shoes, they have velcro shoes.

Their parents report that it's no big deal - no one places any emphasis on it. Hmmm...

Tazz3 likes this.
  2. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Hope you taught them so they can enjoy the sneakers (before the laces are outlawed at school).

brianswindall likes this.
  3. troy2003

troy2003 Friend of Leo's

5. In Kindergarten. 1974. They used a shaming technique. Everyone's picture on a pin up board and covered with a piece of paper. As that kid learned to tie their shoes their picture was uncovered. NOONE wanted to be in the last few. In today's society that wouldn't fly, same as no one getting picked last for dodgeball

fendertx and soulman969 like this.
  4. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

What are shoes?

Steve

5. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Must have been pretty young, as I don't remember ever not knowing how.

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

"The rabbit runs around the tree..."

Rich724 likes this.
  7. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

4 years old, a long time ago.

My daughter, starting 2nd grade, has asked to learn. We are complying.

8. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

The real question is when did you learn how to button the pockets on your cargo shorts?

Honest Charley and Flakey like this.
  9. BigDaddyLH

Ask the fourth grader if he is learning cursive script. Probably not.

fendertx likes this.
  10. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

when I started school I went bare feet.... I can't remember the year I started wearing some kind of shoes to school...

Bata scouts with the animal tracks on the sole and a compass in the heel were my first lace ups...

I spend a few days a week volunteering at a school.... the number of kids running around with shoelaces untied it surprising.. younger and older ones...

I often tie some younger kids shoes laces up.... they don't seem too concerned having laces undone...

11. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Probably when I went to kindergarten or maybe 8th grade, not sure. Likely Keds were involved. I know that the secret to keeping them tied is a triple rather than a double base before you do the fancy bow on top. I only leaned that one a few years back.

xafinity likes this.
  12. BigDaddyLH

I remember the shock of being shown my kindergarten report card. I had no idea I was being marked on how well I was hanging up my coat. Unsatisfactory! :oops: I still live with the shame. The shame!

bingy, teletimetx, Kingpin and 2 others like this.
  13. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

I didn't learn to do it right until about 5 years ago. I (like most people I think) was taught to wrap the lace around clockwise because that is apparently easier for a kid to learn to do, however the other configuration of the knot (wrapping counter clockwise) is more stable and actually preferable. I learned this on NPR or youtube or somewhere a few years ago and doing it the new way actually leads to my laces coming untied much less frequently. I might be getting clockwise vs counterclockwise mixed up, it is hard to remember which is right when you start trying to, but you can tell if you did it right by the way the bow wants to lay across your shoe, if it lays across the shoe it is done the more stable way, if it wants to lay vertically from toe to heel you did it wrong.

14. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Ummm.......:oops: Does velcro count???? LOL

Hell I don't know? I can barely remember last week. Seeing as how none of us ever had slip ons back then and velcro was yet to be discovered it must have been long before I got to kindergarten because I still recall being able to get fully dressed all by myself long before age 5 and going barefoot around our house was a no no.

15. soulman969

Well, just in case you need professional help overcoming that........;)

[​IMG]

troy2003 likes this.
  16. soulman969

Oh he probably learned to cursive long before this. ;)

17. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

JFK was President, I was in kindergarten.
    Fall 62, I was 5.
    I actually remember.

18. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

Shoe tie very early, same with reading. 3 yrs? I was a very clever child. I dont know what happened then, dropped on my head too many times. Ma and Pa quit drop kicking me when I got old enough to run first.
    They had me help teach the little ones. I think kids learn anything very early if you have patience and dont push too hard. After all babies can learn to swim before they walk.

soulman969 likes this.
  19. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I was 4 when I nailed the shoe laces. Mom wanted me to learn before kindergarten started. I was about twelve when I got that potty training bit.

troy2003 and xafinity like this.
  20. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I have no idea. I also can't remember not knowing how to tie them.

But I was fortunate in that my grandmother didn't work (my mother and father dropped me off at my grandparents' house every day when they went to work and picked me up in the evening) and before I started infants' school at 4 she had taught me to read and write (including cursive). She probably taught me how to tie my shoes back then too. :cool:

I'm still working on the potty training thing though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.