How old were you when you first saw Jaws?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rockdog, Jun 5, 2019.

1. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I was a senior in High School...18 yrs old. We were jaded teenagers, laughed at it mostly. There's one moment designed to cause you to jump...and I did. If anything, the movie increased my interest in sharks and I spent some time reading about their biology, etc. We really didn't know much about them at the time. I read the book but don't remember if it was before or after the movie.

LOL, I saw the Exorcist sitting behind a group of US Marines...who were, um, "drunk and disorderly". I was laughing at them laughing at the movie. No point being scared when two rows of the theater are chanting "PEA SOUP! PEA SOUP!"

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I was 7 and watched it at a drive-in theater from the back of a Pontiac Safari station wagon

smartsoul72 likes this.
  3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah...a number of movies at the drive-in (in high school) that I've since seen on TV or DVD, where I say, "Oh!.....so THAT'S what that film was about!".....:)

Straydogger and brookdalebill like this.
  4. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

A big AND bad fish

Rockdog likes this.
  5. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

Skinny dipping in a pool or pond, lake, etc., at night - OKAY. Skinny dipping or even with a bathing suite at night in the ocean - Never a good idea.

Greggorios likes this.
  6. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

So, why couldn't you have liked both forms of music? I love classic and first wave music but... I knew where the girls were. Danced many a night at discos but only for one purpose.

Straydogger and nojazzhere like this.
  7. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

As for my age - I was a senior at high school when the movie came out. Saw it opening night and though I was terrified of sharks after that, it didn't keep me out of the water. I loved the ocean too much.

Fast forward to today - there is an absolute population explosion of GWS in CC and the Islands due to the comeback of their favorite prey - seals. There's been three attacks on humans so far and each one was at a beach that we took the kids to. The stretch between Longnook and Ballston beaches in Truro is one of the most spectacular in the world. I'd be hard pressed to swim too long and too far out from shore now.

8. claes

claes Tele-Holic

I was ten when my parent went and saw Jaws. Rememeber it well because my parent rarely did something without us kids.

Watch some run on the tv in the 80's...and then it had aged.

9. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

uhhhhhhh..... about 35. on VHS

10. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

Let's see. Jaws was released during the summer of 1975. I was 25 and off at my annual two week National Guard "summer camp". Mrs injax and our 4 year old daughter had gone with one of her friends and her 4 year old daughter to my parents' beach cabin on Santa Rosa Beach.

They had decided to see Jaws which was just opening in Destin. After the movie they took the girls down to the beach. The girls were splashing in the surf at their mothers' feet when a guy on the beach starts yelling "SHARK!" . MRS injax's first thought was some guy who had also seen the movie had a sick sense of humor, then the 6' shark bumped against the back of her legs. Screaming, she grabbed up our daughter and high stepped it to the beach where the evidently sick shark washed up.

To this day Mrs injax hasn't set foot in the ocean.

I can't remember when I first saw the movie, but, I have a copy and have watched it probably six or seven times. Great movie!

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

".....only one purpose" ?......Love of Bee Gees' music?

Straydogger likes this.
  12. GeoB

GeoB Tele-Holic

20, a date night. Rainy, we were jumping over puddles walking to the car afterwards.

A lot of people said Roy Scheider was a doppelganger for my dad... I must have taken after my mothers side of the family.

13. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I was trying to work out ( maybe we had the topic on here?) the first movie I saw at the cinema. I had thought it was The Eagle Has Landed ( my father took me when we were on holiday in Scotland) but I’m pretty sure I saw Jaws at the cinema and that was released a year earlier. I guess it’s a slightly cooler answer as well.
    So when I was about 12.
    I rewatched The Boys From Brazil (1978) the other week. Similar in the sense that it’s a great film with a slightly naff looking final scene due to the limitations of special effects at the time. A re-edit of Jaws in which you never see the shark would work quite well for me.

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

It came out when I was 14; lots of people talking about it being scary and bloody. I think I finally saw it when I was 17 or 18 when it made it to the drive in. Buddies drinking beer. It was okay, pretty much what was expected but later I appreciated the main actors more, especially Roy Scheider. I liked him a lot in "The Seven Ups".

Greggorios likes this.
  15. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

Just think of all the chips they’d have needed.

Muddslide likes this.
  16. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

Let's agree to pretend the re-make never happened, shall we?

nojazzhere and RoyBGood like this.
  17. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

Ha, I was JUST in Destin.

That creep you out a little?

18. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

Not at all! A great place to be! Mrs injax and I made several trips over the years to Sandestin to play golf and charter fish.
    My parents' beach cabin was actually on Grayton Beach. I think they tore down all the cabins several years ago and built condos. Last time I was at Grayton was in the early to mid 80's.
    Maybe we'll get back over there some day.

19. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

I am 55 and I have never seen the whole movie, and never more that 15 minutes. However my favorite seen is the guys singing Show me the way to go Home.

Urshurak776 likes this.
  20. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

^^^^^^As above so below but 45 instead and less than 15 minutes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.