How old do you think these are?

pondcaster

Poster Extraordinaire
... well that escalated quickly :D

Or slowly, considering this crowd?

When I first read the thread title last evening, I began to wonker about all these thread-title-dyslexiaisms. Are they fer real? Cries for help from a confused keyboard?

HoodieMcFoodie

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Googling the part number (73-2300) on the bottom edge of the packet returns a link to a 1990 Suggested Retail Fender Price List booklet.

Fendeer front cover.JPG
fender strings.JPG

Nice story about Thonk BTW. When is the movie adaptation coming out?

J Hog

Tele-Holic
In the mid 60's Fender catalogs, 150's were suggested for use on Teles. I'm thinking it was because of James Burton. I think he would take a normal, wound 3rd set, ditch the 6th string, move the rest down one (i.e. 1st for a 2nd etc.) and use a tenor banjo 1st for a 1st string.

CK Dexter Haven

Friend of Leo's
I sold those in the late '70s..well the shop stocked them, most folks went with EB slinkys

Jay Jernigan

Tele-Afflicted
My first set of light gauge strings. Asked my mom to get me a new set for my electric (don't ask) guitar and she brought these home. Thanks, Mom.
I think I was 15.

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
Was searching for something in the old parts bin and found this set of strings lying at the bottom. I don't even remember them, so they must be from a while ago... I internet'd and Fender doesnt make these exact strings anymore... especially with the low E .38... Curious if anyone knows how old they might be? View attachment 436639
Fender must have just recently stopped making that set. I use them and still have some, althought I like GHS better
Didn't Jimi use that set?
Yes, I believe so.

Hamstein

Tele-Holic
Thonk entered the pub and allowed his eyes to adjust to the lamp light.

A pair of dock workers at the far end of the bar eyed the stranger warily, and then returned to their pints and conversation.

He walked to the near end of the rail and spoke softly.
"Bar keep, I'd like a pint, if ye please."

For such a large man, he had an unexpectedly tender voice.
His accent spoke of Blackpool, or Lancaster maybe.

The bartender picked up a clean glass and readied the spigot.
"Sure enough, mate. Tell me though, are ye able to pay?"

Thonk lowered his eyes and confessed, "Not in quid, sair. I just hit town, and haven't even begun to find work yet."

He raised his eyes and added, "But I have something to barter, if ye can find it in ye to consider such a thing."

The bartender sighed, "Right then. Go now, and stay gone, ye vagabond!"

"Wait, sair. Please take a look at these."
Thonk dug into his poke and produced the slim pack of vintage guitar strings.

The pub owner brightened considerably.
"Oh now, this is a different story altogether. Fender 150's, and in the original wrapping. Where did you come upon this treasure, lad? And speak truthfully now, for I'll know in an instant if ye utter any hokum!"

"My name is Thonk, named for my father before me, and his yet before. And these were his. They are all I have left from the man. He was lost, along with all his shipmates, when thet MV Derbyshire went down in a typhoon in the East China Sea."

He swallowed. "They are all I have left."

The bartender softened his tone. "Ah well then, friend Thonk. Ye won't be needing to barter with me this night. My name is Bob, I own this joint, and I'll stand ye a pint."

Thonk had a seat at the bar, and accepted the Guinness gratefully.

"Tell me Bob, is there any work at the docks hereabouts? I see her HMS Albion is in port tonight."

"Ye can inquire at the harbourmaster in the morn, I reckon. Can't guarantee there'll be an engagement though. Times are hard here, and many local men are eager to fill any billet, even if it means going to sea fer a bit."

Thonk nodded, and had a sip. "I guess I best move on in the morning then. I'm not afraid of hard work nor heavy lifting, but I don't stand to compete with the local men for scarce positions, this much is true."

Bob thought for a minute, and then offered, "Tell me friend Thonk, can ye cook? Have ye done any work in the kitchen?"

The big man smiled, "Indeed yes, sair. I spent two years in the galley aboard The Bangor. I learned to crack an egg or two."

"So, ponder this; Herself runs the kitchen in the back, and she's off to Glasgow to tend to her daughter in law. None of these fellers here can boil water or bake a lamb chop to save their life. I am in need of a cook for a month or so, and somebody who can tend this bar whenever I step out for a smoke."

Thonk uttered, "Ye aren't having me on then? You're serious Bob?"

"As a heart attack, laddie. Those sailors aboard The Albion will be getting their liberty tomorrow, and this place will be as busy as as a harlot at Parliament. Will ye sign on fer a hitch, Thonk? The pay won't be bad, and there's digs in the back with a cot, a lamp, and a comfortable chair."

The big man smile broadly. "Aye aye, Captain. I'll be proud to take the job, and many thanks to you."

The two men shook hands on it, and Bob drew a fresh pint for his new charge.

The bartender then filled a pair of shot-glasses, and offered up a toast.

"Here's to yer Dad and his mates, Thonk. May they rest in peace in the East China Sea."

Thonk nodded, chinked glasses with his new skipper, and the two men drank to lost fathers and sunken ships.

The guitar strings were never discussed again that night.

:oops:

3.jpg

I used to know a fella who was a welder on the Derbyshire when it was built!