How often do you get buyer's remorse?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by sloppychops, Sep 29, 2021.

1. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

I get it a lot less since I got divorced.

NoTeleBob, nojazzhere and StrangerNY like this.
  2. GAS Giant

GAS Giant Tele-Meister

OMG - if my wife played as well...we would be dead in the water! She plays a little, which has justified a purchase or two (look at the Martin I got for US!)...She is immune to charms of guitars and would never, ever, buy one herself because the cost is beyond her valuation. Nonetheless, she will stay up late and jones over Master Built Gretsches with me.

Obsessed and StrangerNY like this.
  3. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

Never. Remorse is an awful emotion. I may change my mind about a purchase, but that can take years. Easy come, easy go.

StrangerNY likes this.
  4. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

At least 9 times out of 10.

JDB2 and StrangerNY like this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Rarely.
    I’m not the remorseful type.

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I generally avoid it by not buying actual guitars.
    That's why I prefer Fender style bolt ons where I'm seldom stupid enough to buy an entire guitar with not a single great part on it.
    If I buy one a them glued together guitars I have to restructure my view of musical instruments as tools, into more of a consumer decor concept where it's OK to have a novelty item I can also play some music with now and then.

As for remorse over parts I buy, that can happen but damn, I seen them refrigerated trucks with stacks of people who won't be playing any more guitar ever again.
    Remorse over having a guitar?????

Remorse is a big word!

Yonatan and StrangerNY like this.
  7. NC E30

NC E30 Tele-Meister

That's a great guitar teacher! Many are enablers

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've gotten way worse cases of sellers remorse than I have buyers remorse. I've sold not one but two AVRI 52s either or both of which I wish I had back. I also miss a really cool American Strat I had, at least the kid that bought it is playing it in a band. I miss an American Tele with a rosewood neck that played and sounded better than any Tele I've EVER owned, so of course I had to immediately sell it! The worst though is my 65 Martin D-18 that I owned for forty four years, and the best psychological counselor in the world would not be able to alleviate my angst at getting rid of.

I also had a terrific Les Paul Gibson that I became so fearful that the headstock would fly off of while in the case locked up alone in my closet I HAD to get rid of. I will commit sacrilege right here and now by stating that the Gibson was the best sounding and playing guitar I EVER owned period. The guitar had been Plecked, and played so easily that I could not of course overcome my need to get rid of it for that reason alone. It would have been far better for my particular mind if I had confined my music pursuits in life to that of playing a small hand held transistor radio and left the buying and selling of guitars to the adults in this world. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

Never as everything I buy is from money put away for guitars it money from sales of equipment

telemaster03 and Toto'sDad like this.
  10. Toto'sDad

I wouldn't count on it, if you have a significant other in your life, that money can suddenly become OUR MONEY!

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

I bought one in Arkansas one time, ( a hard tail Strat) took it back in California a few days later. I immediately added it to my list of guitars I WISH I had back. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find an American Standard hard tail Strat? If a guitar is really good or really rare, I CAN'T KEEP IT! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

12. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Afflicted

I rarely buy anything I haven't agonized over. So, buyer's remorse is a rare occurrence for me.

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Afflicted

I think it's been about 4 months since I bought it. I got a good deal on it, about 600 below the street price. I've thought about selling it, but just can't. It's too nice and it's in rotation. The only place it would fetch a fair price is on Reverb, but then you have to pay their seller fees and the PayPal fee. Selling on CL or FB? Forget it. Everyone wants to get something for nothing there.

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

I obviously don't buy enough guitars. I don't think I've ever felt remorse, although I have moved a few on, eventually.
    I can imagine both buying and regretting the two examples you gave here. I just regret that I don't know what it's like to regret purchasing an Italia.

CharlieO likes this.
  15. CharlieO

CharlieO Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

if it is in rotation and you are enjoying it, don't worry about it. You will know when the time has come to get rid of it. Concerning selling on Reverb, the fees would not bother me. It's just a cost of doing business. And what's wrong with eBay? I have bought and sold guitars there with no issues.

16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

With all respect, I don't think you're feeling "remorse"......you're feeling "impatience". ;)
    The only step above you can easily mitigate is the expensive parts part. When I built my partscaster, the only expensive purchase was the neck. I had very specific requirements, which Warmoth fulfilled for a bit over $200.....but everything else was good quality, but economically priced.....Wilkinson tuners and bridge, Bootstrap Pickups, Asian-sourced pickguard and control plate, and of course, a great set-up by a great local guitar tech. I believe I essentially have a "custom shop" (lower case) guitar at a mid-budget investment. I agree, there were stages where I started feeling impatient and wanted it done, but that's part of being a grownup.....savoring the anticipation. I'm glad yours turned out well, and if you ever do it again, it WILL go quicker (cause of experience) and maybe even turn out better! ;)

17. thejackofhearts

thejackofhearts Tele-Meister

Can I ask are you a home player / hobbyist with the occasional gig here or there?

18. thejackofhearts

thejackofhearts Tele-Meister

That's real talk. I'm in the same boat with different paddle. My Double Anniversary looks fantastic, but man it's mud city! And for whatever reason I don't have the will to get rid of it. But it is on the "get fixed" list...maybe I'll get to it in another 10 years.

19. Theorage

Theorage Tele-Meister

As a lifelong auto repair fella, I have serious remorse (like today!) when I am *forced* to take my car to the mechanic (because of time/situation constraints), and I have to hand over $500-700 for some simple fix that I could have easily repaired, time permitting!

OTOH, all gear purchases are of no remorse consequence, as I sell off what I don't want -- many times for profit.

20. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Every time. I hate spending money. It does fade over time, though.

sloppychops likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.