How often do you adjust your truss rod?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 985plowboy, May 22, 2020.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I can count the number of times on one hand that I've adjusted a truss rod.

I almost adjusted it on a Chinese Les Paul copy that I had, but when I removed the "truss rod cover", there was no truss rod. So I sold it on craigslist....

2. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

In my case, I found that they GOT less attention because I never wanted to mess with them!:lol:

8trackmind likes this.
  3. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If it plays great and stays in tune, leave it as it is.

4. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Every 12.6 years depending on moon phase...

If it's a Les Paul with a broken off headstock, I usually don't adjust it, the lack of string tension messes it up, unless I can get a good duct tape/zip tie repair job workin'....... :)

5. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

I 3D printed a tele body. The neck I put on it is the one only time I have ever adjusted a truss rod. I only set up a guitar if something seems “off”. Like a string way to high or low. Im not a huge fan of constantly tuning things. I used to be an auto mechanic. When asked, I used to tell people the best thing they can do to keep a car running well is to keep the hood closed. If it aint broke don’t fix it.

6. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I depends on the guitar and the time of year. I live in Toronto, so we get pretty wld variations in weather, and with it the furnace, or A/C. I live for the spring, summer and early fall so I can leave the furnace off. In as much my house has central A/C, in the 2o years I lived in it, it's been on no more than 15 or 20 times. It never went on once last summer.

As soon as it's warm enough, I leave all of the windows open, and there's a ceiling fan in all off the rooms, except the bathrooms and the family room in the basement - though there is a floor fan down there. The necks on all three of my guitars go back to what I would consider their natural state under those circumstances. The humidity during that period varies from about 40% to over 80%. At some point in the early summer, I can stop tuning the guitars as the necks just find their spot.

When the furnace comes on, as long as I keep all of them in their cases with humidifiers, I'm good. Over the past winter I had to adjust the truss rod on my Martin and my Strat. The Strat was decidedly dried out from leaving it on the stand all the time. I decided that given that it's a Custom Shop, I should probably take better care of it. The fret ends were protruding at the edges of the fret board and the action was too high. I dropped the action, and made two large humidifiers out of margin containers with sponges, and kept it locked up for about two months. The neck is perfect once again.

I also have a Custom Shop R9. During the furnace season, it's always in the case when not in use, with 2 Oasis humidifiers. I've never adjusted the neck. The Martin needs no humidifiers or adjustments during the off-furnace season, but I don't leave it out when I'm not playing it. The dog's tail would easily take it out. So, in short form: It varies.

7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

110, 220 - whatever it takes !

8. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

My gigging days were pre-internet and I never adjusted a truss rod then. I didn't know how, had no quick reliable way of finding out, but I had seen broken ones so I never touched it. If a guitar had a buzz, bow, or other problem I'd take it to a tech.

Post-internet I have adjusted new acquisitions and others but only if there is a problem. I gigged with Fender and Gibsons in different climates, humidity, temp but I really have not had much need to adjust the necks. I spent much more attention to the affect of temp and humidity on tuning. I've probably had to adjust the truss rod or have it adjusted for me less than a dozen times in 50 years.

alnicopu likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.