How often do you adjust your truss rod?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 985plowboy, May 22, 2020.

1. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

When I knock over a guitar with a bolt-on neck, sometimes the truss rod needs a quarter turn.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    rz350 likes this.
  2. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I buy maybe 6 or 7 used guitars a year that are next to mint but been sold cheap. It is almost invariably because someone has tried to alter action by altering relief and then deciding the guitar was a dud

Best experience was buying a bass for 350 w backbow, letting it off a half turn, and selling it for 550

PeterUK, telemnemonics and beagle like this.
  3. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

I read the thread title and wondered how many posts it would take to get to this point. The number is 16 haha. That's actually more than I thought!

ArcticWhite likes this.
  4. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Thank you. Very helpful.

PeterUK likes this.
  5. lowatter

lowatter Tele-Meister

How often? What year is it?

6. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

I thought this was another old guys thread...

39martind18 and PeterUK like this.
  7. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

For me, that's where shades of gray come in. Less than 1/8 turn? I wouldn't bother. I guess my action is high enough that I don't find a need. 20 guitars, all different, and only ever adjust when I first buy it for the most part. That tells me most necks are more similar than different, and those of you who travel or live in hostile environments may need more.

8. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

On the guitar I've had longest, since 1972, I've never adjusted the trussrod.:eek: Of course, it's my 1939 D18- doesn't have an adjustable trussrod!:rolleyes: Thankfully, it really hasn't needed tweaking.:cool:

9. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Tele-Meister

Depends upon the guitar. I haven't touched the Tele neck in years (Strat too). Once I got it set up the way I like, any slight relief changes are within the tolerances of how I like my action, so other than having to retune, I'm fine (but I keep a Fender "T" hex wrench tool in both my Tele and Strat gigbags.

10. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Meister

Whenever necessary.

11. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

I check it every time I change strings, when I'm also giving the guitar a good cleaning, checking intonation, etc. Actual adjustment - some guitars never seem to need it, but my Classic Vibe tends to want an adjustment every four to six months. It has a quarter-sawn neck; seems odd that would lead to more neck adjustments, but it's the only obvious difference from my other maple necks.

12. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

My 2014 Am. Standard was adjusted the day I bought the guitar, and I've never had to adjust it since.
    This is primarily a "stay at home" instrument so that could have something to do with it.

13. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Necks move due to humidity change, either seasonally in one's home environment, or by exposing the guitar to different climates, such as going on tour.

If there is no humidity change, there will be no movement.

If there is movement, whether it affects playability depends on the desired action and the tolerance of buzzing.

Low action, NO buzzing, in the northeast US, where the humidity swings dramatically, guarantees truss rod adjustments twice a year, minimum.

Higher action, and/or living in the desert... the guitar might never need an adjustment.

For my own guitars, I do a setup every time I change strings, which is every couple months. There's rarely much needed, as they never have time to stray far from the ideal.

14. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I live in Athens home of the famous "Attikon climate" with stable humidity around 40% and mild winters/hot summers.

I haven't adjusted the truss rods in my 10 guitars in YEARS.

PeterUK likes this.
  15. Thebluesman

Thebluesman Tele-Meister

If the Relief suits=Leave as is. If not adjust accordingly to personal taste until it does!

16. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

Like many here, I’m in the when needed, which seems to be seldom and guitar dependent camp.

We have agonisingly hot, humid summers and pleasantly mild* but very dry winters. Also, the main two rooms at home that I use guitars in have double sliding doors to the outside world, often open, like right now. My LP I don’t think has ever had an adjustment. Maybe once, twenty or so years ago when I got it and changed to heavier strings. Can’t actually remember. My Tele though, seems to be a bit seasonal. I was planning on giving it a tweak today or maybe tomorrow in fact.

Pax/
    Dean
    * according to southern New Zealand me. Bitter, freezing cold according to the natives.

Edit: and here's the view through the insect screen to the outside world right now, taken upside down from where I’m laying on the sofa in my study. Tricksy phone flipped it right way up. If only guitars would correct themselves...

Edit 2: and for the sake of completeness, here’s the view the other way, including my, um, leg rest.

386AD0B1-00A7-4908-9623-16C01BE66752.jpeg

1495E75F-E65C-4AB7-A256-1C9A55B7AC35.jpeg

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  17. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

I usually have to tweak the truss rod twice per year mainly at the change between winter/summer and vice versa.

We have very humid winters and dry summers which causes a lot of variation.

One exception is my number 1, a 93 MIJ Fender Strat... Not touched the truss rod in 25 years.

18. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I set my rods for the action I prefer. I have no issue with that once or twice. If I have to go back a 3rd time & adjust it, I start looking for a new home for the guitar. General physical stability is a benchmark requirement for me, along with even frets, no string buzz, and no electrical hum.

19. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I am a habitual tweaked. That said I have guitars that need a truss rod adjust a couple of times a year and some that I’ve never touched. My maple board Tele needs adjusting with every season change. I have a 52 es 125 that I haven’t touched in 5 years. I check the relief at every restring.

PeterUK likes this.
  20. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

only if something is very wrong, or if you make a big change in string gauge.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.