1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How often are you noodling vs. writing music?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by naveed211, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I get that. I don’t expect something new when I pick up my guitars but the more often I do the more chance something will pop out or occur to me.

I don’t sing so I believe “song” writing is a separate skill. One I wish I had. I know people that are hired and paid to do that and they sit down and bang out beautiful work. It’s unreal.

2. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Pick one!

3. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Lyrics finally go into a Google doc. Yes I realize this means the Illuminati are reviewing them. I've put lyrics in other places, like on the phone and always forget about them.

I capture stuff in a looper. No further attempt to organize is made. On occasion I flip through them and if I like one, will grab it. Then another. Put them into Ableton Live and hope for a burst of creative energy. That's how my most recent piece was done. Some loops never make it out of the pedal and some I terminate with extreme prejudice so to speak.

I have done many false starts in my DAW. My organization there is to open up a new folder every year for new stuff to go into. I'm not very prolific. So, the DAW files that make it into the "recently used" list have a chance of getting over the finish line. Rare that I revisit an old one but sometimes I do.

telemnemonics and javiersson like this.
  4. javiersson

javiersson Tele-Meister

GDoc, that's good idea. I always write lyrics in a notebook, more expressive :) with the DAW you are right, I also revisit the most recent ones. I used to have a system for having everyting under control, but that was when I had plenty of time. Nowadays I cannot spend 5 minutes going organized when I barely have 10 minutes to play. I had 3 folders, 1. ideas, 2. Demos, 3. Songs. So they acted like a workflow, where songs were moving from one to the next one.

But the problem comes with having several inputs or repositories for cathegory #1... I think I will redefine that step first :rolleyes:

5. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

As I already mentioned, I use Music Memos, an Apple iPhone / iPad only app, for anything sonic; be it guitar or hummed melodies or progressions or half mumbled lyric ideas. This app just records the environment using the device’s mic., but it will analyse the recording and work out the bpm and the chord changes. I do this purely for note taking records - a musical memo. So I don’t forget something.

I record myself directly playing the guitar, but I often also work up a progression and a melody over it on my looper, and record this in Music Memos as it plays back.

For written stuff, I use Apple’s Notes app, so it is cloud based and available / updated across devices. I use this for both note taking memory aid, like Music Memos, and also at times for working out more complete drafts. But, mostly Notes is for memory & storage.

For the actual hard work (which I tend to see as a rare pleasure), I tend to use pen and paper. But, just loose leaf, as it’s not for storage and is discarded afterwards.

The ‘hard work’ mostly happens in my study. I have a Manila folder with songwriting notes in it (principles, guidelines, reminders, etc., not ideas) and a couple of song writing books, a book on rhyme and a non alphabetical thesaurus and a rhyming dictionary, all as aids. Sometimes I’ll take the loose paper, thesaurus and rhyming dictionary with me to a cafe or library, etc. A change of location can be good and help you focus.

That’s my ‘system’ as such.

Oh, when using my DAW (Logic), I also try to take notes in there, in the note window. Key, chord progression, scales, any relevant misc. musical bits, plus I paste in the final lyrics.

Yeah, that’s pretty much it.

Pax/
    Dean

javiersson and telemnemonics like this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Some of the above is info I didn't know I needed and may still not know how to use.
    I have pretty bad ADHD and my brain stores info in odd ways, like words that randomly mean stuff have no sensible connection to the stuff they represent.

The music memos app sounds interesting, Not sure if it would apply and I need to try to keep digital stuff simple of I lose track, but digital is the stuff we have now so learning about tool options seems essential.

If I can maybe get on disability in the coming year I might be able to expand a bit but working in pain has kind of worn down my free time capacity.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Well yeah!
    This summer actually hit me kinda hard because due to "stuff" there has been lots of bands playing outdoors in my reconfigured tourist town where other business was suspended and I guess bands lost the usual venues.
    I really wanted to find a spot in there but I'm chronically busted up and tired so can't scrape that luxury out of any corner of my day to day life.

Assuming a man has got to know his limitations, where do I go from there?
    Well this thread got me to take a crack at forming the ideas of the morning into something resembling a song.

I usually get lyrics when they choose me so only developed some music.
    WRT storing and organizing, I have some various recorded songs with lyrics I can't recall buried in my apple cloud videos, but I don't think the last song lyrics I half recall apply.

If I rave and howl and pray to my muse for a while, maybe words that fit the music will arrive next week in an uber.
    But by then I'll have to dig for the music part I "wrote" today.

Organizing in digital with so many options and apps is a challenge that may be bigger than humming a few bars!
    FWIW I often listen to members here and try to learn a little each day or week, with a sense that if not moving forward I'm digging my own grave.
    Not in a morbid way, just why bother to live if not moving toward something.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.