How NOT to promote a band....

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by bluesky1963, Nov 12, 2018.

1. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Afflicted

Widerange Hum likes this.
  2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I think that's how most new talent is promoted these days. YouTube bombards you with similar promotions when you load the page only most of them don't own instruments.

bftfender likes this.
  3. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

i miss the days we made flyers and hit the music stores and tacked on telephone poles.

4. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Afflicted

Live video from their Manchester show if anyone's interested...

5. bftfender

like the Hanson of metal

6. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

7. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mercy. . . - right now, I'm trudging through this (link and blurb below) in order to prepare for some music time w/ my nephew, who identifies w/ metal.
    Perhaps it's an acquired taste.
    Peace - Deeve

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/12/664762934/first-listen-portrayal-of-guilt-let-pain-be-your-guide
    "This album has to do with the different types of pain one may go through when living in and accepting the horrors of reality," guitarist and vocalist Matt King tells NPR Music. "Corruption within our own government, witnessing and experiencing clear injustices, 'friends' entering and leaving our lives without reason, the list goes on. It is very personal. This album is a mental journey, based on my experiences. I choose to suffer through the pain. This album is a product of this suffering."

8. bftfender

try and keep him pre nu metal...well scrap that comment.. just clicked for a listen..not a big fan of cookie monster singing but i am cool with the music and any original music ..have my LP in my hand and a laney IRT60 with a RAT all gained up and was playing along to it...there is some cool dark haunting melody goin on there.. was leading over it in a counter melody and it got very ugly in a pretty way was holding notes out over the slower progressions and then some counter runs fast for a brief attack...i can take it but have a way of blocking the vocals out but i feel the pain they are conveying..no doubt they got some pain across..is that your nephews band ?

9. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Well, dang it.

I guess I gotta figure out a different way to get to play in the UK.

10. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Jeez, our ancestors experienced far more injustice, destitution, tragedy and pain, and they came through it trying to see the bright side and improve their standing and their kids' standing.

Now we "suffer through the pain" of perceived things that happen to other people instead of doing something to make someone else's life better?

Certainly a first world problem. I guess we, as humans, aren't well-equipped to deal with and be thankful for how good we have it.

11. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Holic

I am SOOOO glad I just play music for FUN!

Our band gigs about 2-3 times a YEAR, and those are small community hall type gigs.

The rest of the time we jam most Saturday nights for.... fun.... and to "stay in shape", learn new songs.
    Some Saturdays, people show up and it turns into a party. All in fun...

We are serious about our fun.... :D

bottlenecker likes this.
  12. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

As Abraham Lincoln once said "Don't believe everything that you read on the internet".

13. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Fortunately, no - not his band.
    He's recently moved from PDX up to the west side of Tacoma and I'm hoping to spend more time w/ him.
    Trading stories about music and instruments each of us like seemed to be a good way to re-establish the relationship that drifted w/ time and geographical distance.
    He's a good lad - even if I don't really understand this cookie-monster vocal affect, there's got to be something that gets him excited about it, and I'll try to figure out what this is. Beatles' Ticket to Ride rings my bell, and I'd be hard pressed to say why, so I'm gonna give him some slack and accept that there's something in there worth coming back to.
    Peace - Deeve

Paul in Colorado and bftfender like this.
  14. bftfender

cool, bonding musically seems to make a great connection. We all have such dif tastes and thats the fun of it..as guitarists we all learn so much just from hanging together, Enjoy !!

15. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

:lol:

16. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

"
    The Underworld, which hosted the show, alleged that the band’s agent claimed the band had sold 291 tickets in advance but only three people turned up:"

Reads like a Spinal Tap event dilemma.

alathIN and SheldonP like this.
  17. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Me too, so I made flyers for my last gig. I made them in black and white using scissors, white out, and a photocopier. Just like I did it 25 years ago. Then I went out and put them up. I don't know if they worked, but the venue was full and I enjoyed doing it.
    I'd like to find more ways to promote the way I like and not do it the way people do it today.
    Everyone's so out there, they seem desperate. I know what they eat for breakfast before I see them play.
    How about some mystery?

bftfender likes this.
  18. bftfender

cool !! i forgot to mention the all time best one..FREE BEER !! man we used to do 4 band private shows and get kegs lined up and would actually make out ok as people loosened up and pitched money in the jar..dont drink now tho,,but the good ol days..the posters were so fun to make and march out as a band and spread that excitement and felt like a band..looked like a band..

19. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

A number of years ago, I read about a proposed stunt by an as yet non-existent reality TV show. The "producers" intended to find an amateur band and start promoting them from afar, in what sounds like a similar way. It gets worse. They were going to be booked into CGBG's, with an audience of people hired to act all crazy, swoon, singing along with lyrics, requesting songs, etc. Then, so went the plan, the curtain was to go up and the grand scam revealed, making the band even more embarrassed. I am sure that this was just an idea, not a realization. Man, I don't know how I would feel if something like that happened, even today.

Oh, no! What if I am an inside joke among composers around the world? What if they think I really the worst composer since Werner Egk?

20. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

In the 80's when all the telephone poles up and down Greenville ave (club row Dallas) were covered with so many staples that you had to bring a cats paw bar to clear a few off to hang your flyers. We had the masterstroke of genius to use the radiation symbol to grab peoples attention and printed the gig info around it in very official looking font and format. The club was called Ground Zero so it fit the theme. Well, it got the attention of the City of Dallas who called us and told us they were flooded with concerned queries of radiation contamination in the area. By that time we had played the gig and were going to remove them anyway.. How not to promote a band.
    IMG_3336.JPG

drf64, AAT65 and RLee77 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.