How Not To Advance Your Gig

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
50-60% of my gigs every year are solo. And I do a LOT of gigs a year. And what you’ve laid out is a huge part of the reason why I do so much solo. Nobody to rely or count on but me, and I know I’ll do it right. Plus, I don’t have to split the money. That sounds raw, but it is what it is. And what it is is my job.
I do miss the musical interplay with other musicians at times, but I find the cost, financially and emotionally/ mental (dealing with the idiosyncrasies of others) to be too high.

Ben Harmless

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm having flashbacks to my live sound days. At one house where I worked, we used to rate things on "ohbytheways." This is a 95% ohbytheway. We also did the "turd to polish" ratio. This is not high on the polish side.

For those who don't know, the whole Van Halen, etc. M&M thing had a purpose. Trigger warning: I'm about to ruin the rock star mythos for you. The idea is that there are between 10 and 50 things on a stage that can kill you, and if nobody's paying enough attention to make sure the runner took care of the brown M&Ms, then nobody's overseeing the production crew, either. It's not a science, obviously, but it's not a whim, either. I'm sure plenty of TDPRIers can attest to this.

Fiesta Red

Doctor of Teleocity
I'm not sure where the hell you're supposed to find two microphones made of lead, either.
This one is pretty heavy, but I don’t think it’s lead…

E7FA2EFE-8A6E-4FA1-B695-3A80B92C5CD9.jpeg

Fiesta Red

Doctor of Teleocity
We booked ourselves to play a place that had a big stage—more than enough room for our 4-piece arrangement at the time, and about 3’ high, so you felt like you were really set up correctly…this was rare for the blues joints and Honky-tonks we’d played this far.

They didn’t have a PA, but that was ok, we had one and we could control who ran it that way.

Then, the day of the gig, I realized they had two duplex power outlets on the entire stage…two outlets that were overloaded with splitters that were running a bunch of neon beer signs…and I was mostly playing through single-coil-equipped guitars…that was gonna buzz like a freshman after his first six-pack.

Two outlets for a PA, two guitar amps, two powered pedalboards, a bass amp and a small powered mixer that was going into our (also powered) DAW (we were recording the show).

Dang. It.

Fortunately, they were on two different breakers. Some well-placed medical grade power strips, an extension cord taped along the wall that was plugged into another outlet away from the stage, and we made do…

I told the guy he needed to get more power outlets and get rid if the neon on-stage if he wanted to book bands.
To his credit, he did; when we played the second gig a week later, there were six outlets (on three breakers) and all the neon was behind the bar.

soundchaser59

Friend of Leo's
10-piece old school funk band, think EW&F, Kool & the Gang, etc. Trumpet, sax and bone players also play keys and sing.
I play in a 10 piece tribute band....
drums
bass
guitar
keys
(that's 4)
sax
trumpet
tbone
sax
trumpet
(that's 9)
singer
(that's 10)

no way it would work with 2 keyboards. If we each play our parts correctly then 1 is plenty, sometimes more than enough.

P-Nutz

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I play in a 10 piece tribute band....
drums
bass
guitar
keys
(that's 4)
sax
trumpet
tbone
sax
trumpet
(that's 9)
singer
(that's 10)

no way it would work with 2 keyboards. If we each play our parts correctly then 1 is plenty, sometimes more than enough.

I hear you, but we play some pretty big stages and it's just easier with cords and such strewn about not having to "run over to" a single keyboard ...

sundaze.jpg

RoR.jpg

FabriceKaiser

TDPRI Member
My next one will be with Vibrogette on Friday 27th January at the Dublin Castle, Camden, London (UK, obv!)
Gear-wise, I'm thinking either my usual Classic Series '72 Deluxe Telecaster or my Squier CV 60's Tele Thinline... OR my J. Mascis Telecaster... I'll probably chose at the last minute.
Otherwise, amp-wise, I've had good results with my WEM Westminster 15 (best sounding and cheapest all valve vintage amp about because NOBODY knows about them!) so I'll stick to that! :)

mfguitar

Friend of Leo's
I would want to head off my aggravation by submitting a list of what I am providing based on their very loose list. Toss the ball back in their court.