How "normal" is Blues Junior Rattle (of some level)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Okieactor, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Okieactor

Okieactor Tele-Holic

Hey, I have a used Blues Junior I bought recently.
    Compared to the Vox AC15 I used to have, it just rattles a lot.

I have tried tightening all screws down, and that helped some, but I just wonder, is there a certain amount of rattle that is just always present in these things, because of the tubes, tank, the baffle, the metal gate in front of the tubes, and all of the physical parts of the amp in a tiny space with 15 tubes watts of power through a 12?

For mine, it currently seems to be mostly baffle, and seems to be mainly notes in the middle of the A string, probably from D through F or so, or the equivalents on the E string, give or take a whole tone.

2. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

By rattle, what exactly do you mean? Metal or wood sounding? Buzzy?

3. Okieactor

Okieactor Tele-Holic

Physical, not electrical. Amp signal is quiet. Obviously gets louder when turned up, but I'd say is normal, it's not an electrical buzz, it's a physical vibration.

It changed somewhat when I tightened some screws all over (back panel, back panel into the metal grate that goes over the tubes, speaker, baffle). It seems right now it is probably the baffle, gets quieter if you hit a loud chord (maybe A barre, route on the E), and hold your hand on the front of the amp on the grille cloth.

Probably more on the wood side than metal, I think.

4. Okieactor

Okieactor Tele-Holic

I may also need to try it in the garage, it's in a corner in the bedroom right now. It may be too much vibration coming out the back of the amp and bouncing right back against various parts.

5. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

The late Bill M had a few tricks to tighten these up.

6. Okieactor

Okieactor Tele-Holic

Do you have links?

7. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Holic

Its normal. Play what ever frequencies at what ever volume make it rattle. Get a pencil and prod around until the vibration stops. On my Blues Jr, the Tube "cage" rattled like a jar of marbles when I hit open A w/ some volume behind it.

So I took it out.

Like I said, use a pencil, don't get yourself electrocuted.

Okieactor and swany like this.
  8. JMac52

JMac52 Tele-Meister

My BJ rattled quite a bit. Tightening everything down as it sounds like you have done took care of about 80% of it. I had some poly-fill ( https://www.parts-express.com/acous...eaker-cabinet-sound-damping-material--260-317) left over from my studio monitor build and put that in the bottom of the cab and that took care of the remaining 20%. You could use pillow stuffing but you want to know the temperature rating of whatever material you use.

9. 50ShadesofOrange

50ShadesofOrange TDPRI Member

I had the same issue, with the tube “cage” rattling.

I wedged a bar coaster under it to absorb the buzz.

It took getting thrown out of a bar to learn it, but I know those things are ridiculously hard to set on fire, so I’m not too concerned about the tube heat causing any issue.

The amp still buzzes, especially when the volume and bass increase, but I just write it off as the nature of a combo amp built/priced to be entry-level.

Okieactor and Veltek like this.
  10. Whatizitman

Okieactor likes this.
  11. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Holic

Yeah, my only concern is tubes dropping out. So I occasionally just stick my hand up there and push them in. Lol Its my workhorse amp, I don't baby it.

Okieactor likes this.
  12. Whatizitman

Does it stop when you press your hand on the cab or baffle? Or I imagine those tube cage could rattle, as others have said. I haven't had mine up too loud very much, so I haven't noticed anything like this.

13. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I have had a couple, and they all rattle, to greater or lesser degree. Removing the tube retainer helps. Adding tube dampers or tube rings helps.

Okieactor and Veltek like this.
  14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe I'm lucky, but I've played several gigs and MANY practices with my BJ III, and don't experience any "rattles". Right now, though, I'm mostly using my Vox Pathfinder 15R, re-housed into a cab with four 8" speakers. I built the cab myself, and (knock wood) it's working well.

bender66 likes this.
  15. Stax1

Stax1 TDPRI Member

Other than the reverb tank pinging away when its in the car, my Blues Jr never rattles.. Its been to a boat load of gigs and rehearsals.. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Okieactor likes this.
  16. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

Can't you just remove the cage?. Those things aren't usually necessary, they are only there because of EU regs.
    Al

Okieactor likes this.
  17. 50ShadesofOrange

50ShadesofOrange TDPRI Member

Myeh. I guess I could remove it, but I figured it also held them in place.

Having a daughter about to turn 5, my plugged in amp time is pretty limited, and the Blues Jr. comes in third behind a TRRI and Orange Rocker 15.

Someday I’ll probably look at a more elegantly-engineered solution than the bar coaster.

Right now, though, I’m being put to work helping dust a rock collection, and I’m being scolded for losing focus on the project at hand.

Okieactor likes this.
  18. Okieactor

Okieactor Tele-Holic

Interesting, I've considered building my own cab for it. Homemade cabs I've seen online have been pretty awful looking, though. Might have to really put some thought into it.

nojazzhere likes this.
  19. Okieactor

Okieactor Tele-Holic

Incidentally, if anyone has successfully dealt with this problem, lives in the Austin area, and likes free beer, let me know.

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I don't have a solution to your problem, don't live in the Austin area, but you're welcome to send the free beer up here to Ft Worth. ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.