1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How negotiable is The Guitar Center?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DugT, Jan 17, 2021.

1. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

For new items, 10 to 20 percent off just by asking nicely. Same at most retailers. The "big box" stores can go to 15 percent off easily.

G.C. are very strict about used stuff, IMO. They have formulas that they stick to, for the most part. After so many days, the price goes down this much, etc.

Only one time ever, I have got them to take an offer on used gear with manager approval, a few days before they were supposed to. It was an amp that had been sitting there for something like 26 or 56 days. It would have been marked down at the 30 day or 60 day mark (I don't remember whether it's 30 or 60). They only agreed to take my offer because I noticed that the insulation on the power cable was broken. I had cash in hand, about to hand it over. But then at the last minute, the guy tells me that the early discount made the sale final, no warranty, no returns or exchanges. I said no thanks; I will just take a chance on waiting four days so I can have a return window. The amp was gone when I came back.

The best deals I have ever got are by negotiating down B-stock, floor model, open box, etc. items that are already marked down. You can easily get 15 percent more off of these items, in my experience. I got my Dirt Road Special, one of my Mustang Basses, one of my Jazz Basses, and several other things this way. Really smoking deals, especially if they are B stock in name only (i.e. practically new).

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    scook and The Angle like this.
  2. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

My experience echoes what EsquireOK wrote.

If it's new, you have some leeway. They will at least match the best price you can find online from a retail site (not a private seller or auction). If it's used, they won't bargain at all. I've been told flat-out that the tagged price on used gear is the price and they have no leeway to negotiate. If you speak directly to the store manager, maybe you'd get a different story there.

Marc Morfei and DugT like this.
  3. DugT

DugT Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for all of the replies. The guitar that I want is new and it is not in stock locally. It is a Schecter that I think has been out of production for a few years but there are still a few in shops, probably because it is a hardtail shredder. Since it is probably a few years old it might have a lot of fret sprout by now unless it has been in a humid state like Forida. If I order it and it needs work do they fix it or would it have to be sent back to Schecter?

Where are Guitar Center Coupons?

4. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

If it needs work, you'll pretty much need to do it yourself.

I get coupons emailed by local stores sometimes, usually after I buy something fairly expensive. I guess they figure that it's worth a shot to get me back in the door.

Otherwise, look for a promotion on the website, usually it's a banner advertising "15% off certain brands!" or something similar. But even if they aren't advertising, you can still ask for a deal. Ask, "you running any coupons?" or "best price?" No harm in asking.

DugT likes this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

My best solution was to trade in a worn out POS piece of gear to get 15% off. It work numerous times.:)

ozcal, JL_LI, Alex_C and 1 other person like this.
  6. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

I've had good luck negotiating. The longer it is in inventory, the better chance you'll have. A little research goes a long way when negotiating prices.

PhredE and Electric Warrior like this.
  7. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

It’s easier to negotiate a price reduction on used gear at the store where it’s hanging. I’ve done better negotiating at Sam Ash than GC and have been offered more than fair pricing at Music Zoo. Make an offer. If your offer is rejected without a counter offer, politely say, “Thank you, I’m not interested at that price” and leave a way for the store to reach you. Or check back to see if they can be a little more flexible a week or two later. Everyone, at least sometimes, changes his mind. You might change yours too if you can meet in the middle.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    Electric Warrior likes this.
  8. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

If they’ll give me Atomic Fireballs, I’m in. That was my favorite candy when I was a kid, even though it sounds more like a diagnosis than a candy name.

9. EugeneWeemich

EugeneWeemich TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

very happy with sweetwater....like a 2 hour drive from me and my man Cody always delivers.

Addnine likes this.
  10. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

LOL, yes lost like at the end of Raiders.

11. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

Imagine a gigantic warehouse filled with Line6 amplifiers.

Ronzo likes this.
  12. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Best deal I've gotten at GC was on a Super Champion XD. It was sitting in the N. Houston store at a pricepoint of $150, about $75-100 below comparable retail. The only issue with it was that it was filthy, has a full inch of dust in the cab, and the tolex was grimy, but it sounded great. Bought it right then and there, got it home, spent a couple of hours cleaning it and dropped a JBL D110F in it. WOW! Reasonably priced items are sometimes available at GC, but negotiation is almost nonexistent, in my limited experience.

13. Cadillac_Mike

Cadillac_Mike Tele-Meister

4u86zy.jpg

14. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Meister

LOL. They pass out the Mary Janes as well. Very - uhhhh - munchable.

Steerforth likes this.
  15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

+1

I had lots of luck, with GC. With Sam Ash, not so much.

But frankly, not a good time to be bargain hunting for guitars. Amps, possibly, or other music stuff, other instruments (basses) but not guitars. If you don't seriously need it, hang tight.

16. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

The point of any negotiation, is to point out (convince?) that they have it overpriced, and that it will not sell as priced. GC recognizes that. But don't think you are going to "convince" them their item is overpriced, when its not. They did the homework when they priced it, so you'd have to recognize an item was either misidentified, or the condition was not correctly assessed.

Alex_C likes this.
  17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

How negotiable is The Guitar Center?

We could find out by making an offer to buy them...

18. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

Today I called GC about a used 1980's Ibanez Artist, The pictures were poor and I could not make out the bridge or the control knobs (Speedgrip or not?). The guitar was listed at $699.00. I asked what was the condition because 'good' is relative. The guy told me it looked pretty good, some of the gold plating was rubbed off of the pickups and a fine tuner was missing from the bridge. He couldn't ID the bridge and the knobs were knurled metal. I asked how long was it at the store, and he said, 'since October 18th'. I asked if the price could be negotiated since it wasn't stock. He asked the manager and they dropped the price to $599.00. SO, I have a vintage Ibanez on the way, I believe it is an AR-150.

Dan German and Electric Warrior like this.
  19. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

If it’s new, bring a $50 pedal with you that you don’t want. I traded a $50 boss pedal in on a $2500 Les Paul. $250 off and no taxes. Saved about $400

Alex_C likes this.
  20. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

I always have success with just calling them...15% off at least, and sometimes as much as 20%

Electric Warrior likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.