1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How much would you pay for my customized Highway One Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Loopinit, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm not saying to lie to him about the fact that parts swapping generally either does nothing for the resale or will actually decrease it (unless you find that one-in-a-million buyer that wants the guitar with those upgrades and doesn't want to do the work), but but using words like 'fugly' and 'hacked', as well as pointing out how much you don't like his guitar, is completely unnecessary. Is it absolutely imperative that this stuff is blurted out without regard to other peoples' feelings? He didn't ask if anybody liked it or not, he asked what the resale value would be with the changes made to it.

I would expect this sort of behavior on sites where the demographic is much younger, but it's really disappointing to see it over and over around here.

2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, considering that this internet myth predates the internet by several decades, I'd say your ideas are somewhat cockeyed. The reason 'modded' guitars are hard to sell is because the average buyer thinks of an electric guitar as being a complicated thing, that if someone has messed with it, you're buying trouble. And many times, you are buying trouble. I've bought a lot of other peoples' projects over the years, and I know this to be a fact.

I'll put my technical skills up against anyone here, but I don't for a minute think my work will fetch more than Fender's. Not because of some evil internet myth that somehow devalues my work, but because I buy and sell a lot of guitars in the real marketplace, and I know what the market is. And, my experience, and that of countless others who have actually done this, is that the only way to get your money out of a project is to sell it piecemeal.

3. Frodebro

It's the same way with cars. Installing $3,500 worth of aftermarket parts on a $2,000 Honda will not get you more than the $2,000 the car is booked at (unless you find a buyer that wants all of that stuff and thinks it's worth it), and for the average buyer the car will often be worth less if it's not 100% factory.

4. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

400 bucks.

5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

So you ARE delusional :lol:

Used goods, of any kind, have always traded at significant discounts to new. Even before the internet.

Huge compared to what? To new guitar sales? Doubtful.

Contrary to popular belief, there are many more guitar players than there are forum members. We, especially the more active of us, tend to be the "geek fringe", not the norm.

But even so, this member of the geek fringe prefers to buy stuff that hasn't already been boogered up by someone else who may be a moron. I'd rather the boogering be done by me, a known mor... never mind. :lol:

Ah, well, I didn't say 'fugly' and 'hacked', did I? And au contraire, he absolutely did ask if we liked it. "How much would YOU pay". My answer is going to be highly dependent on how much I like the item in question. It wasn't a generic market research query, or if it was, it wasn't apparent. I thought I acted in a very restrained manner, considering I thought it was a troll.

6. Chritty

Chritty Tele-Afflicted

He also said make your comments constructive. You can say, "I wouldn't be interested in buying your guitar" without saying it's worth nothing.

7. Chritty

Chritty Tele-Afflicted

^^

8. Frodebro

I wasn't specifically singling anyone out, this was more of a 'group scolding' because people here have a tendency to get caught up in this kind of stuff and then the comments get even less flattering as the thread "progresses". Then the OP revisits the thread, sees all of these negative comments about something that he has obviously put a lot of thought and effort into, and probably wonders why he even comes here. Personally, I wouldn't really want to make anybody feel that way.

9. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

:D I remember having a discussion about this many years ago - The real bargains in cars are the ones that some kid has loved but can't afford to keep. The same could be said of guitars.

Knowing a little about this group, I think if the OP had asked whether we liked his guitar the response would have been quite different. - Mostly/entirely positive, because those who liked it would say so, and those that didn't wouldn't reply.

10. Chritty

Chritty Tele-Afflicted

Not my experience of Internet forums...

11. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

I wouldn't say that this forum were "typical" of Internet forums ... apples and oranges.

12. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

^^^ I'm a veteran ex-Usenetter (about 20 thousand posts), which really is red in tooth and claw, so moderated www fora seem mostly fairly gentle to me. However, it varies, as you would expect. This one, being tele-oriented, attracts a fair proportion of oldies who exercise a bit of discretion in what they post, and this presumably sets the overall standard.

The same applies to music posts - you don't see much adverse criticism.

13. Chritty

Chritty Tele-Afflicted

I do include this one. I stopped posting for basically a year and a half on here because of a lot of negativity that I saw regularly. It stopped being fun

14. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

yeah im not convinced. There is nothing someone can say
    that will compel me to pay more for a tele with a bigsby when
    I dont like bigsbys.
    Maybe the rest of the world works that way but I dont.

15. moosie

Yup. Generally a nice group here.

People tend not to go out of their way to offend, nor to sit on a hair trigger, just waiting to be offended.

16. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Forums could be much worse than this one .. and yes, I agree .. if asked whether we liked the tele, I think answers would be mainly positive.

With regards to selling it .. if you find a kid, who would do the same mods and loves them, then you can get a higher price than usually. Chances for that happening are slim.

For the rest of us mods usually don't detract, but seldom add to value. The locking tuners are a nice touch for someone like me, but the rest is just different and makes no difference. The thing is this: Your choices for mods are different than what I would do, so I'm not going to reward you for them. If I'm to pay for mods then I want them to my precise specs.

The bigsby might be a burden actually. Tele players tend to dislike tremolos .. if we liked them, we'd be playing Strats already :)

17. moosie

Plus, if you're the modding type, a lot of the value to you might be doing it yourself.

18. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

about 400, up to 500 on a good day

unfortunately you don't get any resale from mods

great looking guitar though, keep it

19. Vintagebrit

Vintagebrit Tele-Holic

I wouldn't buy a modded guitar, so can't put a value on it.

The mods you have done have created your perfect guitar and that is ALL that matters.

Like you said, it's not for sale anyway.

20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

There was IMO an "E-Bay Bubble" and people who had the bug bad, often could not resist paying delusional prices for modified guitars and even for pedestrian guitars they could've bought new at a nearby store for less money.

That bubble abruptly ended with the housing crisis and Lehmann Bros. and all that. Now I'd say the internet value of parts casters and modified guitars is abnormally suppressed. What I see is people giving their modified guitars away on E Bay and Craigslist, etc., and other people come in and part the guitars out and they make some spending money. So, if there's a "Bubble" right now it is on individual parts which have been parted out. Those pieces parts, if Fender, are IMO heavily overpriced.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.