1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How much would you pay for my customized Highway One Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Loopinit, Dec 25, 2015.

1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I can't tell if you're serious. This is simple economics.

Like anything else, it depends on specs and condition. One-off custom orders with generally undesirable specs are going to go for a whole lot less than, say, a Time Machine late '50s whiteguard with popular and/or vintage colors.

Additionally, it's about who did the work. The same guitar, same condition, same quality of parts and labor. If it came out of the Custom Shop that way, it will resell for a WHOLE lot more than if "my cousin, the best luthier in town" modded it.

If you're asking how much would I pay for someone else's CS? If it wasn't to my desired specs? Nothing. My specs are fairly easy to find on a CS Tele. In that case, assuming the guitar was entirely stock, couple years old, exc condition, then the going used rate. It's a well-known market.

2. moosie

You'd prefer we lie and say, sure, it's worth everything you have into it, and more?

I don't think anyone is trying to be malicious here. If you never want to be surprised, then only ask questions you already know the answer to.

I did suspect trolling initially, because who says "My guitar is not for sale.... how much could I get?"

3. xFallenx

xFallenx Friend of Leo's

Personally I would pass on the guitar. Not because it isn't nice or anything like that, but because it doesn't match what I like. I very strongly don't like a Bigsby or strap locks. That in itself is enough to make me pass. If I did like them though I would still probably offer what they normally go for used or a little more. That being said I'm glad you have your dream guitar :)

4. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

just playin'
    I dont want those caps

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm hypothetically serious.
    I don't really think the popular belief that changing the pickups in a Tele reduces the value of the guitar is "simple economics".
    You kind of explain my meaning by saying you would pay nothing for someone else's CS guitar if it wasn't to your desired specs.
    Every Fender is a mix & match bag o' specs, and while you or I may not want a Bigsby, that doesn't make a Bigsby equipped Tele worthless, any more than a CS guitar with specs we don't like is worthless.

While it is a fact that modded Fenders are harder to sell, I do not agree that harder to sell is the same as having lower value.

We perpetrate an internet myth by telling people that a $500 Tele with better pickups installed is worth less than $500 because we know somebody who had trouble selling their partscaster.

This Hwy 1 is beyond changed pups, but it is not really much different from what we promote doing here on this forum.
    We say "install new pickups and pots and superswitch", then we say "now your guitar has lost half its value".

This is just not simple economics IMO.

6. moosie

You're barking up a tree that I'm not hiding in. I don't do anything with partscasters. I don't sell my guitars. I only buy new, or mint used. So I really don't care about this partscaster debate.

If you try to sell me something I don't need or want, I'm not going to buy it. I'm going to pay zero. You say "but it's not worth zero". I say it's worth what your buyer will pay for it. Want more money, go find someone who wants it.

Harder to sell (aka not having anyone who wants it) is the same as having lower value if you need to sell. As soon as you're a motivated seller, the price comes down until it sells. If you're not motivated, then you don't have firsthand pricing data. You need to estimate. Usually that's done by looking at recent comps, which are actual closed deals involving people who did want to sell.

You seem to want to make an argument that used should not sell at a discount to new, in the cases where you deem it to be just as good or better. Never happen. Put yourself on the other side of the deal.

7. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

My first impression as well. In the end, no harm done, the OP asked for input, and received it.

8. Chritty

Chritty Tele-Afflicted

"How much would you sell my customized Highway One Tele for?" is probably a better question to ask.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  9. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

10. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

If it is truly YOUR dream guitar, then....priceless;)

11. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Just realistic.
    I've put together my dream guitar. Bought every piece with no care as to price, only wanted best quality I could find. I've got at least $800.00 in it, plus hours of my time making it as close to what I call perfect as possible.
    To me it's worth at least as much as a Custom Shop. Since I finished it I've got 2 Custom Shop Teles that don't get much playing time.

I'm realistic though. I know that unless somebody plays it, falls in love with it and just has to have it, then I can't ever get what it's worth if I sell.
    Only way to get most of my money back is to take it apart and sell the
    bits off.

Doesn't do the OP any good to blow smoke up his ass.:)

12. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

For me to buy that guitar, it' would have to be at a steep discount.

I mainly buy from pawnshops because I can take control of the buy because I'm the one with the most knowledge on guitars when talking with clerks or managers.

First I'd point out that the guitar could be bought an E-Bay for about $450.

Secondly if there are any issues I can get a full refund an my money back.

I'd point out that the guitar has been heavily modified and is no longer in original condition. This affects the value of the guitar.

I'd offer them about $300 for your guitar if I found in a pawnshop. If they didn't take the deal, I'd pass.

I'd have to buy it low enough to be able to sell for slight profit in case I can't bond.

13. telemnemonics

I wasn't directing my comments at you personally, you just write very clearly and your opinion is widely held, so I took the opportunity to address some of the points you stated.

Do you see my point that there is great support here for modding Teles but then no support for their value?
    Sure, if a guitar is butchered, down goes its value.
    But there is such a strong sentiment that putting better pickups in a guitar kills the resale value, even though a seeming majority of players WANT better pickups.

You say "Harder to sell (aka not having anyone who wants it)", yet many Teles with upgraded pickups and hardware are what many players and hobbyists do actually want.

Certainly we cannot expect to get the used retail price plus the cost of the new parts upon resale, but so many here state that the guitars value is reduced by installing boutique pickups.
    This seems like a vestige of the vintage market, where less common Leo era Fenders are worth far more in all original condition.
    I don't see the current mass market that way.

IMO the only reason better pickups reduce the value of a modern Tele is that forum members say so over and over and over.

14. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I always figured that my 2005 Hwy1 Strat which has a USACG neck, Fralin Vintage Hot pickups, a Callaham bridge and a few other mods would be worth about what I paid for it new- $500 or so if I ever decided to sell it.

I knew that going into it and was putting together a Strat that would suit me (it's pretty awesome). Unless my taste is similar to most other people, I have reduced the number of buyers for the guitar and its value.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  15. Itwang

Itwang Tele-Meister

Well I recently sold a similar HWY 1. I had Fralins in it, Joe BardenBridge and saddles, shielded the cavity, 4 way switch, and pearl pick guard. Well I posted it for $500. Nothing, not a single offer. Not even a methy little lowball. So after a couple of months, down to $450- nothin. So I put her back to stock everything and posted again, nothing. So down to $425 she goes, final offer, as I think I'm giving it away. After a few weeks. A dude calls me and offered $400. I jumped on it. 4 months and a lotta craigslist time and I still gave it away. My advice, put'er back to stock and take the first offer over 350, or else just keep it. Used guitars are worth squat in my experience.......

16. surfoverb

i was selling a 52RI, all stock except i put fred stuart blackguard pickups in it,
    these are $300 pickups made by the guy who invented the Nocaster.

Tried selling it for $800, nothing. All I got were, "do you have the original pickups?"

which I did. But nobody wanted it.

I even told one guy "ill put the original pickups back in it, and give you
    the Fred Stuart pickups, which you can sell for prolly $200,"
    Nope.

I ended up selling it for $500.

so yeah changing pickups KILLS value. this is not a myth.

17. telemnemonics

My theory is that the myth comes from the internet, not from any real intrinsic value loss.
    If forums were dominated by posts about parts upgrades increasing guitar values, buyers would probably not be afraid to pay fair used prices for a '52RI with better pickups.

On the other side of the coin, is it quick and easy to sell used guitars in stock condition?
    I've always found selling used guitars to be a PITA, modded or not.
    Maybe it would be easier if I had an established guitar shop and offered a warranty on used gear?
    Do retailers typically get higher prices than musicians who need money ASAP?
    Do guitar buyers prefer bringing large amounts of cash to strangers houses over shopping at their favorite guitar shop?
    Is it really the FS pups that made your RI hard to sell for a fair retail price?
    Or is it the internet warning buyers not to pay what a guitar is worth if the pickups have been changed?

Never mind, losing battle...

18. surfoverb

people want stock guitars period.
    it has little to do with the internets.

19. telemnemonics

Then why is there this huge modding forum culture and aftermarket parts industry?
    This forum is funded largely by the modding parts industry, and much of the thread content is about (and in support of) modding.

20. surfoverb

modding is about personalizing

same reason there is a refinishing forum here
    but it will be hard to sell a bright pink tele

Leo Fender was confounded by the aftermarket industry-he never understood it either.
    And his guitars, moreso than any other are made to be modded.

in general, rule of thumbs says stock>modded
    when selling

it is what it is...:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.