1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How much would you pay for my customized Highway One Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Loopinit, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Loopinit

Loopinit TDPRI Member

Just wondering how much the forum members would be willing to pay for my guitar after all the mods I put into it. I won't be selling it unless I need to buy a kidney one day, because this is the guitar I have envisioned since I started playing.

I understand mod's which I value may not be of value to others, please be constructive though. Here are the stats.

2009 Fender Highway One Telecaster (cream); modified with Fender authorized Bigsby vibrato bar and bridge; new tone (center indent with bass or treble cut) and volume (500k) pots; orange drop caps; Schaller 5 way megaswitch with bridge, half out of phase, bridge and neck, bridge and neck in series, and neck positions; copper cavity shielding; new silver wiring; Fender locking tuners; Fender strap locks; pearl hardware candy all over; Franklin leather strap; Thalia pearl inlay capo; and a black tweed Fender hard case.

[​IMG]

2. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Well I'll give you my experience. About 18 months ago I bought a Tele which had been built to a guys spec. Highway 1 neck, MIM body, US vintage fittings with vintage noiseless pickups. I picked it up for less than a stock MIM. Sold it a couple of weeks ago for slightly more than a stock MIM.

My guess is most people will just view it as a partscaster and value it as that. Uness you find someone who see your vision and is willing to pay a premium I'd say you will take a hit.

Bit like customising a car, you never get your money back .... Lovely looking guitar though.

3. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

That is so personalized that I am not sure what someone would be willing to pay. One of the appeals of a Tele is it's simplicity and your Tele is far from simple with center indent, megaswitch etc.
    It would take someone with very specific tastes (like you) to value your instrument but it would be hard to imagine a large segment of guitar players who share those tastes. It takes demand to drive up prices.

4. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

Yup, you need a certain buyer.
    For me, I'd appreciate the Bigsby and convert everything else back to stock.
    So because of the work involved, for me it's worth the same as a stock HW1. The Bigsby (+) and other mods (-) cancel out.
    Nice lookin' though.

5. Textele

Textele Tele-Holic

$ 525.00 up to $ 650.00 to the right buyer.

6. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

zero dollars
    not a bigsby fan, hate white guitars, the pickguard
    tuners, bridge, 5 way switch, pots, knobs, all has to be changed.
    not a fan of the case either so that has to go too.
    oh and the straplocks-not a fan of those.
    i dotn like leather straps or capos as well.

really the only thing Id want is the orange drop cap
    ill give you $1 for that. as long as the legs are usable,
    and its a .022

7. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A used Highway One goes for around $500. Add a bit for the Bigsby, maybe another $50. The rest of the gee-whiz stuff (silver wiring, copper shielding, etc) doesn't add anything to the value, and in fact makes a lot of buyers nervious. My experience has been that pearl is a love / hate thing, the majority coming down on the 'hate' side. Straps you might as well give away or keep for another guitar.

I agree with the 'right buyer' sentiment mentioned above. You'd undoubtedly have to work at selling it, and the price would probably not be a happy surprise.

This is all based on what I see around me in the cornfields of Illinois. Your market could well be very different.

8. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I have a 2004 Hwy. 1 and got it at a "bargain" price of 41350 here in Oz.
    There bridge pickup did not have a copper plate so I put in a Tonerider and earthed it properly. It is a Made in US stamped guitar.
    Not good enough from the factory.
    What were Fender doing?
    I had to effectively improve it.
    They were $2000 at time.
    Otherwise I love neck, Blonde colour etc. and she plays fine now.

9. Tonetele

Correction- Typo error-$1350 AUD.

10. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It's probably tough to hear, but in the eyes of potential buyers with all those mods they are seeing it as a "Loopinit" brand guitar, not a Fender. To get max value it would best to return it to stock and then sell the parts separately. Given the unknown skills of an unknown modder I would tend to avoid it entirely.

11. Tonetele

Correction- Typo error-$1350 AUD.

12. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

As most guys above have said, those upgrades wouldn't significantly add to the resale value to me. Mods don't generally work that way. Return on investment is usually really low or even non-existant, so it's better not to even think about it that way.

13. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

+1 on that.
    To give you one man's point of reference, I built a frankenstrat that is made from very nice parts - 62 reissue body, Robert Cray neck, EMG DG20 electronics, Callaham bridge. I have well over $800 in it. Put together well, plays, looks and sounds great. I've tried to sell it a couple of times. The most I've been offered is $600. I would probably do better parting it out.

14. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

I'd say $400-550 since HW1's aren't too rare around here, in my experience, and I personally would redo the electronics with a 4 way, volume, bass cut, and treble cut. I'd have to use mini pots and a custom control plate, but so be it.

15. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I would not insult you with an offer, but if I saw that guitar on Craigslist I'd root for you to get your price, because I'd know there was lots of love and money invested in it. It will likely not finance your new kidney.

I gave one of the five teles I made to my son, a Blues Junior to go with it, then gave him my router too. Enough is enough. All are good/great guitars, none are worth selling, and I'm out of places to hang them.

16. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

$400-$450 is a good price.

17. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

I would not be inclined to buy a similarly hacked guitar, but if I was going to spend money on it, I would probably go $200.00, max.

18. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

$4,000 for a hwy1?
    Im pretty sure one can adopt
    part of the actual highway 1 (PCH) for less than that

19. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

It is a beautiful guitar. Congrats.

20. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

+2

Did you have to put holes in the guitar for the Bigsby? If the bridge is reversible I would put the original bridge back on it. The other stuff is a draw, maybe for the right buyer you can get a few extra $$$'s for it, may around $25.00 to $50.00. So maybe around $550.00-$600.00 for it.

If the Bigsby isn't reversible I would expect to get around $200.00 to $300.00 for it.

With the right buyer you might get up to $500.00 for it, but that would only be if every star in the universe aligned.

I love buying modified guitars when I like the mods. I save lots of $$$ that way for a kick butt guitar!

Your Tele looks like a hell of a player to be loved and enjoyed.

Kiss My Shiny Nitro Ash!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.