How much would you guys pay for my partscasters?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by 63 vibroverb, Oct 17, 2020 at 6:32 PM.

1. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

Both of my partscasters ran me around $650 in parts (Warmouth necks) and I did my own finishing. Considering what a newer Player series goes far and how good they are, you can't really expect to recoup your outlay. I've read here several times that you'll make more money parting out your guitar than you would selling it whole (if you used quality components).

Si G X and 63 vibroverb like this.
  2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

$500 max; that's if I had it in hand and it played great, needed no fret or work, etc., and had the pickups I actually wanted. And I guarantee you that if it's stock MIM neck, they need fret and nut work to be idealized.

If it was at stock Vintera quality level, then maybe $400.

In order to have a truly good quality partscaster, you need to have more than $500 into it. So it's a losing proposition. You're just talking about selling partscasters. If you're gonna sell partscasers, you're better off branding them with your own logo and headstock design.

Muadzin and Marc Morfei like this.
  3. JRtele

JRtele Tele-Meister

All this to say, if you don’t mind my recommendation, offer custom builds in your community, advertising on sites like this, kijiji and craigslist.

Give people choices in finish, neck, pickups.

If you started by charging $100 for labour there could be a demand there (especially if you can do small details like custom neck plates or decals).

4. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've always wondered about hooking up with education systems, and providing instruments to students at loss-leader costs, to get them acquainted with the brand. Or even donating a few instruments to a school music program, prominently branded pieces.

And then taking the calls for setups and repairs to maintain the relationship, perhaps.

Sort of an advertising cost.

JunebugJones and tery like this.
  5. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

@Jakedog's experience is what you should expect. Brand prevalance, marketing, reputation, demand, etc are all the things that command a premium. Sadly someone who has built a few really good partscasters doesn't have any of that and so the masses only see your guitars as a bunch of used parts that have been cobbled together.

Jakedog likes this.
  6. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have four parts teles similar to the ones you're describing, with bodies I made, nice Warmoth and Musikraft necks, pickups from people like D. Allen and Don Mare, decent tuners and hardware.

If I were to sell them I know I'd be lucky to get more than $300 for each of them. I'll give them away or bury them before I'll listen to people tell me why that's all they're worth.

"I'd let you pay me what I'm worth," my dad used to say, "but hell, I can't work for that."

7. RifleSlinger

RifleSlinger Tele-Meister

As a thing unto itself, considering value of goods, I would say it's easily a $1000 product. You have to lay the groundwork to earn the reputation to attain that, so you'd likely have to start near your cost and market yourself well. If your product exceeds expectations and the word gets out, you could start getting decent pay for your time. Name value is worth more to most people than the object.

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

We the buyers have no reason to pay for your labor building your custom guitars for you.

But if you’re building our custom guitar for us, then your labor has value to us.

9. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

I have known some top-shelf luthiers who made very fine archtops from the ground up. Takes a lot of skill, tools, experience...and they all went broke. If all you do is screw some parts together (very fine parts I'm sure), what do you realistically expect to make from it?

Muadzin and oldfish like this.
  10. Telefan65

Telefan65 Tele-Meister

Me,
    Five bills max.

ChickenKiller likes this.
  11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Fair enough question but that could be asked in many situations.
    One answer that often applies is seniority, which amounts to a reputation or a known proven value.

Brand recognition is a version of seniority and known proven value and quality.

If you built custom spec guitars for forum members for several years, ran an interesting website, created a mythology Togo with whoyou are and what makes your guitars any different from or more cool than an MIM; then shoppers would have a solid set of reasons to choose your guitars.

JunebugJones likes this.
  12. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Just offer the loaded bodies and let people use their own neck.... F heel necks are pretty common...

or have someone who has a #1 hit song play one in their band... with your logo on it...:)

13. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

Definitely no money to be made in making a partscaster for yourself or trying to sell. I’ve done 4 now, about $1600-$2000CAD in parts and that’s what I’ve sold them for. None of them were being built to sell but I’ve had my fun with them. Always sold one to build another. I’m currently doing another one. Just fun to do for yourself really. B4D35DBE-3D37-40B3-8CC4-1D0F3B7947B4.jpeg 1F832961-2113-4EB0-B780-E486ED4D75E6.jpeg BF0D5443-3B88-4B68-939C-10A6D2A66EF9.jpeg 1B86589F-5F9D-4C80-84C8-503ACF61A6EB.jpeg

14. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

yep... no way you can build one cheaper than Fender, and they have a name.

15. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

It would really be about building "your" brand, and you really cannot do that with a MIM Fender neck. Those are nice builds based on the pictures, I especially like the Blue one. Around here I never see a MIM for less than $400 and if stock they have some pretty crappy components. I think you could sell these for over $400 but not much more with a Fender MIM neck. There are a lot of low end guitars out there that are very playable and you can make them better with a couple of upgrades so you have to set yourself apart in another way.
    Respectable builders like Bob Logan can command $1k but I doubt he started out that way and even at that price its more of a labor of love than anything.
    What did you have in mind for price?

JunebugJones and 63 vibroverb like this.
  16. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

*duplicate*

17. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

I can agree to this based on my own experience. In just the last year I fixed one friend’s Ric bass and built a Tele Partscaster to the purchaser’s specs for another friend. I charged my cost for the Partscaster, which didn’t include all the shop materials, thinner, polishing compound etc. Now he tells me he would have paid me a lot more! I’ve fixed quite a few guitars for others ranging from bone nuts and saddles to tiny surface mount electrolytic caps on a Yamaha acoustic-electric, loose braces, etc. But I usually only charged costs and a couple beers because it was my circle of friends.

Well the friend I built the Partscaster for cannot stop telling people how perfect his guitar is and the Ric owner is doing the same... now I’m getting other local musicians asking me to help fix their instruments or build them something. For 25 years I just did guitar repair and maintenance for myself and friends but a couple projects with the right people and now it’s different. Honestly, I don’t know if I like it.

18. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Afflicted

Well, some pretty strong opinions here which is fine and I appreciate the input nonetheless. However, I'd like to see pictures of these partscasters that sell/sold for $300-500. All I'm hearing is "all partscasters go for $300-500, so yours are worth that much too".

And isn't it funny how the indie amp makers can be doing the same thing, yet their stuff is valued and not "better off as parts"?

Is this just strange human psychology?

I have more than $500 in each one, but whether or not it's a "truly good quality" guitar would have to be decided after playing it and hearing it in person, don't you think? Does a $2000+ parts built guitar guarantee it's good on money alone?

Well, I think I will build one and put it up to see what happens. Like I said, I am not really offering a custom service, more like I make guitars that I think are beautiful and play/sound great, that I would buy myself, and offer it up for the right person.

I guess you could say that about any other guitar that wasn't custom built to your every request. But I would be offering something different with the oil-finished bodies and unusual colors. Part of the enjoyment for me is the creative input and someone appreciating that.

No where have I have even hinted at me being a luthier in this conversation. Sanding, drilling, fitting, and measuring are some of the things I do, in addition to screwing things together. But isn't that what the factory workers at Fender are also doing? The difference is I'm picking out every part, agonizing the details, making it unique, and giving a damn (even on Friday afternoon). If that is not worth anything to anyone, well I guess people here don't have a right to keep complaining about raising prices and cutting corners.

While I agree with how things work like that, I will say that is also part of the problem. I've read so many accounts on here of people complaining about their new guitars and "oh gee, they're just riding by their name now" all the time. Granted, I'm not claiming my partscasters are "all that", but I think they're pretty special and hope that people with the same tastes would agree and try one out.

Same thing happened to me recently. Thus the reason for this thread.

RicoC3PO likes this.
  19. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Afflicted

I'm not trying to create a whole new brand or a full business out of it, but if someone is on the fence about getting a new Vintera, Baja, Classic Series, or similar priced tele, it would be cool to offer them an alternative that's better made, still has the classic look, has my personal touch, and is priced similarly. They get a better guitar, I make a little money. Is that too unreasonable?

20. JRtele

JRtele Tele-Meister

In answer to one of your last posts regarding a $2000 partscaster, here’s my last build I had mentioned as over $3,000 Cdn (~2,300 US).
    1CD24673-797B-4E4D-95B8-FE737A4BC9C1.jpeg
    I love it, but it’s “value” is extremely subjective. Most people don’t care about Callaham knobs or control plate. Someone wouldn’t like the edges of my custom made neck. Another guy would hate the model of Lindy Fralins I chose. And that’s all good.

In answering why amp makers can ask more I’d propose it’s the complexity and risk. I’m a former grunt turned white collar jackass. But I can throw together a tele and if it’s not 100% playable or a wire was soldered incorrectly it’s a cheap and easy fix.
    But if I tried my hand at building an amp and it goes wrong (I assume it would), I could burn down my house.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.