1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How much would you guys pay for my partscasters?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by 63 vibroverb, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Weazel

Weazel Tele-Holic

As an assembler of guitars for over 30 years, I tend to think of partcasters as LEGO. Simply put; prefab parts put together (granted, some skill is involved, but really.....).

You wouldn't pay for a preassembled LEGO model, would you?

Wulf and JRtele like this.
  2. rockinstephen

rockinstephen Tele-Meister

OK, I'll start by not using the term "partscaster". Instead, I'll call it a "custom build". Now, generally speaking, guitars of this nature will likely not hold the value of an American built Strat or Tele. It's kind of like building hot rods. The guys who build them will have more time and money invested into them than they will ever get back. Still, building guitars, like cars, is an enjoyable hobby. It's quite possible to get a custom build guitar that will exceed one from the factory. Selling it for what you have into it is a different story. Personally, I just wouldn't pay a lot for a custom build.

Having said that, I'm working on a custom build Strat of my own. The body is from a brand called Lotus. Sure, it's plywood, but who will ever know? Will that really effect the overall tone? Probably not to my ears. The real challenge will be getting a good finish. I have the body primed ready to sand. I've been watching videos on YouTube which have been very helpful. It will have a Jazzmaster neck from a J Mascis signature thus saving me the cost of replacement tuners. I'll be using a loaded pickguard and other parts available on Ebay. Sure, the guitar will never be worth a lot of money, but I'll have the experience of the build and the pleasure of playing it afterward. Good luck to those who tackle a similar project...

3. KS6V

KS6V TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

OP, some really nice looking guitars.

soundchaser59, I'm starting to put a partscaster together. I bought a Squier loaded neck to put on an American small shop pine body. Best deal I could find on an inexpensive neck. Don't intend to sell, just for my use. Should I remove the Squier from the headstock? Not intending to mislead anyone into thinking it's an original Squier. Just not looking forward to trying to match the finish after sanding. Sorry for the thread drift, my situation is different from the OP. This just got me thinking.

4. dunehunter

dunehunter Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

edit

5. dunehunter

I would. Yes. Presumably, someone else, somewhere along the line is going to end up with this thing. Then someone else. How far down the chain does it go before the "partscaster" thing gets booted and it's a Fender.

I build Tweed amps--just for my own use. They "look" a lot like Fender's Tweeds but I put my own label on them (and in them) so there's no mix-up down the road.

soundchaser59 likes this.
  6. KS6V

KS6V TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Thanks, hadn't really thought about that. I've got a name in mind for the label. It is the name of a song though. I sent a message to the writer/ performer asking for permission. Probably won't get a response, but if you don't try...

dunehunter and soundchaser59 like this.
  7. Fred_Garvin

Fred_Garvin Tele-Holic

If you want to lose money, selling partscasters is a great way to do it. As others have pointed out you can do better taking apart guitars than you can building them. The OP's guitars look great, but you'd be lucky to get the cost of parts out of it.

The first guitar I built, I gave to my 12 year old nephew, less than 10 years later I watched him play it on the Warped tour. That's the best reward I've had from building.

Even Paul Reed Smith didn't make any real money building guitars himself, he did it by starting a company.

If you don't frequent the Tele Home Depot, check it out. Lots of great experience and advice.

I hate to discourage anybody, but you're not going to make a profit. Build because you want to.

P Thought likes this.
  8. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

Clearly you can make a small fortune building partscasters.
    Simply start out with a large fortune.

Elgin, radiocaster, CCK1 and 2 others like this.
  9. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Well... that's what you do when you buy a stock Fender guitar: someone else's idea of the ideal guitar. Every fully assembled guitar new or used is someone else's idea of the ideal guitar.

So, unless you choose every individual element of a guitar, you ARE buying someone else's idea of the ideal guitar.

This is the exact reason I've taken to putting together my own Fenders, using Fender-brand bodies and necks - because NO stock Fender guitar brings the specific combination of features that I wish to have.

KS6V likes this.
  10. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Or you can keep the Fender shape, scuff 'em up and sell them for $2k. Like Nash.

USian Pie likes this.
  11. dunehunter

edit

12. jim232777

jim232777 TDPRI Member

Long but interesting read. Coincidentally, I ran across this video discussing boutique vs. partscaster.

13. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

When it comes to partscasters, I just love building them. I have only sold a few, but if a project doesn't come up to my expectations, it gets recycled into something else. If you are building a Fender style partscaster, they end up sounding like Fenders as that is the design you are shooting for. You are building one to your specs and likes without taking out a mortgage. I have fun doing it and I don't care what anyone else thinks or has an opinion on. To each his own

Wulf, Jay Jernigan and Tele Plucker like this.
  14. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

I built two Tele style partscasters from top grade parts and I would not think of selling either one. They turned out excellent and are inspiring to play.

DHart likes this.
  15. DHart

My sentiments exactly - build your own Tele, selecting your very favorite components (personally, I use Fender-branded necks and bodies), dialing in very specific choices for pickups, and electronics, etc. and you'll likely end up with a guitar you never want to part with. I've done this about a dozen times. :eek: Each one quite different from the rest.

16. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

That last line is the key to the whole thing. It is the point, isn't it, really.
    You can buy a guitar that is already made like another guitar, as much as is humanly possible at least, and there will be variances, of course, but for each to be quite different is a lot more interesting.

DHart likes this.
  17. DHart

Indeed... that's why I've gone to using so many different pickups in my various Teles. They also vary to a degree in their necks, fret board woods, body woods, and their colors/finishes. So, it's a interesting and varied lot of Teles! :)

18. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

I love building partscasters.
    also love tearing down a cheapie and modding them...different pickups....different wiring...refinishes etc.
    what you really end up with is an instrument that is personalised with next to no sale value.
    still fun to do and you learn a lot.
    been fixing guitars for people for yrs and have accumulated a tea chest full of bits.
    mate of mine bought a stack of cheap tele copies...then made steel bodies for them...i ended up with half a dozen bodies with no necks...mate of mine wanted a black tele with gold hardware so i built him one. the build cost about a hundred quid...if that....i used a squier strat neck i had gathering dust...i know its not an exact fit but it played like a dream....gave it a matching headstock...so he got a unique tele...i got hundred and fifty quid..
    building them is a fun hobby...not a great buisness venture...even if your parts were free...its an "airfix kit"

P Thought likes this.
  19. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

DHart, can you show us some of your builds? That would be cool!

20. DHart

T P... have a look through my profile page to find posts that I've made. I have posted a TON of photos of all of my guitars with descriptions of what I've used for pickups and electronics, and necks/bodies.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.