How much whiskey do you drinks?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Flat6Driver, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

By Patrons of the arts, no doubt!

Flat6Driver likes this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't drink alcohol, and haven't for almost twenty two years, but when I drank, I shopped for Jack Daniels with a shopping cart. I'd buy those jugs with a handle on 'em, them little quart bottles didn't last no time, and those fifths, HA.

3. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I drink whiskey when the pub runs out of Guinness.

4. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

For years I was primarily a wine drinker, and thought of wine as a taste to match with whatever was on my plate for dinner.

Sometimes I got a Jim Beam on the rocks (or as a shot). The year that I flew Southwest quite a bit convinced me that I liked Jack Daniels better, but I still didn't drink a lot of bourbon or corn whiskey.

Then one year my late wife went to a meeting in Louisville, and came back with some good bourbon. What a difference. The next year she bought me several good bottles of different styles of bourbon--traditional, all corn, wheat, and a rye heavy bourbon.

I began to appreciate the differences between various styles of bourbon.

My wife has been gone for 3 years next February. I'm dating a woman whose taste in wine is very different from mine. Opening a bottle of wine that I'm going to drink by myself doesn't seem like a good idea.

So these days I try to keep a bottle of good traditional bourbon (often Jim Beam Black--which is less expensive than others of similar quality) and either a rye or a rye heavy bourbon (often Bulleit although I also like Four Roses) in the house.

5. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

Doc Watson asked the bartender for a shot of Old Rabbit.

The bartender said he'd never heard of Old Rabbit, but he had a bottle of Old Crow.

Doc said, "Now, I don't want to fly, I just want to hop around a little."

6. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

These days I'm dry,but two years ago I'd regularly sip my way through a couple of bottles a week.

"Twas Bush for me. I live close to the distillery.

slickoneuk likes this.
  7. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

In a perhaps more direct answer to the OP, my dad said you can tell where someone grew up by what kind of whiskey they like:
    city slickers like Scotch;
    rural folks like bourbon; and
    folks from way out in the boondocks like rye.

I think bourbon and rye whiskeys are associated with rural lifestyle (in the imagination if not in real life), which explains why whiskey, particular bourbons or corn whiskeys keep showing up in country music.

8. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I just moved the contents of my liquor cabinet to SC. I went to the local liquor store and got free empty boxes...filled 12 cases. I can look up from my computer and there are still three bottles of whiskey sitting on a shelf across from me (they're Xmas presents for friends).

However, the size of the collection is due to my lack of drinking. It isn't that I don't drink, I just don't drink a lot. I had one (drink) last month, I may have another this month. People give me liquor as gifts. I made the grave mistake of once telling someone in the family I liked "Gentleman Jack". I'm still working my way thru the multitude of bottles I received from that slip of the tongue...and there's still a half-gallon that has stood unopened for the last 10 yrs. I have problems with cork degradation. I have bottles of rum that would be considered baby boomers.

So, I originally wanted a 'liquor-locker' with a broad variety of liquor in it. Irish, Scots & American whiskies, Tequila, Vodka, Gin, wine, aging beer, brandies, liqueurs, etc., etc. I spent the 30 yrs tasting/selecting and got a fancy cabinet in 2015. It was overfilled within a year by well-meaning friends and family (mostly cheap stuff I would only drink when they came over).

I have wandered all over the drink map...nowadays I tend to drink Rye whisky (Bulliet) and highland Scotch (Glenmorangie). However, for the past 5 or 6 yrs, Miz Diane's work group has been doing the charity thing and buying a single barrel (charity commemorative bottle labels) of either Jack Daniels or Woodford Reserve. Now I have a half-dozen of those on the shelf...which skews the collection.

9. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

All I want is Whiskey twice my age,,, Served by a Woman half my age!;)

eddiewagner likes this.
  10. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I dunno. My uncle lived OUTSIDE Springville, Alabama and he had a collection of hundreds of bottles of scotch... and oil paintings of naked chicks in his man cave (that also had what could be best described as an armory.) He was an interesting dude.. an old linebacker from Auburn who got gifted a business when he graduated college from a fan who liked how he 'knocked the hell out of people'... He knew a lot about Baker Lift Trucks and assumed that all others had high interest in learning about them.

RodeoTex and imwjl like this.
  11. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Maker's 46, Black Bush, and Laphroiag quarter cask. I could forsake all other potent potables, including IPAs, which I really like, for these 3.

CR Black is actually pretty good. I don't understand the hate. CR is the right taste for the price.
    Same with 3 Gingers. Decent Irish whisky for the price.

getbent likes this.
  12. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

This house all alcoholic beverages are answered as not much but often. Whiskey and brandy would be the least of any.

13. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Funny in two ways. We had some Baker lift trucks in our family business. I recall using and tinkering with them.

On the paintings... My grandpa had a shack on the river. He'd take me fishing there. There were old girly product advertising calendars. He'd drink a shot, look at the calendar and tell me I'd understand both some day. Then he'd often fall asleep while we were fishing and I had fun doing all sorts of stuff. He'd take me home and my mom was glad I was being watched - not.

RodeoTex likes this.
  14. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Holic

"Spellcheck, I'm getting sick of your shirt"

Flat6Driver likes this.
  15. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

The association of bourbon with rural culture may be only in the mind, not reality--but I think it explains the references in country songs.

Flat6Driver and getbent like this.
  16. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

I’m a bourbon man. Basil Hayden’s is my favorite.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  17. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

me too.

18. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Meister

I'll sing about it, but unless i want to wake up somewhere strange wondering who's really mad at me, I'll stick to drinking beer...

19. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

A friend of mine used to drink Wild Turkey until he realized it was the reason he broke out in handcuffs.:oops:

Nothing like a good Irish coffee to warm you up. I usually just go for an R&R(Canadian blend) or Jameson on the rocks.

getbent likes this.
  20. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

There's no such thing as a small whiskey.
    -Gentleman Jim Ahrn

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.