How much time to bond with a guitar?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BrettFuzz, Sep 23, 2021.

1. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

I think I have seen a strat with a reverse tilt in my past travels. Whats wit dat? The pickup? Stock? What do you hear differently?

2. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

The Strat is a CS' 69 from the 2019 Fender Custom Shop Road Show. It was built to illustrate what is possible in a Custom Shop guitar. The back slanted bridge pickup tames ice pick and makes the wound strings more twangy. The guitar also has a reverse head stock, heavy relic three color sunburst, and other niceties. What's really amazing about it was that it was the door prize at the last stop on the tour at The Music Zoo in Bethpage, NY. I couldn't believe I won it. There are other ways to tame ice pick. I upgraded my other Strat, an American Standard, with a loaded Ultra Luxe pickguard. Fender claims that the Ultra pickups have a vintage sound, but to my ears they have chime more than twang and more harmonic complexity. It's actually cool having two Stratocasters so different from each other.

3. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

A guitar needs to speak to you, especially unplugged. If it doesn't feel right in your hands, it never will. Especially if you HAVE played other guitars that have that total pizaz. If the guitar is not making grade while plugged in, there is usually a remedy, but unplugged tells you if it is ,(God I hate the word, a "keeper").

What I would do is get calipers and measure the neck of these guitars, if you don't like the feel of the neck, it is usually its dimension. DO you know what 83 & 88 feel ike at the first fret?<<you going to like one profile more thatn the other. Then for kicks, go to the Warmouth website, & look at profiles. Your guitars suck because of A the neck, B the resonace, c the overall feel & tightness; you need a plus on all three and then decide. Is it really speaking to you?

4. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Instantly.

5. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

I now have 4 strats, Stock EJ, Stock 56 custom shop relic less thatn 7 lbs,A Cooder castingwarmothian, with the Arcane Gold COil in the neck, Teisco in the middle & Aniquity in the bridge. THe last is a Warmouth & Cherrywood Lousianna swampwood body with SSL-1's.. THe one thing they all have in common is that they have a strat sound, yet, sound radically different. How many Strats can you have? Well, you start to day dream, and the P-90's & humbuckers walk in. I leave that to a couple of other different guitars I have. Your guitar is very cool and you WON it, WOW! I had your Gretsch a while back;quintessential Gretsch sound and playability, very cool.

6. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

I picked up the electric guitar again around 1996. I was an inexperienced buyer at that time, so I really didn't know what I liked best in the way a guitar played and felt. I have slowly come to realize that I don't like thick necks, long scales, maple fretboards, and the sounds I've gotten out of Strats (perhaps if I'd found the right pickups). The only reasons I like my Tele are for its neck, rosewood fretboard and its Fralin pickups. If I hadn't found those pickups, I might have gotten rid of it a long time ago.

I also couldn't bond with a '96 LP Studio, mainly due to its weight and 490/498 pickups. I traded it for my current Tele, but added the Fralins almost 10 years later.

7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I just use this simple formula to determine the degree of quantum entanglement between me and the guitar...

quantumformula.png

8. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

well, i always like it when i get it. i usually try before buying. i've bought 4 online sight unseen. got lucky only on 2 of them.

if i don't like it nearly as much after the honeymoon or am starting to mess with it too much, then it's time to move on. the honeymoon needs to wear off to make the right call. that low point is a good gauge of how you'll feel about the guitar on a bad day.

the les paul i have took a year or so for the magic to fade, i'm just holding on to it as an investment. i had a taylor once that took me about half a year. same with the jazzmaster i had (i still like jazzmasters, just mine was kind of blah and i was trying to make it into a tele or something).

9. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

If it doesn't happen right away, it ain't happenin'.

- D

10. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

About a week.
    I did bond with my latest purchase in about an hour.
    20210817_112135.jpg

11. Hap Hazzard

Hap Hazzard TDPRI Member

Bad initial set ups probably hide a lot of great guitars from the 1 minute club.

12. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Not at all, I've been playing long enough to see past the rudimentary set up of guitars in most shops.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.