How much time to bond with a guitar?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BrettFuzz, Sep 23, 2021.

1. BrettFuzz

BrettFuzz TDPRI Member

I have these two guitars that I keep playing the same amount of time as my other guitars hoping I'd bond with them but it just seems like it's not happening. I did the usual fret dressing, setup, change pickguard, etc. routine (more because I wanted to do it than because they needed it) but I still feel relieved when I switch to one of my other guitars. And it's not the comfort or the guitar style/type or the sound. There is just no spark, lol.
    I've had them for a few months and I wonder how long I should keep trying. How much time do you give a guitar to bond with?

Alex_C likes this.
  2. Ebidis

Ebidis Friend of Leo's

I'd say if you've had them for a few months and it's not happening, then it's probably not going to.

For me, I pretty much know right away if it's happening or not.

Sometimes it just happens that certain guitars don't have the spark for you.

3. saleake

saleake Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

It took me a year to bond with the Custom Shop Telecaster I bought in 2019. I don’t like rosewood fretboards on Fender guitars, but I wanted the color and pickup combination. I kept at it and now it’s my number one.

4. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

A year in the case with little play = find someone who’ll love it.

5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I'm not kidding,

With guitars, effects, amps, strings - if I don't like the way things sound or feel... ( like string tension, or wrap on acoustic strings; neck shape, body weight on guitars; ease of use of controls/sound of amps/pedals)
    ... right away, within minutes, I move on. Just no patience for a learning curve.

Part of my opinion I guess, comes from the moments when I have instantly bonded with gear ( which I own and love)
    So when you know that situation is possible, you know it can be repeated, and look for it again

I know other folks ( DIY/handy types, NOT me!) can 'hammer' ( figuratively), replace parts, or engineer something to make it better or more suitable for them, which is great, if you know how.
    But that's never been me.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  6. TN Tele

TN Tele Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My wife gave me a beautiful American Deluxe Strat for my birthday 15 years ago. It has spent its life either on the wall or in its case while I played every other guitar I own. If it wasn't for the fact that it came from her, I would have sold it long ago. Since you are not in that position I would say sell them. Either you bond with the instrument or you find another that creates that bond.

arnie5150, Timbresmith1 and BrettFuzz like this.
  7. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Holic

If I don't bond with an instrument instantly, I move on. There are too many choices to settle.

8. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

You can’t make your heart feel what it won’t. Women, guitars, same principle applies. The spark is there or it isn’t.

All the positive elements are enjoyable, but negatives disqualify.

Listen to your gut. It has been telling you to walk away, and you aren’t paying attention. There are a lot of guitars out there that you can love, spend your time with them.

9. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Everyone’s different. Some people need to bond right away or they’ll never feel it, some people let things grow in them.

if you can identify something about these guitars that you like and is unique to them (tone, look, feel, whatever), then keep at it for a while. If there isn’t something, then you’ve likely waited long enough and should move on.

BrettFuzz likes this.
  10. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

It's like getting married different dance same song , "getting to know you " la la lalala la

BrettFuzz and carpenter like this.
  11. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

Instantly
    6F73B6A7-B97B-4691-AAAD-EB866B719B67.jpeg 6F6CEC53-A57B-449C-A7C1-F9D03A42C815.jpeg
    Eight years and counting

There’s nothing wrong with the Gretsch. It requires equalization and is more limited in its range of tones.

12. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

3 chords and I've usually made my decision.

.. I might pretend it took longer, but it didn't.

13. Gardo

Gardo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sometimes bonding is just a mod away.
    I have a Vintage brand thinline that has always been a looker but not quite there as a player. Then I put a set of 11’s on it and fell in love.

14. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

You’ll never love it more than the second you pull it out of the box and put hands & eyes on it: Seems to hold true for me, whether it be lots or a little…

BrettFuzz, carpenter and Frodebro like this.
  15. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Friend of Leo's

37 minutes and 19 seconds

16. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Like others here, I pretty much know if it’s a good fit within a couple minutes of picking it up.

17. Lone_Poor_Boy

Lone_Poor_Boy Tele-Meister

For me, if it is setup well, I know pretty quick. Like within 1 hour. If not setup well, I need to get that done or just return it asap if a setup isn't worth the trouble.

BrettFuzz likes this.
  18. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

First chord , when I get that buzz in the middle of my head. Like when you are tuning a guitar just when its hits the pitch, and it is in tune. Or is that just me. Something else did
    you try lighter strings?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    Si G X and BrettFuzz like this.
  19. Blackguard53

Blackguard53 NEW MEMBER!

I give it a couple of weeks to settle into a good setup and make small changes, play it in a band setting and in multiple venues or rooms to figure out how the guitar needs to be EQd to its purpose. After that, meh.

If it's more than an electronics swap I'm out.

BrettFuzz likes this.
  20. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Sometimes it is within a few days. I've held some for a long time and finally decided it wasn't for me. I admit to having a couple that just look nice but are not enjoyable for me to play but I still have them. I bought a 12 string acoustic once and unloaded it the same day.

BrettFuzz likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.