How much time does it take...

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by VillainSean, Apr 10, 2020.

1. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Meister

Asking the experts here, roughly how much time does do you all think it would take for a Fender CS Masterbuilder to built a nice one off?

I realize FCS & specific Masterbuilders have extended wait times, due to the amount of business they already. I'm sure they are working on several projects at the same time. I'm just trying to get my head around how many hours it would probably take start to finish, planing the wood, routing, finish, making the neck, etc.

Nothing super elaborate, just a touch above stock - let's say something like a nice '60s bound tele thinline, nitro finish, top notch neck & body woods.

Related question, how long for a team-built or say the limited edition models that come out?

2. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I’ve heard anywhere from 8 months to a year, even if you wanted minor things done as you mentioned. If your question is a “don’t have a lot to do right now, sitting around, and thought about this” type question, that’s my best answer. If you really want the CS to build you a guitar, see a local dealer or contact the CS. :)

3. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Meister

Thanks Joe, I think what I'm trying to ask is "how long would it take if they not else going on?" I'm familiar with the wait times, as I've been lucky enough to order a couple of the years.

4. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Ya know, Sean, that's a good question. Wonder if the CS is even conducting business as usual? I'm sure much of the builders have plenty of back orders, but I don't think that would really matter if they're not working.

5. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

I guessing on the less complex builds, there are about 80-100 labor hours. There are a a few weeks of glue/finish curing that has to occur. Think about 2 months for the simpler builds between building, curing and getting back into line for work. That is about 2 months from cutting out the neck and body blanks from the chosen woods to delivery. Longer if there is any special inlay, paint, relic work, and etc.

There are luthiers on the forum who could confirm my guesses or set me straight.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    VillainSean likes this.
  6. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Meister

Thanks, I'm hoping they may see this post and add their expertise.

7. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Tele-Meister

If you contact a dealer they should be able to tell you. If you are willing to accept any masterbuilder then the wait time might be reduced. This assumes that Fender operations are not impacted by the virus: however, it is hard to imagine that they would not be impacted.

As for "how long it takes to build the guitar if they started on your order on the day you order it?" (unlikely scenario). I would guess 30 days or less.

8. 56Tweed

56Tweed TDPRI Member

I think a big part of the equation is how they organize the build slots. There is a lot of starting and stopping and working on things in stages. While I haven't ordered anything custom through the custom shop (i do have CS guitars) I have ordered through other builders and I would tend to agree with what @scooteraz posted.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.