1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How much of your gear do you actually use daily?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Telefan33, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You misspelled "misspelled." :D

schmee, John Backlund and JL_LI like this.
  2. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

What I have now is pretty much what I use at least once a week, the exception is my Deluxe Reverb Reissue and my 800 watt Acoustic image amps. My everyday amp is a tiny Blackstar HT-1 with a bunch of pedals. The Blackstar violates everything that I desired in an amp. It is a little 1 watt combo and only has an 8" speaker. But it meets my condo amplifier needs and even serves as a low volume bass amp.

When I retired I had to downsize, so I got rid of 2/3 of my amplifiers, guitars and basses. Sometimes I miss my depart6ed stuff a bit, but that passes quickly.

3. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Hmmm.... I am in the process of scaling back, way back. But I like making different tones and playing several styles of music, so the scaling back is going to be a complicated process.

Very complicated, fortunately I don't see acquisitions in my future, that helps, to admit to myself further purchases would be silly. I would like two 65RI SR's but they likely will not happen. No problem.

I have eight guitars that get played regularly, much more so when I'm not hanging out somewhere online.

Later folks.

4. TIM5150

TIM5150 TDPRI Member

963B1A5F-7BEB-443C-831B-C035FB33C104.jpeg 2 electrics and 3 amps and a handful of pedals. They get used weekly but not daily. I could easily get rid of at least one amp but I could never decide which one.
    ( I don’t own these Marshall’s anymore. I upgraded. Lol )

97FD910F-E655-4C00-B039-E127D1D772D0.jpeg

5. SLICKFASTER

SLICKFASTER TDPRI Member

B38C8AD5-B7EB-4A4E-AAAF-83DABF6A8D02.jpeg F84DB813-B1DD-4DC7-B43D-BA057CF6F107.jpeg I use most all my gear using most my guitars. I do have amps, guitars n peddles that go un used when I switch up styles of music...
    I got my two favorite styles covered... Metal and Rockabilly
    I’m in a Billy Vibe these days..

DekeDog and TIM5150 like this.
  6. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

Typically just one amp and one guitar for long stretches of time.

I have others to choose from, but I'd rather just keep it simple or I spend more time fiddling with gear than playing.

7. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Yeah, I have stuff that sits at times, but try to rotate them pretty regularly....guitars get more rotation than the amps, have several more guitars than amps... it’s all fun, and nothing goes up for sale til I’m dead...and would rather let my kids squabble over who gets what... heh

8. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I play guitar with friends once a week and bass at church on Sunday with practice on Wednesday. I use my guitar amp only at home and rarely use my bass amp. I play my acoustic occasionally at home. My pedalboard gets constant use. I have six electric guitars and tend to favor whichever one I modded or built last. So the majority get little action. My PRS and Les Paul have not been out of their cases in a while. My tele has been my main workhorse for quite a while, though my latest build (a SG-type ratcaster with P90s) is my new favorite. Until the next build is done.

9. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Almost exclusively these two telecasters, white in standard tuning, butterscotch in an open tuning, mostly through my 60 watt, Boss acoustic singer amp, yes, that's right, telecasters into an acoustic amplifier. Works fine for the kind of music and playing that I do.

I use the two telecasters, the Boss amp, and the mic, every weekday for between three and four hours, and between one and three hours on Saturdays if it's possible.

These four things work very well for me, and I tend to stick with what I think 'works, and what I'm used to.

IMG_20200707_115131953.jpg

IMG_20201027_235121804.jpg

Shure Beta 58A mic...
    IMG_20201027_235011265_MP.jpg

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

OK I admit I don't know how many guitars, how many amps or how many pedals I have.
    Dozens of each I guess.

Every day I play the same partscaster through the same board into the same amp.
    In a year I'll play 5-7 guitars, 4-5 amps, maybe 20-30 pedals, and 5-6 speakers.

But I know what I like and play the gear with my free time rather than running a CL music store.
    Could make some money if I bothered to try selling!
    But why bother?

I do hope to assemble yet another guitar that bumps my #1 aside, but it's a high enough bar that it's hard to top.
    I don't want different guitars that do different things.
    I want to have no guitar at all in my hands when playing music, the guitar needs to disappear and have no individuality aside from sending a clear honest version of what I'm doing, to the amp.

So really, lots of guitars is just hoarding.
    My only excuse is they are my spare parts supply, and I have PTSD from pawning so damn many guitars for drugs and not getting them back. I guess hoarding generally has a PTSD component?

Plus I just love the danm things!
    Guitars make me happy!

P Thought and TG like this.
  11. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

I only have 2 amps, which I play in stereo, and I rotate through all my guitars on a regular basis(7 in total, 5 electric and 2 acoustic, a 6 and a 12).

12. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

I don't really play anything every day. Sometimes I go 3 - 4 days without picking up anything.

Today, however, it so happens that I played my bass (nameless 80's P-bass clone) for an hour. Thumpety-thump-thump...

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

With all your cool modern guitar inventions you still prefer antiques for playing?
    Ultra retro at heart eh?

John Backlund likes this.
  14. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

It's a strange thing, but the guitars that I designed are fun to look at, and of course I'm rather proud of them, but they actually don't suit me in a functional sense, or my playing style. I pick one up on occasion and plug it into an amp, noodle around on it for a couple of minutes, then go back to my telecasters.

I feel that I can get the best, cleanest, sound from my teles than anything else I have, but I will admit that I have a very limited experience with other popular guitars, such as a Les Paul, SG, real Fender Strat, 335's, etc. I've never played any of those guitars, but maybe I'd like them if I did. Again, I just tend to not wander far from what I'm used to.

telemnemonics likes this.
  15. TheOtherNeill

TheOtherNeill Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Yep. That's my one amp (though I can't play it from 10am to midnight), with a boost.

16. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

Everyday:- Marshall origin 20 head thru Laney cub 2 x 12 cab, attenuator, fender pelt fuzz, fender marine layer reverb. I then alternate guitars every couple of days, my Blues junior and laney cub head have electric put through them every couple of weeks, so other than odds and ends of pedals it all gets used regularly

17. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

I play in five bands, use two rehearsals studios in different towns, one band is acoustic... I use everything at least twice a week

telemnemonics likes this.
  18. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Years back when I was gigging we also were building a house and raising a kid.
    If it wasn't used....and economically useful...I didn't have it.

Now I've found myself retired and able to have a guitar hanging on the wall 'just because'....so I have a dozen. I've also got a Roland JC22 beside the sofa here so I often choose a guitar and sit here noodling.
    I try to use them all at least occasionally, but I tend to have favourites I use more often and daily. If I find I don't use something very much at all...and it doesn't make me happy just being there (like my Hello Kitty strat)....I'll consider selling or trading it on.

Right now the only thing I'm wondering about is the Fender Champion40 modelling amp in the back room I've not even seen for several months....but it's not causing any harm back there, and it might come in useful someday.

19. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

I daily use my two Telecasters and my Strat with my new TMDR.

Every evening play one or two hours, but I focuse more on comparing these guitars than learning new songs and styles.

When I only had one good guitar I was much more creative

20. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

I play my Doc Fisher Tele direct to my Princeton every day. Only use my DRRI and pedals at gigs. Everything else sits, loved but untouched.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.