1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How much of your gear do you actually use daily?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Telefan33, Oct 27, 2020.

1. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Man, that's a Doozie!

brookdalebill likes this.
  2. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

I have 10 electric guitars, one electric bass, one acoustic guitar, and 2 amps here in the house. One electric - my Rick Kelly T-style - gets played almost daily, usually unplugged. Some of the electrics get almost no attention, but they all have enough sentimental value that I can't part with them.

I make up for that one night a week - I'm blessed to be in a basement classic rock band with two buddies, and once a week I get to spend several quality hours with them at the drummer's house. My main amp and pedalboard lives there.

3. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

I switch out my three Fender electrics every week or so. Rarely play my bass or acoustic. Have my ukulele out now and play my mandolin about twice a month.

My Henriksen amp is way overkill for my bedroom and I should probably switch back to my Yamaha THR10C that has been in the closet the last year. I also have a small pedalboard with great pedals that I don’t use.

I had my Froggy Bottom acoustic on sale briefly on Reverb until my wife strongly objected. I do not deserve that guitar.

4. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

A lot of what I own is used contextually. I create with gear setups that will support the style that I am desirous of working with at any given time, I won't be using my feedback pedal when playing light ambient blues slide guitar pieces.... just yet. I don't sell anything , I may give it away, but sales are not in my list of skills or interest.

Tommy Biggs and aadvark like this.
  5. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

One guitar, pedalboard and amp at each of the two practice spaces, so only on weekends. Three guitars (plus two acoustics), a pedalboard and amp at home pretty much daily.

6. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I use one amp to place my beer... (no, I don't)

7. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have two guitars that get played almost every day, the rest are rotated in and out depending on the mood I'm in.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  8. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Holic

I have 40-some guitars (electric and acoustic) that are my keepers. About 25 of them are hanging on the walls of my studio. The rest are in cases. Then I have a dozen or so more in a storage room that are either in some stage of a project that I may or may not ever get to, or are earmarked to give away to someone who needs a guitar. I have 8 or 9 amps... all smallish. Only one I use regularly, the Super Champ X2. A bunch of pedals of which I currently have 3 hooked up. I rotate through my guitars, although there are a handful that get the most play. I usually have one acoustic and one electric on stands that I'm currently using, and switch them out every 2-3 days, or whenever I feel like it.

mfguitar likes this.
  9. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

A bit sad but I have several really nice guitars and a couple of custom amps that almost never get used. I only use my gig guitars and amp for gigs but I really have nothing that I feel like selling. I guess my stuff is not really hurting anything but I really should thin things out.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  10. green_henry

green_henry Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

On a daily basis, I play one guitar through one pedal through one amp. I will rotate the guitar every few weeks. I should practice with my pedal board, but I don't really have the room for it or the energy to break it down every day. Works for me.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  11. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

My amps and pedals are rigged in stereo, one set in living room, one in spare bedroom. Those get used at least few times a week. I have 6 guitars. Out of those, two get used probably 80% of the time, three more 15, one 5. They're all nice to have though. I enjoy whatever one i pick up

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  12. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Holic

Typical day I use zero gears.

aging_rocker likes this.
  13. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

I play them all (about 10) for a few days at a time---different guitars require different approaches and have their strengths and weaknesses. One day I might play a 40s Epi archtop with flats, the next day a Tele with .010s. I get calls to do all that depending on what the gig is.

aadvark likes this.
  14. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

6 Electrics (all of which I just had to have)
    2 Acoustics (sacrificed hard to get them, because I just had to have them)
    3 Cigar Boxes (built them for fun)
    8 Amplifiers

Daily usage = 1 acoustic
    3-4 times per week = 2 electrics that rotate in preference
    Amplifiers = Use one of 2 about 90% of the time

Pretty sad really

15. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

As my friend was taking all my equipment to store for me as I prepared for almost certain evacuation due to the fires I was thinking the exact same thing. I told my self “Self, you don’t play the Am STD Strat or the LP studio. Why do you still have them?”. I figure they’re worth $500 apiece at best. If I get through this fire, they’re gone.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  16. TheOtherNeill

TheOtherNeill TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I own one amp, one pedal, three electrics, and an acoustic. I play the electrics (semi-hollow in open E for slide, one of the T-styles for everything else) with the pedal and amp pretty much every day. I use the acoustic a couple of times a week.

17. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i use my tonemaster deluxe pretty much every single day, from about 10 in the morning til 12 at night. it sounds just fine to me and i never worry for one second that i'm wasting my tubes.

18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I went through a purge a few years ago and have settled into this:

4 electrics, 3 acoustics, a bass, 3 guitar amps, 1 bass amp, 1 busking amp and one pedalboard. Fairly minimal modest recording stuff, but enough to do almost anything I need or want.

I rotate at least three guitars daily. Typically focus on one amp a week depending on the projects I'm working on. During this weird year, the pedalboard has been rarely used.

The strat could easily be cut, but ya never know and it has my all time favorite neck. One pedal is boxed and ready to sell for about two years now. No GAS, no gear needs and far too many projects to work on with what I already have.

Now, about my singing practices ...:oops:

19. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

8BB57805-C3A8-419A-87E9-C7989AFD42CC.jpeg My Simon and Patrick dred is always nearby. I keep one electric out at a time. My FCS ‘69 Stratocaster is out now. It gets more use then my other four combined. I’ve had one amp out, a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25, since I got it. A Fender Super Champ XD went down the basement never to be seen again. I got a BOSS EQ-200 in April. It’s been on top of my amp in constant use since I got it. I know I’ve posted this pic before. I apologize to any who find it tedious.

P Thought and green_henry like this.
  20. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Just my flattop.

Stopped gigging, jamming, or hanging with friends when the virus came along. So there's no reason to plug in.

Which leaves acoustic instruments. So usually, I jump around from flattop to squareneck reso to roundneck reso to mando.

But for the past couple of months, I've been focusing on memorizing songs. That means flattop. So I put the other instruments in their cases. The plan is to let them out November 1. Unless I decide not to.

cb with guit.png

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.