How much more money would you have...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, Jul 30, 2018.

1. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

I bought Apple stock at $3.50 a share and Google the day it went public at $103. Also Electronic Arts and Netgear at about 20-30% of their present share price. Problem is I didn’t buy that much. But the internet has made me some good money.

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Ask Zuckerberg how his stock is doing. I think he lost 15 *billion* in one day.

3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I prefer to touch things and see if they fit or look ok before I buy. Still. I did find an 8 reale from 1500s I could not find local. I’m old fashioned. So to the operator not much yet. But most real stores are going away so that will change.

4. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

Don't know. Without internet, I wouldn't have read the question and couldn't have answered the question. ;)

Djentleman Dan and getbent like this.
  5. smsuryan

smsuryan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think I have saved money from the internet. Ebay and amazon and all the shopping sites leveled the playing field, so if I want a certain guitar
    I can price shop and get an average. Before the pawn shop had 200 dollar guitars for 700 and someone gets scammed. I'm sure it still happens somewhere, but at least its a deterrent. HOWEVER, the tdpri made me want that esquire, that partscaster, that pickup, that amp, etc....So it probably evens itself out. Atleast ill tell myself that so ill feel better...

Piggy Stu likes this.
  6. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Because of my crazy guitar buying and selling the internet actually MAKES money for me. I rarely buy anything online except school books for my daughter. I comparison shop a lot and then buy in the store usually. I buy a lot off CL and turn it right around again on CL or Facebook Marketplace.

7. Djentleman Dan

Djentleman Dan Tele-Holic

My first day here and already found a post I absolutely LOVE.

8. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Well, considering I’m-person attendance would require flying to Scotland from New Jersey, $150 might be a leeeeetle bit of an under-estimate... ;) :D

Piggy Stu likes this.
  9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Computers as recreation and online shopping are the beginning of the end of the human race.

Amazon's wiping out most smaller retailers while making humanity believe convenience is a value and an ideal; and our newfound love of sitting, is a disease that is killing many of us and making most of us a little sicker every day.

For a while it seemed like people were unhappy with the loss of service oriented businesses as Amazon wiped out bookstores (remember that? MIB memory wipe?) and moved on to other retailers, while mom & pop brick & mortar became a thing of the past.
    There was a sense that the places that were closing down at epidemic rates were valuable as quality of life resources, and connections in communities.

Now that communities have adapted to the new world order, nobody seems to remember or care what was lost and replaced with retail surveillance devices in every home.
    During this time it seems like children committing mass murder became commonplace.
    These are the generations of children raised on computers rather than in communities.

Ten years ago the street in front of my house was swarmed with kids old enough to choose their activity on their way to the beach.
    Now those kids are much fewer, and are more likely fiending on their mobile devices, like little crackheads, crouching over the pipe, oblivious to the world around them.

Even as I personally view Amazon as a blight and Alexa as an offensive presence in a home, I can no longer imagine living without a mobile phone and a computer.

soulgeezer likes this.
  10. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Yes. I wanted to avoid any shame that would be felt by completely and utterly gutting and destroying your initial proposal. But, hey, you know... you can lead a donkey to water, but you can't necessarily take him to Tijuana.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D[​IMG][​IMG]

soulgeezer likes this.
  11. telemnemonics

I'm reading posts where folks presume that after an internet search they are able to buy stuff for the best price.

I gotta say, anyone who believes that, needs to get out more.
    You drank the kool aid!

There is almost nothing I have to pay as much for as the best internet price when I shop, and Amazon is not even the best prices on the internet, so "free shipping" is paid for in the markup!

Over the decades I've been surprised by various things, but today's online shopping mall (AKA the internet) that shoppers pay a fee to get access to and then pay another fee to get free shipping, while inviting surveillance bots into their homes to set the shopper up for surprisingly blissful retail happiness they can't imagine how they ever lived without...

The products get worse and worse so we buy ore and more and then bury the import junk in landfills. Now China no longer buys our recycling back, we're in an epidemic just this year- in 2018, we don't know what to do with all the chinese garbage we're throwing away and can't ship back to where it came from.

Medical/ behavioral science is picking up on bits and pieces of internet/ device addiction and related disability/ debility, but IMO there is an overall tragic soul sale and we're the product being sold.
    The true results might take a generation or two to become clear, yet look at what we glibly accept already.
    How will we even notice what we've lost?

Stockholm syndrome- feeling no pain, and it's all so convenient!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    soulgeezer likes this.
  12. telemnemonics

I'm trying to think of things the internet brought me that I didn't have before it showed up.

We have lots of self help videos teaching us to do stuff like fix our cars and guitars, but I got that same stuff from books and actual people decades ago.
    In fact, there used to be a thing called apprenticeship, and many who knew how to do stuff liked to share it. But to find them you had to knock on doors.
    And to know they existed you had to have an insatiable curiosity, which I suppose the internet doesn't really require because it's so convenient.
    You can learn the basics of many things without having to actually care or be passionate about them. Then you can be a teacher on the internet!

We have access to all sorts of world musics, but I can't say I've found anything music on the internet made before the internet that I wasn't able to find before by once again, enforcing my insatiable curiosity.
    I'd actually note that my record collection I built up of world music on Folkways/ Everest (and foreign/ out of print/ etc) had more in it than what I can now find on the interent when searching for recordings I no longer have.
    Plus live music where I managed to talk with many of the still surviving artists who created stuff like American Jazz.
    So to my view, the world of the internet is far smaller than the world of music.
    Of course there is post internet music I can only find on the internet, because I'm not as actively curious now that I'm addicted to the internet, which serves as a sort of surrogate life, easing the insatiable curiosity that used to drive me.
    My fault of course.

We have access to all sorts of cool used stuff for sale on the internet, plus info about the stuff to help figure out if it's any good.
    But before the internet I bought and found all sorts of cool stuff, and even became a NYC flea market dealer in old cool stuff, setting up my booth Sat & Sun at around 6am near the flower district, then taking turns with my partner buying off the dealers who cleaned out houses and sold for bottom dollar.
    I had buyers who wanted 150yo cameras and photography, buyers who wanted early radio and medical electronics, buyers who wanted morbid stuff etc etc.
    These buyers generally invited me into their homes to look at their collections so I'd better know what to buy for them in my picking (a picker is a buyer who has knowledge of what old stuff is desirable and how much it's "worth"). These collectors knew stuff, lots of stuff, and loved to share that stuff with other enthusiasts.
    Some of the dealers I sold to are now of course dead and gone. As ebay replaced much person to person selling, much of the knowledge of the old dealers was lost, because they stopped disseminating in apprentice relationships.

Now of course I sometimes ran into stuff I knew nothing about but got a feeling from, in which case I'd walk down to one of the huge bookstores and look stuff up.
    Sadly though, Amazon wiped most of them off the map.
    Books are great though, and along with the new bookstores there were the stupendous used bookstores.
    Once again, those are gone now due to the internet, and while google does a fair job of suggesting related stuff I might be interested in, I'm not feeling more enriched than I did when I went to people and bookstores for my learnin'.
    One buyer couple I became friends with had a lower East side shop with skeletons and coffins etc. They knew a lot of stuff about a lot of stuff, and had a hand of a mummy from a Victorian era mummy dismemberment party.
    One is generally not suppose to touch such stuff, but I was allowed to pick it up and handle it. Surprisingly tiny, and perfect. Not having that experience on the internet!

Have we learned more about stuff since the internet and ebay made everybody an expert? To my view there are far far more experts now and they collectively know far less, but make more convincing claims.
    So, more info but lower quality info.

One thing about learning stuff on the internet is we get these repeated half truths that replace actual truths. And the half truths are mixed in with complete falsehoods.
    Not that the dusty old timers and eager students from the pre internet era didn't have misinformation, but on the internet it seems like the best sounding story is as credible (or more so) as/ than the most accurate info, because much info on antiquities includes some uncertainty.
    Bull**** sells on the internet.

Just look at all the medical advice on the internet and say three times fast:
    "The internet is a great source of accurate medical info!".

While this may be the information age, it is also the misinformation age.

We can credit the internet for the mass spread of misinformation!

While caveat emptor reminds us to look closely at what we buy into, to my observation there is a sort of drunken stupor to the ingestion of info in the fast & cheap online experience. We can see this pretty clearly in the many heated discussions about wood, finishes, tone caps etc.
    Remarkable how deeply indoctrinated into individual internet based expertise we collectively become.
    Convenient expeditious indoctrination.

I would sidestep to note that the overthrowing of a dictator by internet empowerment may be a fine example of a benefit, but we have also seen bigotry and hatred spread in even greater measure, so I'm not sure it's an overall win.
    Along with the spread of hatred and bigotry came the spread of detailed methods for acting on bigotry.

There is also the small isolated yet big to those individuals trend of paranoia sufferers fanning the collective flames of mental illness by posting youtubes and buying into the repeated internet info confirming that UPS/ FedEx and the USPS are following us and gathering surveillance info to harm us. These sick individuals get sicker rather than getting help.

One thing I guess I've gotten from the internet is how widespread mental illness really is.
    But it seems that the growth of available info (and misinformation) on mental illness has run parallel with an alarming overall increase of mental illness.
    And/ or possibly an increasing percentage of untreated mental illness.
    And additionally, internet discussions of psych meds primarily by those who are having bad experiences with starting or stopping them, have pushed many patients away from treatment by mass fearmongering. The patients who have better experiences and resume reasonably normal lives are far less likely to post "INFORMATION ABOUT PSYCH TREATMENT" on the internet.
    Here it seems like great harm is being done on/ by the internet.
    For evidence we only need read internet discussions of mental illness, substance abuse and suicide. Some good may come there but the trend is not upward enlightenment.

Looking for help with substance abuse problems on the internet?
    Tons of info disseminated by for profit treatment businesses that will get you hooked on their drugs so you can "get off drugs".
    Info about getting off drugs by actually getting off drugs is remarkably lacking on the internet.
    Why?
    Because it is unprofitable and inconvenient.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.