HOW much humidity is O.K.???

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by flag72, Jan 21, 2010.

1. flag72

flag72 Tele-Afflicted

Hi Guy's
    I was wondering with out going berzerk over it,what is a good range for humidity for our guitar.I dont have a specific room for them but what is o.k.
    40% 50% 60%:?:
    again thank you
    Daniel

2. 8painting

8painting TDPRI Member

50% is what I keep mine at. Pretty sure, around that number is fine, give or take a few numbers.

3. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

For a solid bodied guitar like a Tele, it really doesn't matter. I mean you might get some "fret sprout" if it quickly gets really dry (below say 30%) but otherwise you'll be fine.

Even acoustics built from laminated woods are unlikely to have problems, but certainly acoustics made from solid woods should be treated carefully and if the RH gets below about 35% you should either humidify the room, or keep the guitars in their cases with case humidifier like a Dampit.

4. flag72

flag72 Tele-Afflicted

Thank you
    Daniel

5. jdm61

jdm61 Tele-Holic

Humidity is not an issue down here in Florida.;) But when I went there back in the 90's, Charlie's Guitars in Dallas had what was essentially a walk in humidor like you would see in a big cigar store for their expensive acoustics. I remember an employer being in the room retuning the latest shipment of Martins that had been sitting in there for a few days. Living in Canada, you biggest problem may be in winter time if you have forced air heating.

6. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Do those fish shaped guitars begin to suffer when the humidity goes below 100% ?

7. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes, dry is much worse than humid.

8. brokenjoe

brokenjoe Friend of Leo's

Between 40 and 60 is what I shoot for. Never had a problem with a solid body, but I don't want to split the top on my Martin.

I've got two humidifiers in my apt., and right now the level is at 44.

9. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

My "guitar room" is at about 36% right now. My 16 year old Martin is still out on a stand but my newer Guild 12 string is away in its case with a humidifier. I'm watching carefully and if it gets any colder and drier, the Martin will go away too.

10. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Before I paid a lot of attention to humidity, I had several small finish/wood cracks develop in the neck of one of my MIA strats over the winter. I now keep my music room @ 45%. Since refinishing the cracks and maintaining that humidity there has been no reoccurrence..........and no fret sprouts.

11. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

All I have is a little table top humidifier but it has automatic control..The humidity ranges between 38% and 50% depending on how much the furnace runs..Temp is 69 to 71..My Taylor has never been back in the case since I brought it home,,6 years ago..No problems..

12. Stylemaster

Stylemaster Tele-Afflicted

The finish on the spruce top of my '72 D-28 started to check for no apparent reason. I always leave it in the case (a Gibson acoustic case from the same era). The only thing I can think of is that the basement where I work, and where my guitars are stored in a closet, gets dry in the winter because the furnace is in the room next door. Even though it's an underground basement it gets dry. I finally got a humidifier - a cheap one from Target that says on the box for a "medium" sized room. I used to use that long green snake-like thing, a Dampit, in the sound hole of my acoustics. Guess I should still use them. For some reason years back I got to thinking they were no good. Guess I was wrong.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.