How much gear do you own mainly because you *just like the idea* of owning it

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Jun 20, 2019.

1. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

all of it.

2. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nun. My 12-string acoustic almost qualifies, though.

3. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

True ! I can't agree more... Add to this that I can (and had) built some of them... :confused:

-tbln

4. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

It's an interesting question.

I tend to collect a lot of gear that I really fancy owning, but then later sell to make room for more.
    Mainly guitars.

I'm getting to an age though where I can evaluate all my guitars and amps and pedals, and admit to myself that I really don't need anything more than what I have.

Teles?
    Yep, I got 'em.

And one really fabulous Fender Stratocaster.

A proper Gibson SG and a Gibson Les Paul?
    Yes.
    With P90's.

Acoustics out the wazzoo, some elderly sentimental favorite guitars, and one really nice old (1971 vintage) Kent Les Paul copy.
    Semi-hollow jazz box, Ibanez RG, fretted bass, fretless bass, cigar box guitar, ukulele, okay, I have all the bases covered.

But lately I have been craving a sparkly silver brand-new Gibson Firebird LE with the single mini humbucker.

Do I need it?
    Heck no.
    I generally only carry three electrics and two acoustics to any one gig.

But my mind tells me I have to have it.

I'm about to turn 60 next month, and maybe it's time that I admit that I want that Firebird because I like the idea of finally owning one, not because I need it.

:(

Gibson LE Firebird 1.PNG

gitold and Jimmy Owen like this.
  5. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

never had one, always wanted one, even still (maybe even more so) after that man in Oregon (I believe Oregon) resurrected the Norton Commando moniker. I have a thing for the P-Shooters. Stopped riding on 2006 after another bad spill on my SV650

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Thank you sir, I feel the same about you folks who have made my life better for knowing you through the forum.

7. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

I'm like that with CD's, books & DVD's but NOT music gear.
    Try them out, use them or give them to some of the poorer members of this forum!!!

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I certainly will, at some point in time.
    I do wish that I had nothing better to do with all my time than try out pedals.

Wait, on second thought, that sounds like a horrible existence...

9. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

I'm gig driven. If I need it to gig with I might buy it. I really didn't need my Telecaster. My chorus pedal broke after 29 years so I bought another one.

10. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

Two guitars, oddly enough the two Epiphones that I own. I have an Epiphone LP Jr. that I rarely play, but as a fan of 70s punk, I like having it. I have an Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor at my office that I rarely play, but I like having a guitar at my office and its a classy looking guitar.

All the others get played or they get sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Had a good clear out a year back. Though strictly I could get by with one guitar and maybe a spare, all I now have is guitars that I use or have sentimental value. One amp, one PA set up, one drum kit. I think I did well!

12. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Meister

When I was a kid I pined over the gear I could not afford. "Someday" finally came and in my autumn years I do not plan to want for anything. While I don't have everything, I do enjoy having what I have obtained and justify it by not owning an expensive sports car or a boat or having a mistress. Gear makes me happy.
    That being said I should maybe put a dozen or so overdrives on Reverb.

13. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

If David Gilmour can sell his gear and get by, I think I can too.
    I've gone from 15-17 guitars to 8 and that will be smaller soon.
    Same with pedals.

Most of the guitars I owned it was because I just wanted a particular model, color or vibe. I bought a Rik 12 String because I wanted that jingle jangle. After the newness wore off and I went through my Beatles, Tom Petty 12 string infatuation, I sold it. Same with a Pro-Jet. I just had to a Fiesta Red Tele so I got one. I've really loved some of the guitars I have sold like an American Deluxe Thinline Tele, 62 Custom AVRI, 64 AV, 8502 Tele and a Les Paul R8 but I can't say I miss them. I miss looking at them.:)
    I'm having more fun with less guitars.
    Eventually I'll be down to 3 or 4 guitars and be content.

14. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

I listed a few Gtrs that haven’t seen much play recently and I only got offers from kids wanting to swap a suhr strat or low ballers. I figured I’d rather not bother dealing with idiots.
    On a side note, a friend showed me his new Mercedes Benz sports model that he rarely drives as it’s too uncomfortable. I realised that even though I may have excess musical equipment, I do use it, it has all made me money from gigging and financial cost/loss is minimal compared to other “Bloke” hobbies.

15. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

89C1A184-1783-44DC-98A8-0A64F529859C.jpeg
    I’ve been jonesing for this exact same guitar but I already own a reverse and non reverse Firebird so I definitely don’t need it. Then again it would complete my Firebird family.

16. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My wife can't understand this simple concept. (maybe you could call her) That said I have 1966 Bandmaster head and 2x12 cabinet in basement that haven't been used in quite some time.

17. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Probably about 75% of it- and I really should thin it out. The other 25% is really all I need to keep me satisfied in tone and playability.

18. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm a shoe junky, as much as a gear junky! I have or used to have an affinity for Hoka One One shoes, till they sold out to another company. They have never been the same since, but I still find NOS on ebay every once in a while. Gear on the other hand, I feel like Blowtorch, kind of embarrassed! My playing days changed drastically after my motorcycle wreck, but still a gear hound???

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.