How much gear do you own mainly because you *just like the idea* of owning it

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Les H

Les H Tele-Meister

I personally don't enjoy having gear around I don't necessarily use or have moved on from the sound they most notably produce. Especially when I see it stacked up in my "safe" limited space.

On the other hand I don't want to give it away. There is some stuff I have tried to sell and just got beat up over the price that I just decided to keep it. I've also had some attempted scams as well and that's frustrating. Sometimes I think I'll just take it in the shorts on a trade in at GC but that means I'll just have another item to take it's place.

hotpot likes this.
  2. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It sorta snuck up on me

Lochry likes this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I can certainly relate to sounds I've moved away from, but I eventually seem to move back at least temporarily toward sounds i used to like, so it makes little sense to sell gear that makes old favorite sounds and then have to buy it again later.

Maybe I just get bored too...

Les H likes this.
  4. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

5. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

I'm purposely on the hunt for gear all the time build up my collection.

I'm buying up as many guitars, basses, and amps that I can find for steals at pawnshops and CL.

I'll buy gear for a couple of years, and then I'll purge gear that doesn't quite hold it's own in the collection.

I'll use the proceeds to fund my next batch of gear.

I hope to have an all star collection of gear by the time I retire.

All my gear is going to be passed on to my guitar playing son, so when it goes to him, he can decide what he wants to keep and what he wants to sell or give away.

6. Kid Telecaster

Kid Telecaster TDPRI Member

I have a Roadworn Telecaster that I confess to buying not because I needed it (and I dont play it much) so I have to confess I bought it because to me it's a replica of the first guitars from Leo, I guess that equates to buying it for no other reason other than so I could own it.
    I already had my American Special and Squier CV tellys and use them regularly so they are in my bag of stuff I bought for a purpose.

7. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Holic

When I first started playing in 1960, I wanted a Jazzmaster but had to settle for much less; I played "lead" guitar in a surf /"50's band 'cause I had reverb. I switched to bass in 1963 and got a Jazz Bass and pretty much gave up on guitar. I bought a J Mascis Jazzmaster a couple of years back, never really play it; looks great on display, I keep it polished,
    it's pristine and has a Fender case. It's the color I like but no need for it; may decide to sell as I'm getting to the point I only need my bass(s) and an amp. Otherwise I've cleared out a lot of stuff, Pink Paisley and Blue flower SCPB's, 3 Kustom Tuck & Roll amps. All my equipment can now fit in the trunk of my Volt.

8. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

That's impressive. At least it's a habit that won't kill you.

9. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister

Way too much)

10. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

Most of my vintage amps, I can't bring myself to sell them since I don't know if/when I'll come across one again. Even though I rarely plug them in, I like the idea of owning these amps that are older than I am and they somehow seem irreplaceable in a way modern gear isn't.

A couple of my amp builds, because the lack of a name brand means I couldn't get what they sound like they are worth. Most fall into the category of "too good to let go" anyway though.

Quite a few guitars, several I would sell but they are Epiphones and others that just aren't worth enough to justify the effort. I've got a few 1960s Japanese "bizarre guitars" from when I went though a phase of being interested in those a few years ago and I should probably get rid of them, but they fall into the category of being both old and not worth much so its easier to let them hang on the wall than sell them.

The only thing I don't have a problem selling off is pedals. Almost all the pedals I own are home builds and they are so cheap to build that I can sell them for cost or a bit more without much problem, so when I get bored I can always turn them into money to buy parts to build more and fuel the cycle anew...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  11. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A lot! And I don't regret any of it; well maybe the Liquid that I never bonded with.

12. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

We gotta consume it all before the kids grow up...

Be a boomer!

13. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Valves can last a very long time. When you play for 10~12 hours per week, and rotate through a number of amplifiers, each amplifiers valve set will last until we approach the heat death of the universe.
    Why then do I have a box of valves. Not a small box either, and nor is this not small box not nearly full of valves. Some old, some very old, some new, some NOS, some Russian, some American, some European, some Japanese, quite a few Chinese ( pulls ).

I could revalve each amplifier two or three times and still have spares. Grubbing through the box of glass, I found some I bought in error. I meant to buy a(nother) batch of NOS 6p14p, but bought a set of 6p1p instead. Cursed be stupid O'clock Ebay browsing, or is it serendipity?.

Plans are afoot for a low powered Hi-Fi amp based on the 6p1p with a 6n2p-EV pre-amp stage. I bought 6n2p valves when I meant to buy backup 6n1p valves for a small amp that'll probably never burn out the one fitted. Again, cursed be Ebay browsing during the time of bat flights. The transformers and a chassis are on order, as are some rectifier valves. Note 'some'. Got to have spares.

I wonder if I could cascade a 6j1 into the pentode stage of a 6fp1, then drive a 6n6p with the triode stage for an oddball tiddler?. A pentode, a gain control, a pentode, a master volume, a triode as a cathodyne, a dual triode in push-pull. Maybe use a spare rectifier from the above in place of a bridge?. See where it leads?. Oh, I'd need some more heptode and noval sockets too.

Sometimes, a love for glass leads to adventures. Just owning because I like the idea of owning has lead to some fun ways to pass the time. Valves can be dirt cheap. It's the transformers that cost.

Am I alone on this?

Asmith and Sean Mac like this.
  14. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Its like reference material for me. I've got vintage stuff, and I mean vintage, as in stuff from the 1800's, pre-war, 1960's etc., to demystify what those folks were dealing with, and how they "did it". Not just gear either. I also collect books and other things from the past, to reveal what those generations were really thinking. Like you say, much of this stuff lies dormant, with occasional use to confirm/deny things. I do feel regretful that its not being fully utilized. But, I have sold a few things off, and intend to sell a bunch more to deserving owners, now that I've cataloged some knowledge of what I needed. I definitely believe stuff should be used and cared for - but there's a place for museum pieces, unmolested and original. Without unmodified pieces, we'd have no proof of what something actually was.

15. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

The one thing I've always invested in is my guitar stuff, I still have a guitars from my twenties.

In he last 10 years I've got more disposable income so went down the customshop/strymon/boutique amp road. Its been amazing to have so much gear and really really great gear too.

As I approach my mid 50's I know its time to downsize. I'm down from 32 guitars to 18 in the last 3 years and hope to hit 7 eventually.

I could play completely different pedal boards for a week but have come to realize I'm still only making the 3 basic tones I did in the 80's just much better versions of them :)

I consider myself to be super lucky to have had this ongoing experience in my life but ultimately its now time to pass things along for costs that are a fraction of how I value them.

16. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

I've just gone through something similar! I had fourteen guitars,basses and for some reason just couldn't justify owning them, I felt guilty having so many (if that makes any sense!) I got ridiculous low offers on ebay to the point where I took some of the guitars off & just donated them to a music school in town.

I sold four guitars for OK...ish prices but as I've only had a buyers account they're withholding my money for 21 days because I'm a new seller!!! :confused: I've had an active ebay account for around ten years, I think it's the first & last time I sell on ebay, It wasn't a particular pleasant experience regards to the umpteen tyre kicker emails and the people who cant read regards (collection only/No swaps).:rolleyes:

17. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Pretty much all of it.

18. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Same here , I have much , much more than I really need

19. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Tele-Afflicted

Up until a month ago, I felt that way about my 12-string - then I had a decent set-up done on it.

D.H.

bcorig likes this.
  20. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Probably only my Quad Reverb fits that description. I certainly do not NEED a Quad Reverb and it's super impractical but still, I must have it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.