1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How Much for 72 Les Paul, Beat Up?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by zimbo, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Chevalier

Chevalier TDPRI Member

Tricky one this... I think this might well be '71 because of the Les Paul script positioning and retaining wire on the bridge screws... although a genuine '71 would have nylon saddles... Of course, the pot dates would confirm... mind you, with pickup change and mini toggle switch added, the original pots may have gone. Shame whosoever put the new humbuckers in didn't have the wit to do it properly, leaving the gap is just shoddy. Would like to see the guitar in a daylight pic... some of the Deluxe sunbursting could be a bit 'tomato' red... then again, Scott Gorham made those Deluxes cool... 2.5K for a modded workhorse / players Pete Townshend / Thin Lizzy era Deluxe? Someone will snap it up.

StrangerNY likes this.
  2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Imho, the big ‘draw’ of a Deluxe of that era is the mini humbucker. That draw is due to Pete Townshend’s use of them. The modification to regular humbuckers. With that in mind, this modification greatly changes the guitar’s value....not its usefulness but its value in the market. Whatever the market will bear, though.....

3. Despres

Despres Tele-Holic

Interesting all these opinions saying $2,500 is a fair price - I have a '76 deluxe, similarly worn (OK, maybe a little worse), also modified for full-size humbuckers and newer tuners. I have always assumed it would be worth less than $1k if I ever wanted to sell it for all the reasons listed.

It is heavy, yes, but for how maligned the Norlin era guitars are, it does play incredibly well and once someone picks it up it is hard to get them to put it down again.

telemnemonics and VWAmTele like this.
  4. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

Another couple of words about my '74:
    1. The weight is 9.7 lbs. As I've, ahem, matured, it has seemed to grow heavier. I wouldn't want to spend a whole night's gig standing with it slung. In fact, I bought a second LP to switch off with it.
    2. This has been a working guitar for its entire life. For twenty years it was my only electric. If you look at the neck volume control above you can see that it stands taller than the rest. Back around 1979 I wore out the original pot from doing the volume swell-violin thing and replaced it myself with a new one that had the wrong, longer shaft. I've kept the original in the case, though. While this guitar has good clear coat and the chrome is bright, it shows a patina everywhere and there are nicks. It photographs well. All this to make the point that a guitar can be used and loved and not beaten to death after forty years.

[​IMG]

Bob

MickM, EsquireBoy, jayyj and 5 others like this.
  5. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I think you just threw my back out, Jake.

- D

jayyj and Jakedog like this.
  6. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

VWAmTele likes this.
  7. Chevalier

Chevalier TDPRI Member

I think you would find people prepared to pay at least 1K...

telemnemonics likes this.
  8. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

Lots of mini humbuckers on the Deluxe got removed and replaced with a Soapbar P-90 that just drops right in to the cutout. Neil Young's tech showed Mike Ness how to do it. The tech would throw the mini humbucker in the trash.
    [​IMG]

Ghostdriver, telemnemonics and Henley like this.
  9. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Cool player.
    Too bad about the sloppy bridge pickup route.
    I saw that one a few days ago.
    Unless it's a SMOKIN' deal, I, out of GPs (General Principles), won't buy from someone whom I feel is not being honest.
    IIRC, the ad said something about being original except for a list of parts...which included the pickups.
    He(?) mentioned the space behind the bridge pickup...
    He seems to know a LOT about this guitar, but fails to mention the fact that the guitar has been routed and cannot be returned to original...instead, he says the pickups have been changed.
    Not terrible...but not good, either.

telemnemonics and Wally like this.
  10. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

Absolutely lovely. My college roommate and bandmate had one that looked like that one.

Bob

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I’m much more surprised by the high prices the also much maligned late CBS era Fenders bring now. Talking later 70s when the pickups got more shrill and the weight got ridiculous.

A 78 Strat is by any stretch not as good as most recent Fender Strats selling for like $600 used.
    A 72 LP is not really a worse guitar than a recent LP that sells for double or triple.

Why would a poor vintage Strat be worth way more than equivalent new but a poor vintage LP be worth less than equivalent new?

Same with routing, if an all original 72 LP is worth $4k why would it lose $3k for routing while Fenders hold more value after butchering?
    Because the Fender is easier to return to a stock appearance?

Buyers of vintage LPs are not looking for mini hums so I don’t see much loss in that mod, aside from the visible gap. I can’t tell from here but I’d bet a good tech could make that look better pretty easily.

Chevalier and Wally like this.
  12. charlie chitlin

What do you folks think about the space by the bridge pickup?
    Could that route be goosed to shift the pickup and hide the route?

13. Chevalier

Chevalier TDPRI Member

Alternatively... just find yourself a beat up Burny Les Paul... bung in your pickups of choice and away you go... save yourself a fortune!

IMG_2659.jpg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    StrangerNY likes this.
  14. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Just MHO, but that's about TWICE the value I'd give it. If it was an unmolested Deluxe with the mini-humbuckers, MAYBE - but that still seems a bit high. Again, IMHO.

15. MaxPlank

MaxPlank TDPRI Member

It seems that Gibson made 9 LP Deluxes with full-sized humbuckers in 1972. This from a 2014 thread on The Les Paul Forum:
    “Re: David Bowie's Les Paul
    I know this is an old thread, but the guitar was a 1972 Deluxe sunburst LP with factory fullsized pickup routes. Gibson made only 9 of these in 1972. They had consecutive serial numbers starting with 6123XX and dark cherry back on the guitar, unlike the usual sunburst back seen on Deluxe models with the mini buckers or the pale back seen on Goldtop models. Presented to David Bowie by Gibson during the 72 tour of USA. It would have been brand new in the Jean Genie promo film. It became Mick Ronsons back up guitar and is not the Tobacco burst he used around 1975.”
    And here’s Bowie playing it:
    0A555922-3A83-441E-BE60-C983B7BB528F.jpeg

Attached Files:

Chevalier and jayyj like this.
  16. charlie chitlin

Well...I got to thinking a lot about that guitar.
    It turns out the guy had a pretty big cushion built in and was willing to take a lot less than the asking price
    It's a killer player and the antiquities sound VERY good.

MickM and jayyj like this.
  17. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

I'll have to introduce you to my 15 1/2lb Les Paul Professional - the only guitar I own that's heavy enough to be uncomfortable to play sitting down!

[​IMG]

charlie chitlin likes this.
  18. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oh, dear. I do love the look of those, though.

The heaviest LP I've ever played belongs to Jay Jay French from Twisted Sister - his 'Pinkburst.' Sucker's 13 pounds if it's an ounce.

[​IMG]

- D

jayyj likes this.
  19. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

My '74 Custom. Never weighed it, but it's absolutely the heaviest guitar I own.

LesPaul.jpg

Norlin era guitars get a bad wrap. Plenty of them are clunkers..but this guitar as well as many others I've played are just as nice (and in some cases superior) as their modern counterparts.

StrangerNY likes this.
  20. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

2006 Les Paul Studio Black 12.5 Lbs owner here.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.